• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Looking at a new tow rig - Last minute opinions?

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alright guys, you've got a couple of hours to warn me off of this (shoulda posted last night I know but here's my story):

It's about time to bid a sad farewell to my 2005 Suburban. She's been the best vehicle I've ever owned, but at 151,000 miles I know my clock is ticking. If I was just driving around here it would be fine but I keep having visions of having some kind of incapacitating melt-down as I'm passing through Chicago on the expressway in the middle of August with Mamma and the four kids in the car. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

So, it's time to replace.

I'm looking 2nd-hand because - frankly - I just bought a Traverse last year and I can't AFFORD another new car payment - especially for a vehicle that size.

My goal was something 2 - 3 years old with low miles. I was hoping for another Suburban.

Well, the thing about the new Suburbans is that most of them have a 3.08 rear-end in them. This gives you a whopping 5,000 lb towing capacity. Exactly the same as my Traverse. Really? Thanks Chevy.

(I know a lot of folks just hook up and go, but I want a vehicle that the FACTORY says can handle the load I'm hauling. I figure the boat fully loaded is tickling, if not exceeding, 5K lbs. Plus I've got a 75 mile haul (including some expressway) to get to the lake.)

So I looked at Ford Expedition EL and - lo and behold - they come standard with a lower geared rear-end (3.83 I believe) and have a 6,000 lb tow rating. Nowhere near the 8,500 lbs my 4.10 Suburban will yank but at least I've got a little cushion in the capacity numbers.

I found a very nice 2014 Expedition EL (XLT trim) with only 10,000 miles on it at a local dealer. I took it for a test drive last night and it's a decent vehicle. Certainly like new. Not sure if it's all in my head or not but it doesn't seem to have the "grunt" the Suburban has at low end. It does ride nice. Very car-like.

Interestingly, the AutoCheck comes back and doesn't show that it was a lease or rental vehicle but the "was used as a rental" box is checked on the window decal.

The man has 3 of them on his lot. All identical except for color. They all were originally sold in Montana and all went to auction on the same day.

I wonder if some small business had them and went under.

While I'm not thrilled about the rental thing, clearly it couldn't have been a large rental company or it would have showed up on the VIN search (many of these things do when you search 'em), and even more clearly, it was well cared for by whoever had it. It's CLEAN. Plus, who rents an Excursion and beats it up? A Mustang I could see, but an Excursion? (I know, some people are just naturally jerks, but on the whole it can't have seen that much abuse.)

So the man put some numbers together and I'm going to get the bank rolling on the loan and counter-offer him later on today but I wanted to throw this out there to see what you all (not y'all 'cause I'm a notherner) thought before I committed.

The good news is, it's black so it will match the boat. ;)

Is this an ecoboost expedition? If not what motor? I am going to assume 5.0 if not.

I'd imagine it's got the 5.4 three valve motor. The '15's are the first year with the 3.5 Ecoboost and the 5.0 isn't available in the Expedition or its sister Navigator.

My personal opinion is that you wouldn't be happy with all the family and their stuff loaded for a trip with the boat. I'm thinking that it's gonna feel overburdened, but I hope I'm wrong. I agree with you that it's time for the Suburban to go. We crossed that path five years ago with our '01 F150 Supercrew with the 5.4 2 valve and a 3.55 rearend. We had 175k on ours and we wanted to do longer trips with either the boat or the lightweight camper we had at the time. It was fine for just driving around, but for towing it was getting tired. We moved to diesel power and have never looked back. The power is amazing and it will spoil you.

Engine is a 5.4L. 6-speed automatic.

I can definitely agree with @PEARCE on diesel being a strong option. If you get them tuned with some aftermarket parts, you can realistically get close to 20MPG out of most HD vehicles. Chevy or Ford or hell even a DODGE. 150xxx miles on a Chevy doesnt seem like a lot to me but if you take longer trips I can see where you're coming from. Im a Ford guy at hear but I love my Chevy Tahoe. I was raised Ford and went through Ford Factory training as a mechanic but Id steer you away from an Expedition. Although they are nice, I just feel the Chevy feels more powerful. The newer Fords are more loaded and comfortable so theres a toss on power vs. comfort. Your call on that.

Boy did Ford get it wrong on this one. I figured whatever motor the F-150 had the Expedition would follow suit. Horrible specs for a modern day vehicle. I would love to have an expedition with an Ecoboost in it and now that I have a new coyote 5.0 I wouldn't pass on that engine either. It is a beast!!!

That being said my next tow vehicle will probably be an older diesel Excursion 7.3 liter. Tons of room plenty of pulling power and a very reliable motor.

7.3 Excursions are a dime a dozen and whenever you find them, they arent cheap bc people want them! haha. But I agree 100%. 7.3's being bullet proof and a diesel with tons of room, its a win, win WIN.

ADDED:
Of course you could go do a conversion. Ive seen it done to an older Expedition. Get you a wrecked F150 Ecoboost and transplant it into a nice new Expedition. haha. Youll probably pay twice what you would in the end BUT youll have one with Ecoboost!

...My personal opinion is that you wouldn't be happy with all the family and their stuff loaded for a trip with the boat...

I'm a little concerned about that myself. Like I said, it just doesn't seem to have the "grunt" of the Suburban just driving around empty. I think I might be spoiled a bit though.

Keep in mind that while this is my "primary tow vehicle" it is not "primarily a tow vehicle." The reality is that - in my life's current configuration - we only get to use the boat about 10 times a year (and that's a "good' year). This is primarily my "drive to work vehicle" and my "travel to Michigan vehicle" (6 hour drive to my Mom's up North and 6-hour drive to my In-Laws in Lower MI). So comfort is actually a big consideration.

