• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LED Drain Plug Lights

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have noticed that there are a few more options out there for drain plug LED lights. What are the latest opinions on them. Which ones fit the Yamaha drain plugs? Which ones are the brightest? Best for the money? I'm only interested in high density blue LED's. What are your experiences with the drain plug lights?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They are not very bright. @maboat had one and didn't feel it was very bright, but then again it wasn't $400+ dollars either.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
These guys are using 20 watt LEDs which are way more powerful than most options. They have 60 and 80 watt options as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-UNDERWATER-BOAT-DRAIN-PLUG-LIGHT-20-WATTS-MADE-USA-OVER-3000-SOLD-/251724975051?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a9bfa4bcb

My LED is mounted higher than the drain plug and needs to be angled up to be more effective. Being lower and not allowing for mounting at an angle are negatives of drain plug lights.

This is my boat with a single 40 watt LED in Bimini's clear water

This was on our local lake last year.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
What kind are yours and where did you get them? Im very interested in doing this but want to hold off and see how often I will be out at night.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What kind are yours and where did you get them? Im very interested in doing this but want to hold off and see how often I will be out at night.
The Aqualed AQ-8 on my boat is 40 watts. You can see that there is a huge difference in appearance from the clear Bimini water to my home lake. The manufacturers name has changed to Offshore Leds and the price is down to $130 for a 3500 lumen model (mine is rated at 4000 lumens). I paid approximately $250 for my AQ-8 and felt that it was good value for the cost in 2014. The new Offshore Leds A8 is an even better deal.

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok... I had the bug and went ahead and dropped the ball in this light. I decided to go ahead and get this new Diablo transom light.. They make a drain plug version, but it doesn't fit the yamaha drain plugs. It is a 4,000 lumin light. Their video that they show demoing this thing is actually an 1800 lum version according to the owner. It's really bright, so at 4000 it should be really bright. $234 total. They just started selling these in January. It comes with a driver (not shown in the picture) so it's hid!
image.jpg
When I get it installed and on the water... If spring ever comes, I'll post some photos.
Has anyone else purchased one of these?

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I finally got to get on the lake. I am very pleased with the results, in fact I'm super stoked! I went out the other night and gave it a try. Even the spray lit up! My pictures don't do this justice. They aren't nearly as bright as actual.
image.jpg

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice @RForester . What made the drain plug version not fit the Yamaha? THT has a few threads on these with good results.

Belleville_Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I finally got to get on the lake. I am very pleased with the results, in fact I'm super stoked! I went out the other night and gave it a try. Even the spray lit up! My pictures don't do this justice. They aren't nearly as bright as actual.
View attachment 19581
INCREDIBLE!! Looks like blue flames shooting out the back, I love it! You said that was shot on an inland lake, was it murky or clear?

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice @RForester . What made the drain plug version not fit the Yamaha? THT has a few threads on these with good results.
The guy said it would not work. I thought it might be a hassle to take off to drain, so I just drilled it.

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
INCREDIBLE!! Looks like blue flames shooting out the back, I love it! You said that was shot on an inland lake, was it murky or clear?
I would have to say murky. I think it does great. Trying to hold the phone and drive the boat didn't make for a very good video. Also my phone didn't capture much detail, it's actually more vibrant and bright. Spray that shot up into the air was even illuminated. You need one!

Albysure

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Looks very good....makes boating at night fun....on my first boat I went with a led drain plug....about $100 for one...on my new boat I wanted to do the same mod but do it right... I went with the twin pack under water mount led's from west marine for $100....there very bright and the radious is much bigger...the pic posted is in the day time and you can see how it light the garge blue...the switch was from ebay and is a marine grade $7...

Attachments

Yam240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The guy said it would not work. I thought it might be a hassle to take off to drain, so I just drilled it.
Did you go through the drain hole ? How's it mounted?

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
digging up an old topic. I was out on my first night ride and now I need some LEDs!! :)

I am just leary of the install!

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking to add a few interior LED strips, and some rear underwater lights. I do not boat much at night, but would like to add some more illumination. Looking for fairly easy install and reasonable price.... which I know are two tough requirements

paratrooper39

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@EmeryZ28 for interior I would suggested the speaker rings. I originally started down the path of doing strip lighting but it seemed like it was going to be a pain in the neck, so instead I got some RGB speaker rings and I couldn't be happier. When you need, you can flip them to white for good interior visibility or you can ride around with any other color at night for limited light (red easiest on the ole eyes).

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
got a link? you added them to the stock speaker(4)? thanks