• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Leaking oil. Should I get this to a dealership immediately?

DaytonFlyer1068

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I think my boat is leaking oil at the back of the starboard engine. I was able to get my phone wedged down there and took these photos. Looks like it’s leaking at the bottom underneath where the engine starts toward intermediate bearing area. We were planning on keeping the boat in a slip for a family trip for another week. Should I take it to the dealership immediately? Looks like the longer I run the engine the more comes out. I checked the oil level and it’s normal. Nothing when stopped and I haven’t changed the oil since April. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you seeing additional oil leakage?

Is she under warranty?

Could the oil have been left from the oil change?

DaytonFlyer1068

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
No other oil leaking. I just renewed my YES warranty last month (so glad I did that now) for an additional three years. Haven’t changed the oil since April.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would clean the leaked oil up and check the oil level often. If it doesn’t get worse I’d finish the season and then take it to the dealer for repairs.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Looks minor. As others have said, clean up and monitor. Finish the season if you don’t see anything major.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you check your oil filters? Wondering if it is leaking from there. They may need a tighten. Also one of the seals may be bad or not seating on the oil filter. Seen this happen quite a few times.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I thought the same thing. Checked those first hoping for a quick fix.
Are you sure there is not a small pinhole in one of them? I would put a towel or paper towel around them and their base and then run the engine and see if it absorbs anything. Hoping it is something simple. Grasping a bit for you :)

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had this exact same issue on my port motor 2 years ago. It WAS a $13 rear engine/magneto seal. I would recommend you DO NOT clean up the oil. Save all pictures and bring it in as is. Also, take a picture of your Connext showing the engine hours. I dropped it off at my dealer without cleaning anything up and emailed pictures to them. Even after not cleaning it and emailing pictures, I had issues with my dealer trying to tell me that because "that because they couldn't SEE it physically leaking they couldn't really file a warranty claim." I refused to pick it up the two times they called saying they couldn't replicate the problem. Finally owner agreed to fix it if it did it again if I would pick it up. My warranty actually ran out while it was at the dealership. I took it straight home. Put it in the water for little less than an hour and sure enough it leaked again. I took pictures and video of the oil in the hull and under the shaft cover. They finally fixed it after a second set of pictures and about 1200 miles of me hauling it back and forth to the dealer. PM me if you need any more information. The seal is number 13 in this diagram. Part #: 6S5-81167-10-00 $29.32NTM2NDMyNQ-77e90b67.png

Last edited:

DaytonFlyer1068

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
@Levi Weatherford thank you so much for your reply! Another example of why this forum is so great! Did they have to remove the engine to complete this job? If not it seems pretty easy to fix.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good wrenching skills and basic tools are better than any warranty. The gratification of the completed repair make the busted knuckles worth it.

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Levi Weatherford thank you so much for your reply! Another example of why this forum is so great! Did they have to remove the engine to complete this job? If not it seems pretty easy to fix.
Yes, they removed the engine. It’s not a hard job and my next step was to just do it myself but I just thought they were being ridiculous so I persisted. “We have to see it leaking.” You can hardly get a phone in this area to take a picture. How are you gonna get your head down there and see the oil coming out?

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good wrenching skills and basic tools are better than any warranty. The gratification of the completed repair make the busted knuckles worth it.
I totally agree with you and I normally take care of things myself. I have always lived by “If you want things done right, do them yourself.” These days this statement has never been so true.