• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Light up that Engine bay

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those who haven't read my post on trips to Bangkok well last time i was there getting some Japanese bearings for my jetpump incase i wanted to change them, So i also picked up a few LED lights for an idea i had, You know when you clean your engine bay or do oil changes or plugs etc, Well unless you have a elasticated head torch or other means of lighting which always seems to need adjusting as it's not focused in the right place or you need someone to hold it, You know what i mean well for a few dollars i sorted it with great sucess, I collected my jetpump bearings and had a look around as i had this idea in the back of my mind for ages and thought i would give it a go, I got a couple of LED strip lights 12 v of course and set about looking for the best position for them, After playing around for a few minutes i decided to attach one under the lip at the rear of the engine compartment and the other on the opposite side at the front, i already have a seperate trip fuse box with spare connections so a cheap switch and some cable did the job a few cable ties and a small drill is all that's needed, Take a look at the difference and tell me what you think.

20190630_105439.jpg

I drilled 3 holes on the lip at the back of the engine compartment a measured distance apart depending on the length of your LED just so a folded cable tie would go through, make a loop in the cable tie and push the LED strip light through, feed the open end of the cable tie back through the hole you drilled don't pull it to tight so after all three cable ties are in place you can adjust the angle of the LED.

As far as the front of the engine compartment no drilling was needed again i used cable ties and found that i could easily tuck the LED under the lip and cable tie it to the hoses that are there, Again you don't need to pull it tight and adjust the angle that give you the best results, Run the cables out of the back port side of the engine compartment and through into the battery compartment there is a small opening in the corner so no drilling is needed attach it to a fuse box and connect to a switch, If you haven't got a live there already pick a live and earth up from the battery and run it to the new fuse box and the switch, Job done check out the difference.

20190630_104634.jpg

20190630_153920.jpg

20190627_194215.jpg

20190630_154007.jpg

20190630_154018.jpg

515.jpg

519.jpg

Don't worry about the brushes i always know where they are LOL, Job done and about 1 hours work and maybe $15 no more messing around in the dark,
Let me know what you think.

Attachments

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love it so much I did something similar a couple of years ago. Put one in the battery compartment and one in the engine compartment: found some LED fog lights (designed for the front of a Jeep or similar) very cheap on Amazon. Unscrewed one of the nuts on a bolt (I think to the hinge, if memory serves) and attached it there to light the whole space. Very worth it. I didn't put in a nice switch like it looks you did--I just put it to the fuse box and leave the fuse out until I want light.

Nicely done!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love it so much I did something similar a couple of years ago. Put one in the battery compartment and one in the engine compartment: found some LED fog lights (designed for the front of a Jeep or similar) very cheap on Amazon. Unscrewed one of the nuts on a bolt (I think to the hinge, if memory serves) and attached it there to light the whole space. Very worth it. I didn't put in a nice switch like it looks you did--I just put it to the fuse box and leave the fuse out until I want light.

Nicely done!
I'm sure yours worked fine, Certainly need some light in the engine bay as it makes life so much easier even just for cleaning purposes, Thanks for the comment.