• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for a little help

JCollins79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello I'm new to the forum and to jetboating. I purchased my 1997 sugar sands tango last july. It has the merc sport jet 175. Ran great but kind hard starting all last summer. This year it runs great when it starts. Heres the issue... After running around on the lake then shutting it off it will flood out. I can crank it all I want till the battery dies and it will never even try to fire. This will happen minutes after being shut down regardless how long I run it for. Then I load it on the trailer, pull the (new) plugs, put jump pack on it, crank it with plugs out and fuel shut off for a few minutes on and off, replace plugs and it will fire right up and run great... Until I shut it off again. Then flooded. Any ideas? Fuel enrichment valve? Needle and seats? Pump?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
2 stroke? Possibly reeds?
Or possibly the fuel pump if it's electric. Don't know that model too well.

JCollins79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2 stroke? Possibly reeds?
Or possibly the fuel pump if it's electric. Don't know that model too well.

From what I can find online is that it has an electric fuel pump that engages during starts but is supposed to shut down once running. Then the mechanical pump takes over.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it carbureted? If so, does it have a float? If drying out the plugs gets it running each time, Sounds like the needle/float is stuck open and draining the bowl of fuel each time you stop. Might be time for a carb rebuild.

JCollins79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is it carbureted? If so, does it have a float? If drying out the plugs gets it running each time, Sounds like the needle/float is stuck open and draining the bowl of fuel each time you stop. Might be time for a carb rebuild.

Yes it is carbureted. That was going to be my first fix this weekend. Was just kinda hoping I didn't have to tear them out and apart haha. Thank you for the input tho.