• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Erie Boating

Howard Z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Does anyone boat Lake Erie? I'm near Ashtabula and was planning on purchasing a Scarab 255. People have told me that I shouldn't get a jet because it won't handle that lake. I have a hard time believing that it wouldn't handle it. so I was wondering how many Lake Erie Jet Boaters are here and what their experience has been?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are several on here. This just depends what your expectations are if you plan to be able to go out and have a great comfortable ride anytime you like its probably not the boat for you. If you are willing to skip the high wind heavy chop days you will be fine. The biggest thing I do not like about the Scarrabs in big open water is the cockpit doesn't drain overboard it drains into the bilge so if you stuff the bow and take on water you are relying on one bilge pump to keep you going.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used to boat lake Erie but have moved my boat to Lake Cumberland, KY. I would boat around Sandusky and the islands where you would get some protection from the open water. You will not get that in Ashtabula. The lake is choppy and even with 2 footers, it gets bumpy because these boats are light and don't have a deep V hull. If I were to do it again, It would be a center console with a deep V to handle the chop. Even around Cedar Point, the number of boats causes a rough ride with all the traffic causing chop.

razorxp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have taken our 215 to the put in bay once from Catawba and would probably never do it again. Too much chop and no fun for me or passengers. We stick around the protected waters only now.

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's a tough call. I would say you definitely are limited to smooth days on the water on Lake Erie and the summer is short enough as it is. That being said, there are plenty of on the water destinations you could trailer to. I was born and raised on the lake in Erie, Pa. The bay in Erie is a great place to jet boat and ski. Presque Isle State Park is also a beautiful place to boat. I wouldn't let it stop you from purchasing a jet boat...if you have the ability to tow.