• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

LED Pic....where to mount this joker?

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pic 1(Royale Diablo LED) is getting mounted on pic 2. Question is how high above the drain plug to mount it....above safety sticker?

Where did you LED guys mount the on/off switch?. I was think of a on/off stainless push button next to rear speaker....watcha think? Thanks for looking/opinions.

image_zpsig6lfkhf.jpg

de3c0229-5707-4632-b059-f7ddd61f27d9_zps1vr2yjby.jpg

Last edited:
I mounted mine where the sticker is. About 60 seconds with the wife's hair dryer and it peeled off in one piece. Goof off and a quick hole and I was ready. I guess you have 3m 5200?

Sorry, no help here yet, my lake time interfered with the project and I haven't circled back around to it. I bought a wireless 12v switch, but I wasn't able to get it to work so in haste I stuck a couple of alligator clips so I could clip to the battery! Ha! I need to re think it. I actually like the idea of something easy! Just to say, you are going to love the light, it is totally bad ass! I got blue.

THIS post was edited by me on 4-29-2015:

First of all, I wanted to THANK @TN888 for starting this thread and bringing this light to our attention.
Many of y'all will not "get" the importance of this light. My suggestion is to Google "CREE" LED lights. CREE is a North Carolina-based company who actually makes the LED light "chips" used in this, and other products & lights.
http://creebulb.com/

The light output from a CREE chip is totally unbelievable. I now have flash lights using these chips and they will cause serious retina damage if you look "into" the light beam when turned on. The light output is VERY VERY strong.

The light @TN888 references above can be found here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-LED-B...EDs-/251802002922?vxp=mtr&hash=item3aa091a5ea

OR:

http://www.boatpluglight.com/

These are not "Cheap" underwater lights. From all I have seen they may be the best underwater lights currently being sold. Period.
The company Yamaha uses to sell underwater lights does NOT employ CREE LED chips.
To better understand "light output" ........ simply .........
Comparing standard underwater LED lights to the Royale Diablo CREE LED lights is like comparing a Yugo 4-banger motor from the 1990's to a current Mercedes AMG V8. Really. There is that much difference.

Based on what I have seen today, I am buying a pair of these and adding them to what I already have, knowing these will blow away what we have now.
But it's too much trouble to remove what we have.

I am suggesting you consider using this QUALITY of Underwater light, due to how it is manufactured, but more importantly, due to the fact that it uses CREE L.E.D. chips.
These lights need to be mounted properly on the transom, and not in some drain hole.

Thanks again, Great thread. I hope this has helped others understand the importance of now knowing about these incredible Underwater lights !

By the way, we just purchased some standard light socket outdoor light bulbs (from eBAY) using CREE LED chips for lighting outdoors. Relatively high powered output and VERY low power usage. If you're interested, I paid like $2.39 per lamp, and each has 24 CREE LED chips inside. Can't wait to see how bright these are !

I suggest you avoid their Home Depot CREE lights for $10 + .... They can be found a LOT cheaper on eBAY.

Hoping this has helped others and many Best Wishes your way, Mikey Lulejian, out here in the sticks on Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:
Typically, an underwater led will come with instruction on how far below the water line to install. I would follow that recommendation. My OceanLEDs were recommended at 4-8" below the water, so that's where I put them.

Also check your local laws...in my area you can't have any of the light shining out of the water...must be completely submerged..illumination of the water is fine...you could potentially blind boaters following behind you ...
I have a seadoo challenger 180 and a different set of LED (west marine double pack $99) but mounted them equal to jet pump center...basically like sleepyjean said....there about 7 inches below the water line..image.jpgimage.jpg

Just so as not to confuse, it is not possible to mount the light anywhere on our boats that the light won't be "out of the water" when the boat is on plane. The hull is a planing hull and the entire face of the transom is out of the water when running on step. So legally, you can not use any of these lights while running, no matter how deep you install them...unless you mount them underneath the hull on the bottom.

Also, the Royal Diablo light pictured above is a "transom drain plug" light. It takes the place of the transom drain plug according to the manufacturer website. So you mount it in the transom drain plug. It kind of worries my having that much mass hanging out off my transom drain plug, if you hit it and break it off, you have no way to plug the hole in your boat. And for the cost, why not get a dedicated underwater light that mounts flush? Just my thoughts...

Back