• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

know we all love the box anchor... but what bout this..

I have the small box anchor as well as a heavy richter anchor. I boat on a river with some rocky bottom and some silt/mud.

It works, but it's not the holy grail that some make it out to be IMO. When in strong current, usually the richter holds and the box will drag a bit. It's nice that it folds up, and it's not as heavy. But it comes at a slight cost, IMO. I imagine the box probably outperforms anchors of a similar weight due to design, though.

I have a small box anchor and am on a lake with silt/mud bottom almost all the time. I have had it skip on me, but usually when I have not had enough rode on it. Pay out a little more and it holds firm for me. One of the features I like about it is that it is much more 'fire and forget' than my Danforth. Sometimes, if I need to be sure I stay right here, I will back down on it, but usually I just toss it over with a bunch of rode and it sets itself. The Danforth required me to back down on it every time, of course.

Retrieving the box is also easier. My Danforth got stuck under roots several times. Fortunately, I was able to break it free, but it was tough. Box has never gotten stuck. But it is heavy to pull up, especially with some nice mud stuck all to it.

Speaking of retrieving, does anyone use a ring/bouy setup to retrieve their anchor (box or Danforth)? I saw a couple videos and that seems much nicer than hauling up the anchor by hand against the cleat...

I have a small box anchor and am on a lake with silt/mud bottom almost all the time. I have had it skip on me, but usually when I have not had enough rode on it. Pay out a little more and it holds firm for me. One of the features I like about it is that it is much more 'fire and forget' than my Danforth. Sometimes, if I need to be sure I stay right here, I will back down on it, but usually I just toss it over with a bunch of rode and it sets itself. The Danforth required me to back down on it every time, of course.

Retrieving the box is also easier. My Danforth got stuck under roots several times. Fortunately, I was able to break it free, but it was tough. Box has never gotten stuck. But it is heavy to pull up, especially with some nice mud stuck all to it.

Speaking of retrieving, does anyone use a ring/bouy setup to retrieve their anchor (box or Danforth)? I saw a couple videos and that seems much nicer than hauling up the anchor by hand against the cleat...

I have an "Orval's EZ Pull" and they work amazing for just about all anchors including box anchors. The nice thing about the anchor savor is that it will work on a box anchor whereas the ring and buoy will only work with anchors that have more chain weight than the anchor itself.

Thanks, @sysinu! That looks like an excellent find. Added to my wish list.

Back