• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Leaving Plugs In

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We went to the lake on the 4th, and we were going to return on the 5th but my son got sick overnight and we didn't make it back down. For the first time ever I left the plugs in, thinking I would be back the next day, now we won't be back till next weekend. The boat is dry stored, would you all anticipate any issues leaving the plugs in for a week or so?

No problem... I just wouldn't make a habit of it. I think they can seize up if you leave them in for months at a time.

Yeah that's my concern, just wasn't sure how long before worries about swelling should kick in.

Shouldn't be an issue. You'll be fine.

I wouldn't worry one bit. "Most" of the time the horror stories we see posted about stuck plugs are from people that left their plugs in for many months or years. There are a few tricks to get them out on the FAQ section if they do get sticky, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

No problem with doing that occasionally in FRESH water. It's us salty dogs that have to be most careful.

I only take mine out about every other moth or so. I clean the seals and ports and replace. But we don't do any salt water boating.

Thanks all for the reassurance. Given the lack of salt water in central KY I should be just fine. ;)

I pull my plugs out maybe 3 times a season. No problems at all if you are in freshwater.

I have left mine in several times, just like you by mistake. I have not suffered from it greatly, but I did notice that the plugs were tighter after having done it. I think your fine. But if it was in the water, it would definitely be tighter. In dry stack, I think it isn't an issue, but the compression long term on your gasket/seal will take a toll, it is better not having that, so when you get a chance, you can release the pressure and store outside the tube.

Thanks all for the reassurance. Given the lack of salt water in central KY I should be just fine. ;)
If they do get stuck, y'all got plenty of moonshine in KY to pop them suckers out with a little shine and a match !!

Concensus is not a problem. Just my anal self would pull them and put them back in prior to your next launch.

That's my $.02

I agree with everyone (and have left them in myself in the situation you describe).

Hint: every now and then use some silicone on the rubber gasket around the circumference of the plug. I use the stuff from the pool store that you put on pool gaskets, but I understand that WD40 will also do in a pinch. Keeps that gasket good as new.

Not to start anything, but I wouldn't recommend the use of WD on the rubber seals. Petroleum based products don't typically play well with rubber. I'm not sure exactly what those seals are made of, so I would err on the side of caution. But that's just me...
Real silicone is OK, I prefer 303 and Meguire's Natural Shine Rubber and Vinyl Protectant on rubber parts. I've also heard good things about a product called Krytox.

It's made by DuPont as a vacuum pump and aerospace lubricant/sealant.
Originally developed for the U.S. Space Program, Krytox® Fluorinated Lubricants are a family of synthetic oils and greases that perform where conventional lubricants fail. They exhibit superior lubricity, high load carrying ability and extra wear protection. Excellent for high temperature and chemically aggressive environments.

I figure if it's made for airplanes and rocket ships, it ought to be OK for my boat.

@Glassman , all comments toward furthering better understanding are good in my book. So please don't worry about 'starting something'.

I (mistakenly, as it turns out) thought that WD40 had silicone in it. It does not. However, it is listed as being safe for rubber parts. See http://wd40.com/faqs/#a98.

That said, I don't use it on my plugs. I use the silicone gasket stuff from the pool store. Thanks for posting those other alternatives. They sound good too, of course. But I had an oversupply of the pool stuff at the house and...

@Glassman , all comments toward furthering better understanding are good in my book. So please don't worry about 'starting something'.

I (mistakenly, as it turns out) thought that WD40 had silicone in it. It does not. However, it is listed as being safe for rubber parts. See http://wd40.com/faqs/#a98.

That said, I don't use it on my plugs. I use the silicone gasket stuff from the pool store. Thanks for posting those other alternatives. They sound good too, of course. But I had an oversupply of the pool stuff at the house and...

We must have the same book!
I wish more people were as open minded regarding trying new things. I know WD-40 has served many people very well over the years for different purposes. I'd be hard pressed to remember a time I didn't have a can handy. But as products and vehicles evolve so do the materials they are constructed of. So when a manufacturer, let's say Boeing, goes to the extent to formulate a product to preserve and protect the machines they manufacture, I'm going to give it due consideration.

Pools take a huge beating from the sun. If a pool manufacturer has developed a product to help thwart the effects of U.V. on their products, I'm all over it.

Like the old saying goes....I come from a time when if something breaks you fix it, not throw it away. (at least that's what my wife tells me!) :cool:

"Like the old saying goes....I come from a time when if something breaks you fix it, not throw it away. (at least that's what my wife tells me!) :cool:"

I agree @Glassman. If it wasn't for that old saying we probably wouldn't have this helpful forum to learn how to fix and improve our boats.

Back