• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Let down by a Yamaha Owner

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
On our usual lake, we too have a huge influx of newbies. The lake is decent sized w/ many areas along the perimeter to drop anchor to chill and float around the boat, but this year there seems to be a plethora of dipshits not utilizing the perimeter to drop anchor.

This year it seems as if every one just drops anchor wherever they feel like it, no matter that they are smack dab in the middle of the normal flow of traffic. So now we have tons of obstacles everywhere. It makes it hard to board or tube when all of these jackasses are anchored down everywhere all over the place instead of pulling off to the perimeter before dropping anchor.

What makes matters worse is when they throw you dirty looks and throw their hands in the air for creating a wake "near" them. 99% of the time the perimeter is wide open to pull off and drop anchor and still have plenty of room/privacy between boats. I have always pulled off to the edges and out of the way when my family wants to stop for lunch or just float around.

I had to laugh last week. There was a guy (one of many) in the way and anchored down and was grilling their lunch ON the swim deck. I was pulling my son on the wake board and another dipshit (they must multiply in the water) was going the opposite direction of travel and coming at us leaving me nowhere to go to give room to the other dipshit grilling ON the swim deck (anchored down in the middle of the cruising path). I didn't want to stop and dunk my son in fear of having him get run over by the dipshit going the wrong way, so I held my course and honked at them to get their attention. They finally changed course (barely) enough to not collide with us, but then he threaded the needle between us and the other dipshit grilling lunch. Their wake then caused the other boat to toss about, enough to have their "Captain" lose his balance and fall off of the swim deck and took his grill (and lunch) into the lake with him.

We kept an eye on him and made sure he surfaced and was ok. This also caused my son to drop the rope and he got dunked anyway. I turned around to retrieve my son and then we pulled up near the soaked and hungry boat full of people to check on them. Their "Captain" thought it would be appropriate to lash out at me..... Let's just say he picked the wrong guy to lash out at. I "educated" him that had he pulled off to the perimeter to anchor down for lunch, this would have prevented this from happening. I also reminded him that it was not my boat going in the wrong direction nor my boat that caused the wake to toss him overboard. I felt bad (sort of) because he had his wife and kids with him, but I refuse to be yelled at for something that was not my doing. Hell, I am the guy who came and checked on them and was offering help if needed.....

IDGAF if my wake bothers them anymore. If they are going to drop anchor right in the main path of travel, they are going to catch the wake. Don't like the rough waters, move to the perimeter or stay off the water......
LOL - yeah, last time surfing on the Chain O Lakes in Waupaca, WI we saw a great one. This chain is beautiful, clear, blue water. However there's only four, fairly small lakes, in which wake speeds are allowed. I choose "round lake," which contains most of the through lake-to-lake traffic on it's southern shore for just a few hundred yards, on which to go surfing.

So we're out surfing and suddenly this old guy in his pontoon puts out to about 1/3 away from shoreline, IE, right in the middle of everyone's way. THEN he proceeds to clean his pontoon with a rag dipped in lake water. Why this couldn't happen on shore or anywhere else is beyond me. So now I'm watching him open the side door to his pontoon, kneel down to get his rag wet, and wash his boat off while realizing that he seems to have purposely left his little 25hp outboard in gear.

So here's this idiot by himself, with no life jacket on, old AF, bending over into the lake and then bending over the outside of boat, all in order to wipe it down, on a lake being used by me and a few other boats to wake surf.

At that point I stopped, got in the boat, and just watched on assumption that this moron was going to go in and I was going to have to attempt a rescue. Thankfully he didn't and after a few minutes he motored back to his house.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I about lost my sh!t over the weekend while boating on the Mississippi. We were pulling the kids on the tube and one of them jumped off the tube, no big deal. Swung back around to pick them up and some clown (not a Yamaha) pullin a tube gets about 20' from our tube & kid in the water and does circles around us until one of his kids falls off. WTAF!!! I got my kid on our tube & got as far away from that boat as possible. One thing we all have to remember with kids in the boat is they are watching us ALL the time and how we react to things. We need to make sure that we set good examples for them and when a situation like above happens to explain to them why we don't do certain stuff and how to deal with it.

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since we live on the lake, we can avoid the weekends which we usually do. People are pretty good on our lake, mostly jet skis and a lot of pontoon boats. Weekends are pretty busy.
How big are the lakes you guys are talking about?

I don't have a boat yet - hoping to get my first sometime this winter or next - but I'm starting to be a little concerned about stuff like this.

I would be boating in Lake Washington which seems relatively HUGE to me (about 34 square miles in a long, skinny layout). As in, you should always be able to find a semi-secluded place even on the busiest weekend. But maybe not? Anyone else out there on a similar sized body of water?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in Michigan so most of the inland lakes in the southern part are 1-2 miles across. Then you have Lake St. Clair which fairly sizeable. But it does not matter there is always at least one ass clown that has 20 miles of open water that needs to zip by you within 50 ft. Happens more than you would think it would. Now you have the Great Lakes and it is easier to get away from stupid, until you come within 1/2 mile to shore or are in the channels. Then stupid always has a way of showing up.

It is kind of like driving. You should always be defensive, same as in boating. Be smart, watch for stupid, and always be prepared and you will have a great safe time.

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in Michigan so most of the inland lakes in the southern part are 1-2 miles across. Then you have Lake St. Clair which fairly sizeable. But it does not matter there is always at least one ass clown that has 20 miles of open water that needs to zip by you within 50 ft. Happens more than you would think it would. Now you have the Great Lakes and it is easier to get away from stupid, until you come within 1/2 mile to shore or are in the channels. Then stupid always has a way of showing up.

