• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Leak, Intermediate Housing?

dordelli

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Took my 2004 LX210 out today and discovered water dripping into the engine compartment at the lower rear of my port engine. I assume this means I need to replace the intermediate housing, could it be anything else? I've never greased this bearing, might that help to slow it down? Where is the fitting to grease it? Attaching a pic of where the water is coming in.

Attachments

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had to replace mine and it is a very common problem. You could try greasing it and there is a zerk fitting found on the rear of the engine. Just follow the tube that runs from the intermediate housing and you will see an end that may have a cap on it. Take that off and you should see the grease, zero fitting. Don't put in too much since that can force the seals to move and leak.

Greasing didn't work for me though so you may have to plan on replacing when the season is over.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I had an LX 2000 it got a leak in the intermediate housing and I had to have it replaced. I also tried greasing first but it only made the leak worse. Good luck...

dordelli

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Thanks guys, of course it starts leaking just a few days before our family boating vacation to the Colorado river. Was gonna try to get into the bilge today to make sure it's clean and to check out my bilge pump but geez how do you find the screw/hose clamp to loosen the clean out plug tube, do u need to squeeze into the engine compartment and just feel around? Even with a flash light I could not find and gave up. Instead I ran the hose into the bilge and watched the bilge pump cycle on and off removing the water, seems like I should be ok for a couple days on the water and will just leave the engine compartment plugs out.

Anyone know how much a shop should charge to replace the bearing housing, not sure I wanna tackle it myself?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you saying that you plan to leave the boat in the water? I wouldn't if you have a choice. On the other hand, my intermediate only leaked when the engine was actually running so maybe that is the same with you.

I did both of my housings and I had to unbolt the engine to do it. Like anything, it looks easy but when an engine mount doesn't loosen the fun can begin. I would charge every bit of 4 hours to do the job and I expect a service place will say it is at least that. Then add the cost of the part(s) and pressing the bearings. I am only guessing when I say this is $500/side and I think I am being conservative.

dordelli

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Are you saying that you plan to leave the boat in the water? I wouldn't if you have a choice. On the other hand, my intermediate only leaked when the engine was actually running so maybe that is the same with you.

I did both of my housings and I had to unbolt the engine to do it. Like anything, it looks easy but when an engine mount doesn't loosen the fun can begin. I would charge every bit of 4 hours to do the job and I expect a service place will say it is at least that. Then add the cost of the part(s) and pressing the bearings. I am only guessing when I say this is $500/side and I think I am being conservative.
No, I'm not gonna leave in the water, just a couple of full days on the river but will spend the nights on the trailer. Maybe I'll try to tackle it myself if it can wait till the winter and probably smart to do both while I am at it. I'd love to get my jet drives powder coated too while they are off, and maybe some shiny new solas impellers. Seems reasonable with all the money I'm saving by fixing myself right?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems reasonable with all the money I'm saving by fixing myself right?
I think so and good thinking. I powder coated the gates, replaced the impellers, replaced the impeller ducts, and replaced the impeller liners with the plastic, replaceable versions. Brand new from the drive shaft back. You will learn so much about the jet system and I recommend doing it if you have the time and patience. I don't have the patience and I still got it done.

Yamatuf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Island Racing offers the complete Housing unit with bearings and seals complete. Just remove old housing, press out shaft and then press into the new housing(make sure you measure correctly for protrusion .370" -.410"). My right side was leaking and I replaced both units. After removal I noticed both units back rubber seal was shot. This was the main rubber seal attached to the housings casting.
If you elect to just replace the shaft seals, I have all the seals for the complete unit/ both sides - PM me and we can work something out. I elected to purchase complete unit from Island Racing / Tony minus the shaft.