• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

less than 7300 rpms - 2015 AR240

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took the boat out yesterday to practice. It has 7.8 hours on it. Max rpm's were 7300 port side and less than 7300 starboard. Top speed was 48 mph.

I was alone with less than 1/2 tank of gas.

Any have any idea why it would be underperforming at this point?

Thanks

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
High Point, NC. According to Google, 837 feet.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Although your break in period is over it doesn't mean that its full broke in if that makes any sense. I would give it a little time. That and your not at sea level even though 900 ft elevation isn't much it will play into it a little.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok then it is not likely an elevation thing. What is max rpm supposed to be on your engines? A good first thing to check is the throttle cable adjustment in the engine compartment.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This sounds about right, actually... 2013 AR240 here (CARB boat). On a cool, dry, day (dew point < 50, humidity < 50%) I top out around 7300RPM (one engine is a little less, probably due to impeller pitch differences(?). 836ft above sea level. Top speed around 48-49mph. Humidity seems to be a factor as well... more humidity, less speed/RPM for me.

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everything I read says 7500 rpm's and 51-52 mph.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everything I read says 7500 rpm's and 51-52 mph.
Does your AR240 have a round sticker on the side with the state of California in the middle of it like mine? i.e. is it a CARB boat with catalytic converters? That may be why we can't get up to 7500. That's the only thing I've been using to potentially explain the issue with mine. Others have said they can get up to 7500RPM/52-53mph no issues and in all of those cases, they were not CARB boats and did not have catalytic converters.

Initially wasn't too happy that I got a CARB boat... I purchased it in Minnesota for use in Iowa. After owning the boat for a couple of years, I've come to terms with it, and the difference between 49mph and 52mph doesn't bother me too much/as much.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does your AR240 have a round sticker on the side with the state of California in the middle of it like mine? i.e. is it a CARB boat with catalytic converters? That may be why we can't get up to 7500. That's the only thing I've been using to potentially explain the issue with mine. Others have said they can get up to 7500RPM/52-53mph no issues and in all of those cases, they were not CARB boats and did not have catalytic converters.

Initially wasn't too happy that I got a CARB boat... I purchased it in Minnesota for use in Iowa. After owning the boat for a couple of years, I've come to terms with it, and the difference between 49mph and 52mph doesn't bother me too much/as much.
My 2013 Limited was a CARB approved boat. We boat at sea level and I could never get RPM's above 7050. Topped out at 46-47 MPH. WickedPorter, you have better anger management skills than I do....I'm still pissed they sold me that boat in Florida with no disclosure. LOL.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Was/Am on the same boat with my CARB boat...

Purchased in MD, no disclosure.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can get my boat to hold just a bit over 7600 RPM which is good for 51-54 MPH depending on if going upstream or down. 54 is the fastest it has seen. Elevation where that happens is about 350-375 feet above sea level.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a tag somewhere showing that it's CARB?

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PolarXJ Is your boat a "4-star super ultra low emission?" Mine is.

Last edited:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I get around 7300 to 7500 RPM and get 48 to 52MPH. keep in mind everything impacts this including the gauges themselves.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@PolarXJ Is your boat a "4-star super ultra low emission?" Mine is.
There is your answer. Also has a very faint outline for the state of CA in the background. On the port side in the engine compartment you will find a plate that should list your power output at 121Kw per engine. That equates to roughly 162HP per engine or almost 40 HP less than the non CARB boats. I cannot believe Yamaha has not been hit with a class action lawsuit with this. They are very careful not to advertise HP, but my Title clearly stated 180 Hp/engine or 360 total...I forget which. The whole thing doesn't make sense, why does Yamaha produce more boats with all this additional expensive, emission equipment when it's required only by the People's Republic of California?

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A little frustrated here about the loss of horsepower. Especially with no upside! I have seen some mention increased fuel efficiency, which if true would make it easier to swallow, but I have found no confirmation that the CARB boat is more fuel efficient.

Yamaha (it is on their website under news) put out a release in November, 2012 advertising the shipping of the first 4 star engines. They highlight that these boats will be available to their California dealers "at no additional costs" To quote Bill Murray, " SO I got that going for me!"

I have done a bit of research since @WickedPorter mentioned the CARB issue. My engine placard says 122Kw per engine.

Last edited:

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will totally be bummed out if mine is CARB. Will report back tonight.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A little frustrated here about the loss of horsepower. Especially with no upside! I have seen some mention increased fuel efficiency, which if true would make it easier to swallow, but I have found no confirmation that the CARB boat is more fuel efficient.
With regard to the increased fuel efficiency.....TOTAL NONSENSE. My 2013 owners manual did state the California approved models burned less fuel at WOT....but guess why?....because maximum RPM is 500 less than non CARB boats!! It's not more fuel efficient throughout the RPM range...it's just slower. I don't even own the thing anymore and it still makes my blood boil. Just for giggles, I called Yamaha about this issue. At first they played dumb. Then they admitted the boat may have less power after emailing a pic of the engine compartment placard. They then went on to say this is really an issue for me and my dealer to discuss because they couldn't help me???? Nice.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok. I'm non CARB. 132kw output.

Definitely something to check for anyone buying these boats.

image.jpg

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those of you interested in a 2015 model and wanting to avoid a California model, ask to see the exact model number for the boat you are considering. Any model number that contains an "L" in it is a California approved boat.