It is kind of like driving. You should always be defensive, same as in boating. Be smart, watch for stupid, and always be prepared and you will have a great safe time.
Heh, well, my previous hobby (for the past 20 years) was riding motorcycles, so watching out for extremely careless drivers is second-nature. I'm disappointed to realize that I won't be fully getting away from that on the lake, though...

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I skimmed through the first 2 pages of this thread, but get the gist none the less. There's always going to be intentional and unintentional ignorance. I share the example I experienced about a month ago on Lake Wylie in the Belmont, NC area. 2 adult males on Yamaha wave runners riding full speed through all of the no wake zones where I 85, and the railroad over passes are, as well as the National White Water center, I catch up to them in my SeaDoo and politely let them know that they need to slow in those areas as they are no wake zones, and clearly marked by buoys. They said oh sorry didn't know we usually boat on Lake Norman. I thought well, if you don't understand the buoy system, and not realize that "No Wake zones" are a world wide thing, then eventually you'll get ticketed.
Lake Wylie eventually becomes the Catawba River, becomes Mountain Island Lake, becomes Lake Norman, all separated by dams.

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Take a video next time, then call the DNR, they will find him and ticket him because you have evidence. Or they will wait and watch him then ticket him.
Video is the last thing anyone would think of we their kids in the water

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am simmered down now over it. I plan on putting my air horn easily accessible and somewhere in the basement I have a megaphone which I will grab. I will also be deploying either the Super Mable HD (Man that thing is a pain to lug around and blow up but the kids must have it.) Or will grab another smaller tube, in a high visibility color and deploy that as well. Will fly my Orange flag, although not required here in MI, hopefully the clowns on the water will know what it means.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I get that there are bunch of fools on the water, as long as I can return with as many people that I took in a safe manner than I will be able to manage.
A lot of assholes on the inland lakes.

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lots of new boaters here that are completely ignorant when it comes to who has the right of way and who should hold steady.

Thankfully the parking lots fill up pretty early at the ramps which limits how busy the lake can get.
View attachment 123515
Never have a problem on the Great Lakes here in Michigan.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does the stupid thin out a bit? Here in Lake St. Clair it does not.
Yeah, definitely some goofballs of all shapes and sizes out today on the lake. After lunch, came down the St Clair River from algonac, and while I didn't catch it on my camera/phone, there were a couple morons darting in front of this ore-loaded baby pretty close! Was thinking, man if their engine fails while they're in front... 😮
Screenshot_20200912-200122_Gallery.jpg

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I skimmed through the first 2 pages of this thread, but get the gist none the less. There's always going to be intentional and unintentional ignorance. I share the example I experienced about a month ago on Lake Wylie in the Belmont, NC area. 2 adult males on Yamaha wave runners riding full speed through all of the no wake zones where I 85, and the railroad over passes are, as well as the National White Water center, I catch up to them in my SeaDoo and politely let them know that they need to slow in those areas as they are no wake zones, and clearly marked by buoys. They said oh sorry didn't know we usually boat on Lake Norman. I thought well, if you don't understand the buoy system, and not realize that "No Wake zones" are a world wide thing, then eventually you'll get ticketed.
Lake Wylie eventually becomes the Catawba River, becomes Mountain Island Lake, becomes Lake Norman, all separated by dams.
But the DNR and Gaston County Sheriff certainly manage to stop me every time in the north end of Lake Wylie and tell me to go slower in the no wake zones when i am not making any wake but giving just enough to be able to steer. I think its the noise of the motor they notice.

Jay7061

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What about a law suit involving Yamaha engine failures? I have a 2022 210 FSH with engine failure ( rings ) and I'm told the dealer can't get the part from Yamaha. A lifetime warrantee when the boat parts aren't even available to the dealer for warrantee work. And no answer for dealership and costumer.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about a law suit involving Yamaha engine failures? I have a 2022 210 FSH with engine failure ( rings ) and I'm told the dealer can't get the part from Yamaha. A lifetime warrantee when the boat parts aren't even available to the dealer for warrantee work. And no answer for dealership and costumer.
What does this have to do with this old thread?

Troll much?

Last edited:

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What does this have to do with this old thread?

Troll much?
Somebody saw a thread title and didn't bother reading what it was about.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Somebody saw a thread title and didn't bother reading what it was about.
Drops a bomb like that and runs. Lol

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jay7061 is a very confusing post,

I want to not believe it, no other posts, when have we heard of ring failures ???

but why do you join April 4th and wait until Sep 12 to post this ??

Did you purchase the lifetime warranty on a separate policy ??
What dealer did you buy from ?
what symptoms lead you to believe their was a problem ?
what dealer is telling you it was a ring issue ?
did they give you pictures or did you see the engine torn down ??

Love my Yamaha and Yamaha does have drawbacks but engine issues and lawsuit ??? maybe if you had an oil cooler bolt leak,

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sounds like someone ran their engine without enough oil, or ran it with no cooling it overheating and ripped up the rings.......

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is it the guy whose driveshaft snapped, had it repaired without adhering to Yammie's request to investigate thoroughly for warranty reasons, only to blow up his engine later?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it the guy whose driveshaft snapped, had it repaired without adhering to Yammie's request to investigate thoroughly for warranty reasons, only to blow up his engine later?
I don't think so, I thought that guy with the driveshaft snapping was on a 275.