• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lesson learned about trailer insurance

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been dealing with my insurance sorting everything out from our accident over the weekend...
https://jetboaters.net/threads/move-to-san-antonio-is-not-going-so-well.6284/

Got the call today that the Tahoe is totaled, no surprise there, yesterday I talked to the adjuster and asked about my trailer, because the insurance picked up the Tahoe from the Tow company yard and took it to a field inspection facility. He told me they weren't going to do anything with the trailer and advised me to call the company and work it out with them or go pick it up myself(this guy really pissed me off a few times)
I mentioned something about it being covered by my insurance and he informed me I did not have coverage for it, he told me if a tree had fallen on it or something it would have been covered but since it was involved in a collision they won't cover it or anything that was inside it.

About a year ago the storage lot I had it parked in told me they wanted proof of insurance, it was difficult to get the insurance company to add it to my policy because they said they don't normally do separate coverage for a utility trailer. They told me I didn't need collision or anything on it since it would be covered by the vehicle it was connected to in any accident. So now they are telling me that it is not covered, I argued a lot with them and they had "4 people review my policy".

So my trailer is just a loss, not that it was an expensive One, but still it sucks that I won't recover anything for it or anything that was inside it. Luckily the stuff that was inside that got damaged wasn't too important.

I called the tow company, I am sending them the title to it and they won't charge me for the tow or storage fees or anything:-/

If you have utility trailers I would suggest looking over your coverage to make sure it is covered in case of a collision!

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too have been told that my utility trailer is covered by the towed vehicle policy. I have a set price reimbursement for my boat and ski trailer. Any lawyers on here. What say you?

Kevin1741

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I followed your other post and it looks like you hit your own trailer so technically shouldn't the policy on your pick up truck cover the trailer that your wife was pulling? I would assume there's going to be some surcharges going either way.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had always been told that if a trailer was hooked to your vehicle, that your vehicle's insurance would cover it. Sounds like that is not the case.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think one of the biggest take aways from this is to always get things in writing. Someone simply telling you your trailer is covered by your truck policy won't work when encountering what you are going through. If you have coverage for it in writing then you would have something to fight them with. Something I learned very very fast in the military is get all guarantees, promises, and coverages in writing.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have a local agent for your insurance, pay them an in person visit to show you where in your policy a towed trailer is not covered. If you are dealing with a claim rep on the phone, realize that they tend to protect their company more than you.

As said above, the truck that hit your trailer should pay that damage claim.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what I'm doing next, if I was to hit someone and damaged their trailer I'm sure my truck insurance would cover the damages. Just because I hit my own trailer being towed by my wife shouldn't change that coverage.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trailers covered by tow vehicles insurance are for liabilty only, not theft, collision, fire or damage of any type at least is massachusetts. People always say they're covered but not really. Basically you're covered if the trailer somehow injures someone but the trailer itself isn't covered. I found this out when insuring my snowmobile trailer and the agent explained it. I always have separate coverages for trailers now.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Wayloncle you said "About a year ago the storage lot I had it parked in told me they wanted proof of insurance, it was difficult to get the insurance company to add it to my policy..." Does the storage still have a copy of that proof? If it satisfied the storage company it must have come from your insurance company.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Wayloncle you said "About a year ago the storage lot I had it parked in told me they wanted proof of insurance, it was difficult to get the insurance company to add it to my policy..." Does the storage still have a copy of that proof? If it satisfied the storage company it must have come from your insurance company.
Yeah, I have it but it is only for liability, so if the Decpticons took over my trailer and wrecked havoc in the storage facility it would cover everyone else's stuff:-/
Because you know how often a trailer sitting in a lot all by itself can do all kinds of damage.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trailers covered by tow vehicles insurance are for liabilty only, not theft, collision, fire or damage of any type at least is massachusetts. People always say they're covered but not really. Basically you're covered if the trailer somehow injures someone but the trailer itself isn't covered. I found this out when insuring my snowmobile trailer and the agent explained it. I always have separate coverages for trailers now.
I wish this would have been explained to me a long time ago. I originally bought the trailer when I was racing motocross, I have hauled my bike and other people's bikes in that trailer all over the place, now knowing that if I would have wrecked and damaged all that inside would have just been a loss is scary!

I have also let other people pull it to other states just using it to move or whatever.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually, the specifics of what exactly is covered for what and what is excluded varies state by state and policy by policy. I know it is boring a sin (for other than us lawyers), but you actually have to read the policy to know exactly. Even when the agent shows you that X is covered under the policy (see? right here on page 5...), that doesn't mean that there isn't some exception or exclusion somewhere else that means it will not apply to your specific situation.

This is where the trust factor with a good agent can come in. They can point you to the right product for your particular need and should be able to highlight for you the important bits of the policy.

But then you still have to read the $#% thing in the end.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Wayloncle I feel your pain. I was involved in an accident 4 years ago which totaled my truck, enclosed utility trailer and a vertebrae in my lower back too :( I was 0% at fault and learned way too much about how insurance works. I always knew that my auto coverage would only cover my trailer for liability. However, I assumed that I would just take the loss if the accident was my fault and I would be made whole by the other guys insurance if he was at fault. Not entirely true when the total of all claims exceed the other guys insurance limits. All the claims against his insurance get pro rated up to his limit. So I was actually going up against my own car insurance (who had paid my claim for our totaled truck) trying to get "made whole". In my case I received about 50 cents on the dollar. It really made me think twice about how we insure our vehicles and passengers.

Don't even get me started about the medical claims. BTW, your health insurance isn't responsible for injuries suffered during an auto accident either. So make sure your medical coverage limits on your auto insurance is sufficient too. In my case, my health insurance did pay the claims, but wouldn't pay a single claim until I signed papers stating that I would repay them if any settlement was made. So in essence, I could've been sued by my own health insurance company if things weren't handled correctly.

In my case it became very clear to me that I needed representation in order to protect me from all the insurance companies involved here. I was the guy who got hit from behind, run off the road and almost suffered a career ending injury. I wasn't about to see a lifetime of hard work go to any insurance company because I did or didn't sign papers correctly.

Anyway, I truly am glad that you guys came through this physically ok. It sucks taking a financial loss in any instance. But property is replaceable.

By the way, I do now have trailer coverage for both my boat trailer (not included on some boat policies) and my new utility trailer (only costs about $20/year) but doesn't include contents ;)

Last edited:

lddv1224

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to work in the Property and Casualty Insurance field. Yes the trailer is covered for liability only on your current auto policy when being towed. However contents should be covered under Homeowners Insurance Policy. (that is how mine is written through USAA)

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow I had no idea.

I own my own pro sound equipment and lighting for my band, and have been hauling it in a trailer for decades. I probably had over $20k worth of gear in there.

We only play occasionally now, so we just use hired sound. But the risk I took?? Ay caramba!!