• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Powell, RV or hotel? What do you recommend?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, we ended up going to lake Travis last year for our trip, we had a great time renting a house with a private boat dock.

I now own a fifth wheel and I’m thinking about double towing the RV and boat to Powell.

The idea with double towing and taking the RV is we would stop at carlsbad on the way there and stop at white sand nationals park on the way back. Would be a 10-11 day trip with 4-5 days at Powell. Alsoas of September 1st we will live full time in our fifth wheel.

Should I be concerned that the lake is already 15 feet below its average this year?

what are the best maps for navigating the lake when the water is low?

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, we ended up going to lake Travis last year for our trip, we had a great time renting a house with a private boat dock.

I now own a fifth wheel and I’m thinking about double towing the RV and boat to Powell.

The idea with double towing and taking the RV is we would stop at carlsbad on the way there and stop at white sand nationals park on the way back. Would be a 10-11 day trip with 4-5 days at Powell. Alsoas of September 1st we will live full time in our fifth wheel.

Should I be concerned that the lake is already 15 feet below its average this year?

what are the best maps for navigating the lake when the water is low?
Lake Powell is still 500’ deep at the damn. The lake level may drop another 10-15 feet by September but that won’t have any impact on the usability of the lake.

What are your plans about where to stay? Wahweap Marina has an RV Park about ¼ mile from the lake. Views from there are great and they have full hookups. They are busy that time of year so I would recommend booking a spot now.

If you’re interested in dry camping you can stay on Lone Rock beach. It’s all primitive, no hookups, but you can camp right on the water with your boat tied up on the beach through the duration of your trip. Lone Rock is maybe 5 miles north of the Wahweap facilities so still close proximity to Page. Only thing to caution about Lone Rock is that the sand is soft and it is very easy to get stuck. Bring some plywood and a shovel so if you bury your tow vehicle you can get yourself out. South of the main road in is much softer than the north side.

Powell is majestic, there is no place like it. September is one of the best months on the lake as well. It’s still warm and for the most part it’s past the stormy seasons (which are 10 of the other 11 months of the year). Feel free to ask if you have any questions and enjoy your trip!

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake Powell is still 500’ deep at the damn. The lake level may drop another 10-15 feet by September but that won’t have any impact on the usability of the lake.

What are your plans about where to stay? Wahweap Marina has an RV Park about ¼ mile from the lake. Views from there are great and they have full hookups. They are busy that time of year so I would recommend booking a spot now.

If you’re interested in dry camping you can stay on Lone Rock beach. It’s all primitive, no hookups, but you can camp right on the water with your boat tied up on the beach through the duration of your trip. Lone Rock is maybe 5 miles north of the Wahweap facilities so still close proximity to Page. Only thing to caution about Lone Rock is that the sand is soft and it is very easy to get stuck. Bring some plywood and a shovel so if you bury your tow vehicle you can get yourself out. South of the main road in is much softer than the north side.

Powell is majestic, there is no place like it. September is one of the best months on the lake as well. It’s still warm and for the most part it’s past the stormy seasons (which are 10 of the other 11 months of the year). Feel free to ask if you have any questions and enjoy your trip!
i am currently looking at wahweap campground. We will boondock our way there and back so I think full hookups when we’re there will be the plan. It’s only $350for the 5 nights. Although we can go a week easy with out dumping our tanks.

i have a chart plotter on the boat, simrad with insight maps. I have the navionics maps but they don’t seem to have any detail.

what mapping system or map of the lake would you recommend so I have an idea of where the rocksans Shallow spots are?

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i am currently looking at wahweap campground. We will boondock our way there and back so I think full hookups when we’re there will be the plan. It’s only $350for the 5 nights. Although we can go a week easy with out dumping our tanks.

i have a chart plotter on the boat, simrad with insight maps. I have the navionics maps but they don’t seem to have any detail.

what mapping system or map of the lake would you recommend so I have an idea of where the rocksans Shallow spots are?
Wahweap is nice and I think you will enjoy. If you don’t want to launch and retrieve daily they rent slips in the Wahweap marina for about $30/day. Just book early.

The only map I’ve used there is the Navionics app on my phone. Used it once on one trip and found it to be very accurate. It reported depths about +/- a foot everywhere I went. Without being familiar with the lake I highly recommend maps though. If you travel back into canyons it’s easy to get lost. Also, you can tell by looking at the topography above the water how quickly and drastically it can change under the water.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One more thing to keep an eye on...because of this panic-demic there are very limited services available across the Navajo Nation, primarily on weekends. Regardless of the direction you’re coming in from you will be traveling through a vast expanse of the reservation. As of right now they are completely closed for services on weekends except for pay at the pump gas. Hopefully this crap calms down by September but my guess is that the hysteria is only going to increase between now and November.

Once at the lake you should be fine. Aramark is the concessioner for the Wahweap facilities and their facilities are close to if not completely open. Tours and such are still closed but everything else is fine.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the heads up. The navionics ap can be downloaded and used without internet correct? I’m guessing the cell service is non existent on the lake correct?

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never had an issue while using it even though cell service is spotty. It must not rely solely on the cell signal.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the heads up. The navionics ap can be downloaded and used without internet correct? I’m guessing the cell service is non existent on the lake correct?
Download your map ahead of time and you'll be fine. You may want to turn off your cell signal for data. Navionics gets fussy when the connection for data goes in/out/in/out.