• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LECTRO TABS OR SIMILAR TRIM TABS

SUPERMAC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So im just curious whats the point. i see people talking about them and i know what they do and why they would be needed on some boats. but im just curious why put them on a jetboat. my boat planes in lik 4 seconds. that not fast enough for people? or is just for certain situations like rough water. again not sure how planing tabs help a jet boat in rough water tho.

anyway just wondering. thx

Attachments

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
From my understanding, they help with load balancing and also help to get the bow more in the water in rough conditions to make the ride smoother. Also will let you plane at slower speeds. I don't have them on by boat, just what I've read here on the forum. Lots of ppl here have them and chime in.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you boat in rough water or chop frequently, tabs are a game changer on our boats, they allow you to get the nose down and slice through the wave with the nose instead of pounding on the flat part of the hull. Since we can’t adjust the trim of our drive units like outdrive and outboard owners can, we have to add trim tabs. I added them to my 242 earlier this year, MUCH softer ride on the 1-2’ Lake Erie chop that we’re often in.

Chris1313

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you boat in rough water or chop frequently, tabs are a game changer on our boats, they allow you to get the nose down and slice through the wave with the nose instead of pounding on the flat part of the hull. Since we can’t adjust the trim of our drive units like outdrive and outboard owners can, we have to add trim tabs. I added them to my 242 earlier this year, MUCH softer ride on the 1-2’ Lake Erie chop that we’re often in.
Exactly what I was looking to hear about them performing in Lake Erie . I have a new 252 coming & wondering what kit you installed ?

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What about 2-3ft chop? Any improvement there? I must say I'm in the fence as well. Also, any benefit to holding heading at lower speeds, say trolling for instance. Where you can let go of the wheel and tend to your rod?

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Chris1313 I installed the lectrotab kit designed for these boats. I think I saw there is a group buy on the package right now. I’d snap it up. I’m sure it will fit the 252 hull just fine.

@Dixemon, Whatever the waves, the tabs will make the ride better. Wave period (frequency) has as much to do with it as height, Lake Erie has a notoriously short wave period so the waves hit so frequently a 1-2 foot chop is pretty rough. I’m not sure where you’re boating. I’d say a set of cobra fins would be more helpful for maintaining heading than tabs. My boat would wander all over until I installed Cobra fins.

Chris1313

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Chris1313 I installed the lectrotab kit designed for these boats. I think I saw there is a group buy on the package right now. I’d snap it up. I’m sure it will fit the 252 hull just fine.

@Dixemon, Whatever the waves, the tabs will make the ride better. Wave period (frequency) has as much to do with it as height, Lake Erie has a notoriously short wave period so the waves hit so frequently a 1-2 foot chop is pretty rough. I’m not sure where you’re boating. I’d say a set of cobra fins would be more helpful for maintaining heading than tabs. My boat would wander all over until I installed Cobra fins.
Thanks for the advise , I’ll be calling lectrotab this morning to confirm fitment . Did you add the fangs to the cobras too ?

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Chris1313 yes, went with the full kit. I’ve not driven a boat without the fangs, but at speed steering is still stiff even with them, so I have to imagine it’s even worse without them.

Chris1313

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I spoke to lectrotab toady & am gonna order . Curious if anyone who has them bought the “auto” version & if you did do you use it or do you find yourself using the manual setting

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There are a few folks in here that ordered the ALC, consensus was that our boats are too short for it to add any value. Especially given the increase in price. There are actually a few folks that indicated the automatic function might be alarming in our boats as it overcompensates without notice. I’m more than happy with the features on the MLC. It’s really a semi-automatic controller as it has auto-retract and will vary both tabs to correct pitch and roll.

Chris1313

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There are a few folks in here that ordered the ALC, consensus was that our boats are too short for it to add any value. Especially given the increase in price. There are actually a few folks that indicated the automatic function might be alarming in our boats as it overcompensates without notice. I’m more than happy with the features on the MLC. It’s really a semi-automatic controller as it has auto-retract and will vary both tabs to correct pitch and roll.
Really appreciate all the info & feedback last couple days ! New to this so trying to make a good decision the first time . Thanks again !

Rob2021

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Does adding trim tabs have any downside? Will they effect too speed or acceleration?

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Does adding trim tabs have any downside? Will they effect too speed or acceleration?
When not in use, zero effect on either. When in use, they are inducing drag by design to alter to attitude of the hull, so yes, they will affect top speed and acceleration.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put them on my boat this summer. Helps with wakes and chop but the biggest thing I noticed was the ability to cancel out the wind/wave effect on steering. You can run in a stiff cross-wind with the wheel centered if you simply lower the tab on the windward side a bit. It doesn't take much but makes a huge difference. No more fighting the wheel makes it worth the price and effort to me.