• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Limited 232 impeller cleanout plugs

Free N Easy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Needs some Help. I have a 2008 Limited 232. I am the second owner and the previous owner silicon both of the impeller cleanout plugs in place. Im assuming cause of the plug locking mech failing. My dilemma is replacing them and the work involved to remove them. It makes me nervous to try and take them out and not being a Pandora s box. Any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, that is terrible!!

The locking mechanism very rarely fails, perhaps not at all. The lower portion of the plug swells making them hard to install and remove. That can be replaced for $40. Complete plug replacement is $250 or more.

What kind of silicon was used? Is if the soft stuff that comes off easily or some sort of adhesive?

Any pictures?

Benoit

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would unlock them and push them out with a board from underneath boat. If you can’t push hard enough maybe a floor jack and board. I would use a 2x4. Have someone watching the top. Then scrape all silicone off plug and seat. Rebuild plugs and buy the locks. No worries then

Free N Easy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
From looking into the canister I can see what it looks like silicone around the plug. 1 latch port side is not locking at all. Starboard side locks and release when pushing the button. I have filled the Can with PB blaster thinking it would eat the silicone but failed. I have also pulled on the plug as hard as I could and it will not budge.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This sounds like a winter project. Depending on damage and effort, and need to rebuild plugs, you could lose a weekend. That would be a shame.

Once you are committed, you can push from below with a jack, others have wrapped nylon strapping to the T handle and pulled with a 2x4 lever to multiply their force. I recall a thread where the boat was held in the air a bit solely by the stuck plug before it came out.

With enough force and leverage they will surely come out, and they are useful, so I'm all for fixing it...but If you kill a boating weekend to fix it...that's not winning in my mind!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have used ratchet straps from the handles to a deck joist that was overhead to pull the plugs slowly. It has worked well for me. Slowly adding tension.

Free N Easy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thx for all the info. I’m thinking it will be a fall project before the season ends.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
take a picture and attach it for us,

If it's just silicone you can scrap/dremel/cut most of it.
If it's 5200 adhesive you may have real issues, maybe a dremel could break enough of it to free it,

A picture from underneath through intake grate would also be helpful to see if they gooed up the sides of the plugs and slid them in