• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Launching / Trailering

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How far do you guys put your bunks into the water when loading or launching? I launched my boat for the first time today and I feel like I put them way to far into the water. First launching - the winch let out like 5 ft when I released it and the boat just flew backwards. Then, when loading the bow was coming in below the roller. Looking online it seems the proper way is 2/3 of bunks in the water. I was easily 100% + 2-3 ft and wondering if that was the reason it was so difficult.

Also, when loading do you drive right up to the bow roller? Any risk of sucking up sand, stones, etc. in that shallow water right at the launch?

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t pay attention to the bunks. I don’t think I can see them in my mirror. Idk maybe I can, never really paid attention. When loading, I get the trailer fenders completely submerged and back it it up another foot or two. I don’t want the salt water getting into the brakes/underside of my truck.
When launching I’m just looking for for the boat to start floating, and not get the truck wet. I control the winch handle and don’t let it go flying. Sometimes I have to give it a good shove to get it off the trailer. I could probably reverse it off but I don’t want look like a idiot and/or have to get back off the boat to push it off the trailer.

Depending on the situation sometimes I hand load and just pull the boat onto the trailer, sometimes I power load and drive the boat onto the trailer. If I’m power loading I go pretty slow, once the boat stops I give it a quick light tap of power that moves us a couple inches so the boat don’t back off the trailer as I’m getting out to winch it. I usually have to winch up a foot or two. I feel 0 need to try get it on the roller without the winch, come in to hot you could damage something.

And yes, gunning it in shallow water can suck up stuff, which is another reason I do the slow steady approach.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don’t pay attention to the bunks. I don’t think I can see them in my mirror. Idk maybe I can, never really paid attention. When loading, I get the trailer fenders completely submerged and back it it up another foot or two. I don’t want the salt water getting into the brakes/underside of my truck.
When launching I’m just looking for for the boat to start floating, and not get the truck wet. I control the winch handle and don’t let it go flying. Sometimes I have to give it a good shove to get it off the trailer. I could probably reverse it off but I don’t want look like a idiot and/or have to get back off the boat to push it off the trailer.

Depending on the situation sometimes I hand load and just pull the boat onto the trailer, sometimes I power load and drive the boat onto the trailer. If I’m power loading I go pretty slow, once the boat stops I give it a quick light tap of power that moves us a couple inches so the boat don’t back off the trailer as I’m getting out to winch it. I usually have to winch up a foot or two. I feel 0 need to try get it on the roller without the winch, come in to hot you could damage something.

And yes, gunning it in shallow water can suck up stuff, which is another reason I do the slow steady approach.
Thanks! I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to throw a spare winch strap in the truck as a an emergency backup. Seems to be quite a bit of force on those straps pulling the boat up on the roller.

Dan B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How far do you guys put your bunks into the water when loading or launching? I launched my boat for the first time today and I feel like I put them way to far into the water. First launching - the winch let out like 5 ft when I released it and the boat just flew backwards. Then, when loading the bow was coming in below the roller. Looking online it seems the proper way is 2/3 of bunks in the water. I was easily 100% + 2-3 ft and wondering if that was the reason it was so difficult.

Also, when loading do you drive right up to the bow roller? Any risk of sucking up sand, stones, etc. in that shallow water right at the launch?
When I launch I take off the safety chain. Let loose like 3-4 solid turns on the strap and all good. Of course ramp plays a huge part in all of this. And when loading I go 2/3-3/4 in and run it up to roller or close to. Hook and crank up. Attach safety chain and pull out. Now bow below the roller happened to me when I loaded on a steep ramp. Watch alignment, I got crooked one time.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When I launch I take off the safety chain. Let loose like 3-4 solid turns on the strap and all good. Of course ramp plays a huge part in all of this. And when loading I go 2/3-3/4 in and run it up to roller or close to. Hook and crank up. Attach safety chain and pull out. Now bow below the roller happened to me when I loaded on a steep ramp. Watch alignment, I got crooked one time.
Yeah the first time we pulled it out the alignment was off (I think due to people sitting in the boat on one side) so we had to back it up and redo it. Once they moved to the middle it sat down properly. Also the fact that we were way too far back in the water and the boat was still floating wasn't helping.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to throw a spare winch strap in the truck as a an emergency backup. Seems to be quite a bit of force on those straps pulling the boat up on the roller.
Probably not a bad idea. I’ll add that my technique is usually me unloading/loading solo, or at least me doing the truck and boat driving parts. I find it much less stressful to do my thing by myself. Eventually I’ll get the wife more involved as the kids get older. If I had someone driving the truck while I was in the boat I would do my unloading a bit different.

Do you have the pvc pipe trailer guides? Best $100 Ive spent. They keep you pretty straight even on those windy/heavy current days.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Probably not a bad idea. I’ll add that my technique is usually me unloading/loading solo, or at least me doing the truck and boat driving parts. I find it much less stressful to do my thing by myself. Eventually I’ll get the wife more involved as the kids get older. If I had someone driving the truck while I was in the boat I would do my unloading a bit different.

Do you have the pvc pipe trailer guides? Best $100 Ive spent. They keep you pretty straight even on those windy/heavy current days.
Yes, the trailer came with guides. They were very helpful even just to know what angle the trailer is on in the water.