• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Launching Options in Southwest Florida

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Long story short, I'm looking for forklift/hoist boat launching options (and maybe short term trailer storage) in the Fort Myers area.

We'll be on Captiva for a week in a few months, and our rental house has a slip. Our new boat just came in... on a painted trailer. Apparently Yamaha can't get enough galvanized trailers from Shoreland'r to spare any for the landlocked states despite our order/request. The painted trailer looks great, but I'd rather not dip it in salt water so soon.

Quote I just got from Loadmaster for a galvanized replacement was around $9k with a 5-6 month lead time, so I'd like to avoid going the route of using it until it rusts and replacing it.

There are probably closer marinas that can forklift you in, but Fish Tale Marina on Estero Island might help you.

there are plenty of self service car washes in the area.. hose the trailer off really nice as soon as you can and it will be fine. Use saltaway

there are plenty of self service car washes in the area.. hose the trailer off really nice as soon as you can and it will be fine. Use saltaway
You will need saltaway for the engines and boat wash down anyway!

Dont know if its in this forum but someone I read before. He used his painted trailer in salt water and go to the lake to rinse it after each use, cant remember any other detail though if its effective or not.

Dont know if its in this forum but someone I read before. He used his painted trailer in salt water and go to the lake to rinse it after each use, cant remember any other detail though if its effective or not.
That was my thinking as well, since salt water would be getting inside the frame of the trailer where the car wash won't reach. I plan on launching at a lake on the way home to cruise for a bit and to dip the trailer in addition to flushing with saltaway. I just worry about what will happen inside the trailer during the week while we're there.

That was my thinking as well, since salt water would be getting inside the frame of the trailer where the car wash won't reach. I plan on launching at a lake on the way home to cruise for a bit and to dip the trailer in addition to flushing with saltaway. I just worry about what will happen inside the trailer during the week while we're there.
Another option for you is launch up caloosahatchee river, right before the bay and ride to your rental property. I am not sure how far to get pure freshwater but you can check davis boat ramp. It will be 20 mile boat ride to captiva but you will probably explore tampa bay anyway.

If it were my painted trailer I would not put it in salt water period

If it were my painted trailer I would not put it in salt water period

That doesn't work for everyone and a bit unrealistic. I will be down in Florida this summer and will have to launch in salt water a couple of times with my painted trailer.

I like the advise of dipping it into a lake real quick, great suggestion @fatboyroy , after using salt away.

What’s realistic is getting a galvanized trailer for salt water. Grew up in the northeast and have seen what salt does to metal and it gets inside everywhere and then rusts inside out. Washing it in a lake won’t do much and you’ll see the blistering in a couple years and then it’s game on.

No that is not realistic. I am not going to spend 6-9k to get an aftermarket galvanized trailer. It was not available when I bought the boat, which came on a painted trailer and I boat in the Great Lakes area. I will probably only see salt water maybe a handful of times over the coming years, until I change out my boat at which point I would get a galvanized trailer. Finding solutions and offering suggestions to mitigate launching in salt water on a painted trailer for those of us whom will do it very rarely is important and very useful.

I do agree that having a galvanized or aluminum trailer if you are planning on being in salt water is important. But to infer that everyone needs an aluminum or galvanized trailer or they should never launch in salt water if needed is a bit absurd.

One of those guys huh! Sell it before the rust shows up and tell the buyer fresh water only. FYI They make galvanized trailers for a reason and yes they cost more for a reason. Got it.

One of those guys huh! Sell it before the rust shows up and tell the buyer fresh water only. FYI They make galvanized trailers for a reason and yes they cost more for a reason. Got it.

Now you are assuming something. You are just one of those clowns I guess. Every now and then they show up.

It’s been a while since I launched in saltwater with my painted trailer so not sure I’m recalling correctly. But I believe I washed it down with a hose and then sprayed the entire thing with dry silicone (I believe) and left it in a lot for a week. Salt is in the air too. No damage that I can tell.

Why would somebody buy a galvanized trailer if they live nowhere near the ocean. Only to launch in salt water maybe once a year or every other year. Lmfao

Why would somebody buy a galvanized trailer if they live nowhere near the ocean. Only to launch in salt water maybe once a year or every other year. Lmfao
Umm, could it be that all it takes is one good dose of saltwater on the weld
pin holes and the corrosion begins? Like the OP stated already, they plan to sell within a couple years the new buyer will not know the difference.

pin holes and the corrosion begins? Like the OP stated already, they plan to sell within a couple years the new buyer will not know the difference.

I am the OP of this thread and I did not say that. You've certainly done a lot of putting words in peoples mouths the past few days.

I am the OP of this thread and I did not say that. You've certainly done a lot of putting words in peoples mouths the past few days.
Based on all the comments from hang I mistook him as the OP but here you go and I didn’t put words in anyones mouths.

Attachments

• D37FEFB5-9D35-4F24-829E-BC12F8D75AC8.jpeg
    D37FEFB5-9D35-4F24-829E-BC12F8D75AC8.jpeg
    979.8 KB · Views: 7

Based on all the comments from hang I mistook him as the OP but here you go and I didn’t put words in anyones mouths.

The issue is that you assumed that I wouldn't disclose that I launched in salt water, additionally your statement infers that most people do the same. No one in this thread stated nor indicated that the "New buyer will never know" or any attempt to mask it, which you clearly inferred was the case or the motive of the thread. The thread is about mitigating. You made that assumption and the projection.

In your first accusatory post that I referenced above, you clearly felt the need to label me and my intentions. So you clearly did "Put Words in Someone's Mouth", since what you indicated was not mentioned or eluded to, with respect to selling and hiding things from a buyer.

Last edited:
Back