• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Hopatcong trouble?

lakesend

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone, I am close to pulling the trigger on the Yamaha SX210. We have access to a slip on Lake Hopatcong. The dealer is saying of course the weeds there are no problem, but locally the marinas are all saying you have to have a prop (since they don't sell jet). Does anyone dock on Lake Hopatcong? Or spend a lot of time there? I'd like to make sure as the weed situation here is definitely unique. Thanks so much!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone, I am close to pulling the trigger on the Yamaha SX210. We have access to a slip on Lake Hopatcong. The dealer is saying of course the weeds there are no problem, but locally the marinas are all saying you have to have a prop (since they don't sell jet). Does anyone dock on Lake Hopatcong? Or spend a lot of time there? I'd like to make sure as the weed situation here is definitely unique. Thanks so much!
We are in the great cove in LHM, Lake Hopatcong Marine. Yes, where we slip everyone is told to buy a real ski boat, lol. Ron will hook you up!

But seriously, yes the lake is fine. Yes, there are weeds. Yes, there is plenty of clear water in this lake. We were lucky to get a slip which is at the head/front of outer-most dock and it is more exposed but also pretty clear water, some of the inside/more secluded slips can be more overgrown with weed by mid-summer, so I would take notice.
But actually bigger issue than weeds (as far as water sports) is weekend congestion. Need to get out early to not have to fight junk water from hundreds of boats' wakes. It is a gorgeous lake with plenty of restaurants, amazing views, and friendly crowds. Zero concerns for running a jet boat, overall.

--

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
When I've run through weed patches I bump up my No-Wake mode to get those blender blades chopping - I may even do some "bursts" with the throttle. Haven't had an issue yet.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep my boat at Greenwood lake which is 40 minutes north of Lake Hopatcong. Between mid may and mid June I cannot use my boat because of all the seaweed on the south end of the lake. Of course my marina is at the southern most tip and you can walk on the seaweed about a 1/2 mile! Once the water warms up the seaweed dies and everything is fine. Some seaweed is no problem like patches, if it is solid you will have an issues.

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
I’m on Hopat with waverunners. There’s a few acres on the entire lake I won’t go. A non-issue. EVERY marina on the lake bad mouths jet boats lol. Reach out, the Cobalt is in (at stone water) and the waverunners soon (Johnny’s) You need to come out with me 6am on a weekday, we‘ll go 70.:) Check son 2

@lakesend
they go in Wednesday! You’ll be on moms red SHO

Last edited:

06c6z06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can image the lake now. I was in the Army at Picatinny Arsenal in the 69 to 71 time frame and a close friend had a place on the lake. Its great late or early but gets very busy during the day. We when out for the fireworks on the 4th and when I got back I kissed the land. I have never seen such crazy's at night. Would never do that again! Too small of lake for too many boats at night. Great lake though!!!!

AshleyPro83

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Husband is from Hopatcong and I'm from Long Valley, we live down south now (thank God lol, we don't miss Jersey!). That lake was busy years ago, I can't imagine how busy is gets now!! The weeds were terrible when I used to go with family out boating. I don't have any advice but stay safe, especially on busy holidays, it's crazy out there!

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
We love our lake. Have tons of friends what we dislike is 9k real estate taxes

AshleyPro83

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Ouch! Yeah, I don't miss those NJ taxes. Our families still live there and boat on the lake. They enjoy it too, but not the taxes either.