• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Location of on board battery charger?

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I purchased a 3 port charger (Minn Kota) and after looking at the size of the unit and looking in my battery compartment, I don't see many options.

Where have you guys placed your chargers?

Here is the battery compartment
20200717_092506.jpg

The back wall seems to be the best bet, but it's tight

20200717_092513.jpg

The above pic looks messy because I have my battery tender hooked up. I'm switching to the minn kota charger as soon as I figure out where to mount it.

Last edited:

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I might have a location, it's going to take a little work to get it done. What do you guys think of installing the charger against the ballast wall?

I made a template of the charger out of cardboard, here is where I am thinking:

20200717_105444.jpg

The location is on the other side of the black polk amp.

I'll have to take at least the larger battery out and possibly take the seat cushion off. Not sure yet.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
waaaayyy more room in the engine compartment. I know there are some folks against it but others have ran it that way for years without issue.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I installed mine against the ballast wall as you are proposing. I also put the shore power plug next to the sub under the port side captain's chair. It made all the wire runs nice and short.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I screwed mine to a piece of cutting board (5 bucks at dollar store). I then used heavy duty velcro on the bottom of the cutting board and attached directly to the carpet in battery compartment. No screws, no money, removes in seconds and has never moved in 2 years...brilliant I know..lol

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Brain, that's the exact charger I purchased. I like the idea of keeping the batteries and charger together but I'll install in the engine compartment if I run out of room. I'll take a quick peek at my engine compartment and see if the included cables provide enough length. Seems like I would need to extend the cables to the batteries.

@Gunner, that is a really good idea, what kind of cutting board? The velcro was enough to hold a HEAVY charger to the carpeted wall? Maybe your charger is lighter? This minn kota is fairly heavy and I wouldn't want it crashing down when going through chop.

I'm going to try to install mine on the ballast divider wall with 4 screws. I'll post pics when the install is done, which might be a few days since we are experiencing some HOT weather for my area, crawling into the battery compartment doesn't seem like a lot of fun right now, we'll see.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Two things mines a single bank and is fairly heavy but not as heavy as yours, second I went right to the carpeted floor where extra weight likely won't matter, the wall would probably not work. The cutting board is like a 1/4" thick starboard type material.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great minds think a like with the cutting board..Genius 2 bank charger is to the right around the corner from the switch. My OCD kicks in when I see bare POS + terminals...:eek:cover those puppies..
FC3803F6-0EE3-4BFC-B4F9-4C9050116B07.jpeg321090F2-C08F-4F93-8187-D4DE1FFE8D51.jpeg

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I got the charger installed, just fit against the ballast wall in the battery compartment. I have to work on tidying up the cables.
20200728_203749.jpg

Thanks for all the advice.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I purchased a 3 port charger (Minn Kota) and after looking at the size of the unit and looking in my battery compartment, I don't see many options.

Where have you guys placed your chargers?

Here is the battery compartment
View attachment 126227

The back wall seems to be the best bet, but it's tight

View attachment 126228

The above pic looks messy because I have my battery tender hooked up. I'm switching to the minn kota charger as soon as I figure out where to mount it.
No brainer. Engine compartment. Note the 120 can go out the back for shore power with no holes drilled.C1F5FCEC-4E50-4BFB-BC42-D95F0F40BA7E.jpeg

DaBanker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Reviving an old thread. I like the idea of mounting my battery charger in the engine compartment but I dont think the charging cables will be long enough. Does anyone else have mounting suggestions for a 2012 212ss?

Im in the process of installing two new batteries and was planning on moving them a bit more forward in the rear port locker.

Thanks!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Reviving an old thread. I like the idea of mounting my battery charger in the engine compartment but I dont think the charging cables will be long enough. Does anyone else have mounting suggestions for a 2012 212ss?

Im in the process of installing two new batteries and was planning on moving them a bit more forward in the rear port locker.

Thanks!
In my boat they are on the port side beneath the rear seat. Therefore, in the pic above the charging leads hook right up. Where is the battery(s) in your 212?

DaBanker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Same spot! Im using the bulkhead wall between the engine compartment and battery compartment for my battery switch ACR and negative bus block. Ideally I'd put the charger there as well but there isn't enough room. I think the battery compartment is about 4 feet from the engine compartment to the batteries. So it may be just long enough but I dont think so. Ill be working on the boat again this weekend so I can try to confirm. All reasons why I'm looking for more ideas.

In my boat they are on the port side beneath the rear seat. Therefore, in the pic above the charging leads hook right up. Where is the battery(s) in your 212?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully the charger leads are long enough! The pro mariner has plenty of room. The other thing you might consider is putting your batteries on a tray and sliding them back so the leads connect.

DaBanker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I really do not like the idea of putting any holes in the boat especially the deck area. I've already purchased 1/2 inch PVC board from HD. I am now strongly considering cutting a piece large enough for my two battery trays with velcro on the bottom to hold everything in place. I have considered moving the batteries into the narrow space between the battery compartment and the engine bay but think its just too tight back there. Since I plan to isue the PVC board with velcro I have the ability to move the batteries again if needed.