• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Loading distance

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When power loading, how close do you load to roller before cranking it the rest of the way?
We usually power to about 18" , then pull up rest of the way with crank.
Seems like some stress on the strap.

Sinking trailer deeper doesnt seem to center and hold on bunks , so think trailer is in sufficient depth.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Usually about the same, foot and a half or so. Winch is fine, before I powerloaded and just walked it on, would be even further away.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Make sure to “ Dunk” the trailer fully or at least till all the bunks are submerged , this will help with that last 18” of cranking since the Carpet will be wet.

When I say Dunk I mean dip it in then pull it back out to ur preference.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Trailer fenders just under water, then power it up, I go to the bow lean over and hook it and crank it in the last foot. Climb onto trailer then in to back of truck, Pull it all up till I can pull the plug out on the ramp with out standing in water. It always drains a quart or so I have no clue how it gets in there. Then pull up and a little brakecheck, snug winch and hook chain. put back straps on and go home.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you spray silicone spray on the bunks they turn into magically slippery bunks for a while. The winch will require much less power to crank the boat. but Watch out! It's slippery when unloading too, so don't unhook it except when you are ready for it to jump out of the trailer.

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Trailer fenders just under water, then power it up, I go to the bow lean over and hook it and crank it in the last foot. Climb onto trailer then in to back of truck, Pull it all up till I can pull the plug out on the ramp with out standing in water. It always drains a quart or so I have no clue how it gets in there. Then pull up and a little brakecheck, snug winch and hook chain. put back straps on and go home.
Drain plug used to drain very little first 2 seasons. This season looks around a gallon. No clue why the increase. A bit concerned, but since i dont leave on lake overnight, i havent looked into it.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Check those exhaust through hull bolts.

@dietz

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When power loading, how close do you load to roller before cranking it the rest of the way?
We usually power to about 18" , then pull up rest of the way with crank.
Seems like some stress on the strap.
I power all the way up to the bow stop and would do so with or without a ramp n clamp or boat buddy ii .

IMHO one of the benefits of power loading is not having to winch at all or very little. There is always some stress on the strap when winching a boat that weighs several thousand pounds unless the boat is actually floating over its trailer's bunks. If you are concerned about hull damage consider buying bow scuff plate.

Last edited:

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I never power load any boat. It put undue stress on your car transmission gear which is park at that point as the boat pushes the trailer and car forward. Besides, you unnecessarily risk banging your boat against the roller.
I pull up slowly, let the boat center itself and when it stops, I jump out and winch it up. Safest way to load. My 2cents.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Some ramps are just too shallow to allow a full winch on. When I say shallow I mean the angle of the ramp into the water, the ramp I use most often the back tire of my pickup is in the water when the trailer is where I like it, and if I just floated on the boat wouldn’t be over halfway on. If the ramp was just a bit steeper I could winch on.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I winch on shallow angle ramps. Actually I don’t think I set the trailer any deeper back when I used to power load compared to only winching now. Boat still requires the same depth to get on the bunks. I could set the trailer deeper to take a little strain off the winch but it’s not like you’re having to winch a dry boat. Either way still requires a good stab of the brakes when you pull out to set the boat on the bunks so it won’t shift a few miles later going down the road.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I winch on shallow angle ramps. Actually I don’t think I set the trailer any deeper back when I used to power load compared to only winching now. Boat still requires the same depth to get on the bunks. I could set the trailer deeper to take a little strain off the winch but it’s not like you’re having to winch a dry boat. Either way still requires a good stab of the brakes when you pull out to set the boat on the bunks so it won’t shift a few miles later going down the road.
I’ve never done the stab at the breaks, I will give it a try next time right after we pull the boat out of the water to see how much it moves. But to my defense it’s a 5 mile trip from my house to the ramp and I drive like 35-40 mph the whole way.