If I'm not making long trips all the time, the whole equation here changes. I'd look for a big ol' diesel tank from 20+ years ago to drag it around with and be happy as a cold pig in warm mud.

My big concerns are 1) It fits in my garage (I will not leave a car outside in WI winters - and my garage is tight) 2) It will tow my boat (even if not as well as ol' blue), 3) my kids all fit with room for two more if need be, 4) It's "young" and has low miles (I need at least 8 years out of it), and 5) I can afford it. That magic combination isn't the easiest thing to find and I think I've found it here.

(As far as the Ford vs. Chevy thing - I don't really care one way or another. I don't carry brand loyalty with me (though I do favor "domestics" for old-school reasons - and I know that's a whole 'nuther discussion). I'm not paid by anyone to advertise for them. You want me to wear a Ford shirt or hat? You'd better give it to me for free.)

Keep the opinions coming. I want to hear 'em!

If you are looking for more comfort, go for the Expedition. Hands down. It will tow the boat, thats not an issue. It will do it. May not tow as good as your "ol' blue" but trust me, itll manage. Those 5.4 3 valves are no slouch. Theyre just gas thirsty. But no one can deny the comfort of the new Fords.

Son in law bought an Excursion 7.3 for the family - specifically to tow the boat and carry all the kids and friends. Works very well for them. Only problem they had - and it was a frustrating one - was the oil pressure regulator (or something along those lines) would make starting a hit or miss adventure until they figured it out.
Now it runs like a champ. I'd say if you can find a clean, low mileage Excursion with that diesel you'll be just fine.

The Expedition might just be a tad bit on the cramped side if you've got a big group and lots of gear, coolers, etc. But you could always toss the gear in the boat I suppose.

Good luck with your decision :cool:

Do not confuse my comments above I love my 06 f 150 with the 3 valve 5.4 liter. It tows our boat with ease and has never left us stranded at the ramp. Being a gas hog is right on par.

Ok. I will start by admitting that I am a Chevy man. Now that that is out of the way, I will tell you that my wife's 2012 Suburban Z71 has the 3.42 rear end and tows like a dream. In my area (Rockford, IL - not too far from you), there are lots of Suburbans with the higher gear ratio. You could expand your search area a little to get what you really want. Also, they changed the suspension in 2012 and the ride is wonderful so comfort will not be an issue. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Ford Expedition EL Limited 4x4 that I bought new. It now has 113,000 miles. When I purchased this vehicle, I really thought I would end up with a Subruban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV, but IMO, the Expedition was more car/SUV like and the Suburban was more like a truck. The Expedition EL drives very well and I like the look and functionality of the vehicle. All of this said, I won't be buying another one.

The vehicle is simply not reliable (at least the one I have had). Since my version is "loaded", I have all of the bells and whistles and many of them have broken (repetitively) and are expensive. The only saving grace I have is that one of my best childhood friends is the Senior Mechanic at a Ford Dealership and has gotten my parts at cost and done the labor for next to nothing. The three biggest issues I have had are:

1. Power deployable running boards - After 5 or so repairs we just gave up and keep them in the closed position which makes it difficult for my wife and 3 small children to get in and out.
  2. Air Suspension System - the compressor and sensors continue to fail. I just replaced the compressor for the 4th time (dealer cost is $710). This time I went with an aftermarket version for $200 and it is working better so far. Constant problems and the mechanic says he replaces them all of the time .
  3. Catalytic Converters - this vehicle has (2) of them and they both cost around $2k each. I have had to replace both around 85k miles. That hurt.
  4. There have been a host of smaller issues which I estimate have cost $1500-2000 over the years. I am not talking about brakes and tires. I am referring to things that shouldn't break like the hinges for the liftglass ($125 each at Dealer cost).
It was my hope to drive this vehicle for 150,000-200,000 miles. I will be shocked if I make it that far. It always seems like it needs something fixed and it isn't cheap. I wish it was not the case, but it is. It has no real issues pulling my AR240, but it doesn't pull it with ease like a F150 Ecoboost or a F250.

We have a 2005 Expedition that my wife drove since new. It has 125k on it now and has never had a major problem. Now she drives the Camaro SS Convertible almost daily so the Expedition hardly ever gets used, accept as a grocery getter. Me....I stick to the F-250!

@biglar155 I have the 2013 Expedition EL. We took it on a long drive with the boat. Both the truck and the boat loaded and it was a great ride and the truck handled it easily. Large, roomy and it hauls well.

Thanks for all the comments guys. (I know if I'd said something sooner I could have gotten a lot more insight - and maybe started a riot or two - but I was so focused on the search that I didn't think to mention it here.)

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Gotta set up the financing yet so it will probably be some time next week before I have pictures.

Hopefully it won't be long and I'll have pictures of it hooked up to the boat!

I have an 01 expedition and an 03 Avalanche.

I'd buy another exped immediately if I had to, bullet proof but for a few replacement parts over its 200k mile service life.

The Avalanche is a luxury ride that tows terribly. I've got so much money in it I can't afford to get rid of it for market value.

Admittedly the OP is looking for something newer and things have probably changed but the exped has been good too me. Lots of room, rows well very reliable. Crappy mileage towing or not.

Well congratulations on the new tow vehicle, I just want to say that I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z 71 with 3.73 gears that has 216,000 miles on it. I never had any issues with this truck except the wheel bearing this year I wouldn't hesitate one moment to hook the boat up and go anywhere I wanted to go. The thing about vehicles you never know when one's going to go let you down.

Back