• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Erie with a Yamaha 212S

Neuralgroover

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Question for Lake Erie boaters drifting around here...

I'm planning to expand out from inland lakes to Lake Erie too, primarily between Sandusky Bay area and Cedar Point area. I know Lake Erie can get bad fast, so I’m wondering if a 212S should be generally safe for this bay area, or how rough that bay area can get?

Anyone with a 21 footer or smaller that goes out in this area, or even further out, such as to the islands? Any tips of where to avoid around this area (between Sandusky Bay and around Cedar Point area)? Any tips of the best places to go between here? I recall as a kid a really cool sandbar out in that area near Cedar Point, but wouldn't know where to find it now. I've heard that sandbar area can whisk swimmers away pretty fast now too, but not sure sure if that's accurate.

Other than the obvious in terms of storms, etc., what would be your recommendations of when to keep a 21 footer off Lake Erie and stay inland in terms of wave size, or any other boating forecast data specifics?

Thanks!!

LakeErieJB129

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We will be in this area as well with an ar210, I think you just need to make sure you keep an eye on the weather. Lake Erie can get a little choppy out of no where but should be fine on the days that its nice and calm. I know of people who take 19 footers to the islands from Sandusky but just need to be mindful of the weather, I've already downloaded a few apps to have on the tablet onboard and my phone for up to the minute readings.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Neuralgroover Up to 2 footers you are fine. 3 footers time to pick another day or head in/closer to shore. Anything more than that I wouldn't go out. I am on the Great Lakes and rivers all the time and have no issues, just need to be smart. Watch out for the rollers that the large boats put out and manage your boat direction accordingly.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What @HangOutdoors said. 2 footers or less otherwise you and the crew will not be happy, even on the bay.

The sandbar you are referring to is likely bay point sandbar, a very popular spot, and great place to spend the day. I have not experienced any currents there, even on fairly windy days. It’s directly west of Cedar Point across the channel.

If you go out into the lake on a calm day, watch the main channel going out past cedar point. Lots of larger boats coming in and out, the boat wake in Sandusky bay is usually worse than the waves.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We launch a lot on Lake Ontario..awesome sandy beaches, but gets rough sometimes. This about the roughest I feel comfortable in. I've upgraded and use the Danik hook for the anchor and go right to the bow eye, instead of the cleat. The kids love playing in the waves/rollers on shore..

bbollinger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a AR192 and dock in the bay near Johnson Island. The Bay is a perfect spot for smaller boats because there is so much to do when the lake is too rough. We have been to the islands many times and just keep an eye on the weather. Sand bar is a great place to spend your Saturdays

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
https://jetboaters.net/threads/lake-erie-sandbars-beaches-restaurants.31396/#post-519535

We have a couple threads going on this - with links to places of interest, etc...

No issues with the 212S in the Bay - my place is on the Bay and just this past weekend I was out cruising in our small Seadoo Speedster (15 ft boat) and it was rough - kids had fun getting wet (and cold)... but I grew up on the water and know the area/waves/hi/low spots well.

Bay gets more boat chop than anything usually unless you have 20mph winds coming out of the South - then it can kick up 3-4 footers easy but that is rare. LE is different animal. Small craft advisories take serious on LE - I grew up with a 20 foot sunrunner i/o for the most part no issues - just watch the weather forecast.

Avoid the channel between Cedar Point and Battery Park if you can as it gets rolling fast over there - Jet Express takes off from that port and creates hella waves.

BayPoint Sandbar is the sandbar you refer to - lots of bar/restaurants on the bay. Island hoping is fine in a 21 footer if planned out - if launching local - Dempseys Park is a good place to put in or CIC (Catawba Island Club) and its a pretty easy 30 minute ride to Kelly's Island - Putin Bay is a bit further.