• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Cutting Off

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
We have been fortunate to have gotten out 3 times so far this year, twice in mid-February and again this past Thursday. Each time when initially starting up to back of the trailer it starts for 10 seconds or so then cut off. it does start fine after anchoring up. Both batteries stock and second were installed in 2021 and are kept on a Nocco charger when not in use. Guessing one or both batteries are likely to need changing this year.

Plugs and oil changed at the beginning of last season.

About 55 hours last year and just hit 100 hours this week. I will do100-hour maintenance in the next week or two.

Any insights as to why it might be cutting off?

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mean the easiest things you could do is:

Check oil to make sure it’s proper level (most likely not the issue)
Check air filters
Change spark plugs

Those are the quick things. My boat is much older, but any time I had some issues when it wouldn’t stay running initially off the trailer it was my spark plugs. Assume you don’t have a warranty left?

DiggerPA

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
When I purchased my 2023 195s the dealer said the HO engines will do that when they are cold. Like you, I found that it will do that once when starting the first time then not do it the rest of the day. But, I did notice during the hot summer days it starts and keeps running first try. Just my 2 cents and what I have seen the past 2 summers.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this a supercharged engine? sometimes thay can add some complexity to the air fuel ratio when cold. Have you tried to bump up the engine idle with the no wake switch..........before the 10 second cut out.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We have been fortunate to have gotten out 3 times so far this year, twice in mid-February and again this past Thursday. Each time when initially starting up to back of the trailer it starts for 10 seconds or so then cut off. it does start fine after anchoring up. Both batteries stock and second were installed in 2021 and are kept on a Nocco charger when not in use. Guessing one or both batteries are likely to need changing this year.

Plugs and oil changed at the beginning of last season.

About 55 hours last year and just hit 100 hours this week. I will do100-hour maintenance in the next week or two.

Any insights as to why it might be cutting off?
When mine does this it just doesn’t stay running longer than three seconds and you can hear it coming that it is going to die. The colder it is the more times it takes for them to stay running. Once the engines stay running no issues the rest of the day. New plugs didn’t make any difference…. I think the main reason is the fuel management is so lean for the epa regulations there just isn’t enough fuel to keep the engines running until they get a little heat in the cylinders. If I run my boat on consecutive days it doesn’t seem to do this at all.

Also, the ECU is probably still delivering as much fuel as the last time it was running…. On my FI dirt bikes this is the case, so each time I take them out I start it up and let it idle for 10 mins without giving it any throttle and the ECU uses the MAP sensor and the IAT intake air temp sensor to figure out the density altitude and then deliver the correct amount of fuel, this is the way an open loop FI system works since it doesn’t have an 02 sensor to trim the fuel.

Looks your boat has the SC engine?

It‘ll be interesting to see if a spark plug change helps your situation. But, if it doesn’t and it only happens once when you first start it and the rest of the day is fine I wouldn’t worry about it.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Is this a supercharged engine? sometimes thay can add some complexity to the air fuel ratio when cold. Have you tried to bump up the engine idle with the no wake switch..........before the 10 second cut out.
Yes. No but can try that.