• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LED light strips... does silicone adhesive work?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm installing LED strip lights on my boat, I need them to stick directly to the fiberglass. Of course the adhesive on the back of the strips doesn't hold.

I have some clear RTV silicone adhesive/sealant. Does this work to attach the lights? If so, how did you do it? Just put it on the adhesive back and press it on until it holds, then let it cure?

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am using silicon mounting clips that came with my strips, but mine are fairly concealed. There's a thread about sealants and adhesives on here that may be helpful.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went to Advance Auto last night and talked to them, they pointed me to 6300. I put up one strip so far, looks very promising.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Quick tips, if using 3M double side,
  • Clean surface area with acetone, make sure is nice and smooth
  • try to borrow your wife hair blower and heat the strip right before application.
I did this 2 years ago, over 100 hours and they have never come unglued.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I chose not to go with the 3M tape because it would've left tape sticking out of each edge of the strip. I could imagine what that would look like after a couple years of catching dirt.