• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Tuscaloosa, AL to now charge boat launch site fees

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We use this lake often over the last few years and when we pulled the boats out yesterday I noticed a new sign was erected. Apparently the Tuscaloosa County Parks and Recreation Authority (PARA) is now charging a fee to use the public launch sites. It is pretty expensive. I did not see anyone put money into the little fee box as I think most people aren't that aware of it since it only went into effect last month. Unfortunately I do not think I will be using this lake as often now but I wanted to give anyone on here a heads up of they are planning to visit this beautiful lake.

http://www.tcpara.org/posts/2018/05/23/para-to-charge-fees-at-two-boat-launches

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, it’s like we live in different countries not just states. Here in CA launch fees are the norm not the exception.

Two, examples, five years ago they opened up a new ramp in Antioch for acces to the Sacramento River Delta, it’s always been $5 to launch. There is NO annual lower annual fee option. Payment via electronic kiosk. If you don’t pay, you get a for ticket by mail and of you don’t pay that you won’t be able to reregister the tow vehicle until all Unpaid fees are paid.

Yesterday I went to a state park that I’ve been going to for 20 plus years. $20 years ago it was $2 to launch, yesterday I paid $18. They are there to take your money personally, if you don’t pay you don’t enter the park.

In light of the above, $5 per day or $25 per year sounds like a bargain, my $25 would already be paid .

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes you live in a different country called California. You guys are used to getting ripped a new one so you're just accustomed to it by now.

The way it is here on the larger lakes, all of the major launches will have a fee of for using their facilities and parking. I don't have an issue with this larger well kept facilities. However there is usually at least some launches that are not major and do not have a fee. Lake Tuscaloosa is not a large lake and it only has a few launches that now all of them are controlled by this authority. It's not $25 a year it's $125 a year + $25 processing fee (really? It's freaking 2018 everything is electronic.) is expensive when I factor in the extra drive to go there compared to closer lakes which don't charge to use their launches. The launch I use needs a new dock as the current one is half broken from last year and has large metal pylons to destroy your boat if you're not careful. The parking grounds is dirt and gravel so there is no upkeep. There are trash bins but that's it as far as facilities goes. Basically it's a slab of concrete with some dirt parking area. No restrooms, marina, gas, picnic tables, nothing. You're paying to put your boat on the water. I wouldn't have an issue if it had ammenties and a decent dock.

Just putting it out there so people know ahead of time. I highly doubt people will put their $5 in the honor drop box though lol.

Last edited:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow, it’s like we live in different countries not just states. Here in CA launch fees are the norm not the exception.

Two, examples, five years ago they opened up a new ramp in Antioch for acces to the Sacramento River Delta, it’s always been $5 to launch. There is NO annual lower annual fee option. Payment via electronic kiosk. If you don’t pay, you get a for ticket by mail and of you don’t pay that you won’t be able to reregister the tow vehicle until all Unpaid fees are paid.

Yesterday I went to a state park that I’ve been going to for 20 plus years. $20 years ago it was $2 to launch, yesterday I paid $18. They are there to take your money personally, if you don’t pay you don’t enter the park.

In light of the above, $5 per day or $25 per year sounds like a bargain, my $25 would already be paid .
I thought CA was a different country

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Excluding state parks, there is only 1 public ramp out of many that I frequent in N. AL that charges a launch fee. And it's on an honor system and only a $2 fee.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$7 in Washington State or an $80 annual fee. The annual pass also gives you access to the dump stations for campers.