• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake George Florida

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Taking my boat to its new home at Lake George Florida this weekend. Looking forward to learning my way around Silver Glen and Salt Springs. If anyone has any tips or advice for the area, please feel free to share.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats! I’m close to the Dora Chain of lakes, but have been on the St. John’s a few times. Lake George is a rather shallow lake, especially by the Springs. You’ll be fine, but just to be mindful not the “idle” in neutral when in the shallows (not sure if you’ve seen the video posted here, but the intake/jet wash creates a vortex sucking up sand/sediment).

I have heard that on busy weekends the springs can be closed off for crowd control purposes, so head out early. I can’t say I’ve been, as one one of my ventures, Silver Glen was closed (early days of COVID when the state was “shut down”).

To the south, down the St. John’s, there is Hontoon Island, a state park that is only accessible by waterway, and there is also blue springs (you can’t boat in spring, but you can “beach” the boat and walk the park and see the springs from the boardwalk. Never been North of Lake George, but have heard its a nice cruise up to Palatka.

What I’ve noticed about the St. John’s is that on breezier days (winds 10-15), its still a pretty calm water way, as it meanders through the thick swampy forest, so its shielded from the wind, and the waves typically don’t build. You do still need to be mindful where it intersects with other larger bodies of water, as it can get kicked up (Lake George, Lake Dexter, Lake Monroe if you venture that far south).

Don’t know if you have any “mapping/guidance” software, but it might be helpful until you learn some of the landmarks. Three other things to note 1) The bombing range and associated pillings; 2) The “Cow Pens” on the south side of the lake for safe navigation back into the Saint John, 3) apparently the lake has a rather high SALT content, so be mindful of finishing and flushing your boat. The first link is the NOAA chart, the 2nd is a rather interesting read about the lake and clearly shows the “bombing range”.

https://charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/11495.pdf
Lake George Information Guide - Florida Lakes

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I love silver Glenn, we make it out once a year. For sure get there by 10ish by the latest.
The lake seems pretty decent for water sports. Disappointed there is only one bar on the second biggest lake in the state.

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats! I’m close to the Dora Chain of lakes, but have been on the St. John’s a few times. Lake George is a rather shallow lake, especially by the Springs. You’ll be fine, but just to be mindful not the “idle” in neutral when in the shallows (not sure if you’ve seen the video posted here, but the intake/jet wash creates a vortex sucking up sand/sediment).

I have heard that on busy weekends the springs can be closed off for crowd control purposes, so head out early. I can’t say I’ve been, as one one of my ventures, Silver Glen was closed (early days of COVID when the state was “shut down”).

To the south, down the St. John’s, there is Hontoon Island, a state park that is only accessible by waterway, and there is also blue springs (you can’t boat in spring, but you can “beach” the boat and walk the park and see the springs from the boardwalk. Never been North of Lake George, but have heard its a nice cruise up to Palatka.

What I’ve noticed about the St. John’s is that on breezier days (winds 10-15), its still a pretty calm water way, as it meanders through the thick swampy forest, so its shielded from the wind, and the waves typically don’t build. You do still need to be mindful where it intersects with other larger bodies of water, as it can get kicked up (Lake George, Lake Dexter, Lake Monroe if you venture that far south).

Don’t know if you have any “mapping/guidance” software, but it might be helpful until you learn some of the landmarks. Three other things to note 1) The bombing range and associated pillings; 2) The “Cow Pens” on the south side of the lake for safe navigation back into the Saint John, 3) apparently the lake has a rather high SALT content, so be mindful of finishing and flushing your boat. The first link is the NOAA chart, the 2nd is a rather interesting read about the lake and clearly shows the “bombing range”.

https://charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/11495.pdf
Lake George Information Guide - Florida Lakes
Thanks for the info! We just got back and all I can say is WOW. We love the springs and can't wait to go back when it isn't so crowded. We didn't really have any issues with depth, though I know I'm going to have some issues with my dock. I may have to buy a trolling motor for docking when the water level is lower. We only put in 120' of dock and I only had 2ft of depth this weekend. I kept an eye on the pisser and only saw a little sand once, it went away as soon as I got moving. We saw quite a few yamaha's and a couple of scarabs which made me feel better operating on the lake.

I didn't know that they had no alcohol policy at the Glen until we arrived with a full cooler. We laid low but law enforcement was over the top. They were extremely aggressive. They caught a boat with a cooler full of beer and ended up cuffing the guys on board. I've never seen that before, all I've ever seen them do is confiscate the beer and maybe issue a citation. Salt springs was much more chill but not as gorgeous. We even found a rope spring on the run that the kids enjoyed. We had no idea any of this was here when we bought the place, we just knew it was a big lake and found out about the springs after the fact. 10/10 we love the place and will be spending a lot of time here going forward.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The guys had to been obvious, the cops are looking for targets.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you bowfish, Salt Springs offers some good opportunities. We shot very big mullet in March one year, but the big draw is the Tilapia; they come in from Lake George in the winter. They hold in the big bowl where the boat ramp/marina is located.

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you bowfish, Salt Springs offers some good opportunities. We shot very big mullet in March one year, but the big draw is the Tilapia; they come in from Lake George in the winter. They hold in the big bowl where the boat ramp/marina is located.
Thanks for the info. We have no idea how to fish the place, yet. I think bowfishing would be perfect for my boys. Probably going to pick up some crab traps as well.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

JetSet407

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was there yesterday and visit a couple times per year. There has been an increase in Law Enforcement presence due to the recent shooting near Astor and the "rowdiness" in the past. You cannot drink alcohol there but everyone does, just conceal it. Usually I've seen them ask people to leave if they get caught, never seen anyone arrested so maybe they were trying to make a point? Also I noticed yesterday it was much more subdued and quieter than years past for a holiday, which is a good thing. @jocolo21 Maybe you need to revisit lol. But its definitely not a place I want to "party" going forward, more to chill or for the kids.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've had the boiled peanuts a few times from that guy in the back lol

zackmorris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I launch on 1792/I4 ramp (Debary side) on the St Johns and will run north to Blue Springs or Hontoon. There are a few rope swings on the way that are fun-- just watch for broken glass. Water shoes are a must with the kids.

I haven't been to Silver Glen in years. I'll have to swing out there again soon.