• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

looking for a phone app for navigation

Ronald

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone using an app for navigation on their smart phone? Was looking for something to assist in night navigation as well as the ability to store routs and way points. But mainly on thise cloudy nights. Some good gps units out there but wanted it for my phone if its accurate. Tx

nasa_vin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been using the Navionics Boating HD app. on my LG G2. It's free or you can get a yearly subscription for $50. You do get a week trial to try out their charts. They are more detailed, but I couldn't see the need to pay. I just use the Govt. charts that are free and they seem to be fine.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
X 2 on navionics, I have it for my iPhone and iPad, $10 and $50 respectively, plus &5 to $15 for extra features. If you get the tablet version but don't have cellular / gps on it it can be used like a paper map (if you download the maps at a wifi hot spot) but won't show you where you are in real time.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
X3 on navionics to be honest it's better then my dedicated garmin marine GPS. I bought the $10 basic maps and many of the upgrades best upgrade is the automatic charting pick a starting point and end point and it charts the best safe path.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I've not tried Navionics yet so I can't comment. Try Motion-X GPS for the rather unreasonable price of $2. I've used this for all sorts of activities from tracking my flight speed on commercial flights, to hiking, biking, hunting, etc. It has worked well on the boat and you can preload in map tiles for offline use.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps/id299949744?mt=8

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have Navionics on my iPhone. Works great where there's cell coverage.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think with the iPhone App you can select an area to "pre-download" so you don't have to have data when using it on the boat. Is this correct?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I believe so, on either the iphone or Android versions you can download, BUT you need to have purchased the map for that area. For example, I tried downloading a small section of Lake Michigan where I normally go boating, and it said I can only download from maps I have purchased. I haven't purchased any, so I don't get to download.
The maps that you pay for also have much more clarity and have depth as well.
Since I have the free version, could someone do a screenshot of the detail on a paid version?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The detail of free version. My lake ain't a triangle!Screenshot_2015-11-18-14-12-35.png

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
From Google Maps:
cedarlake.png

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Awesome!
So you can see the amount of difference in the paid product vs free!
BTW, ain't no way a part of my lake is 16 foot deep, lol

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have Navionics on my iPhone. Works great where there's cell coverage.
As long as the maps are preloaded you should be able to use it even with no cell service. I used it in Bimini in the Bahamas last year with no issues and no cell service only location services turned on

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used the Navonic's app on the Bimini 2014 JetBoater's trip. After downloading all the maps at home for the Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini area it worked fine. I used it on an iPhone 5S. GPS does not work with the phone in airplane mode and you will pickup cell service in Bimini, so make sure you don't use the internet or answer any text messages unless you setup international roaming. GPS tracking does not use your data. It worked perfectly though.

This was before they implemented the yearly subscription fee.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wait, they have a yearly subscription fee you have to pay now? That stinks. How much is it a year?

Also, has anyone used it on multiple devices with one subscription/purchase?
I would like to be able to use it on my phone and the awesome tablet we won at Shelbyville this year but don't want to pay for it twice.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have Navionics HD on my phone and iPad and don't have any type of subscription fee...

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
GPS does not work with the phone in airplane mode and you will pickup cell service in Bimini, so make sure you don't use the internet or answer any text messages unless you setup international roaming
FWIW, the iPhone under iOS 8.2 or later CAN use GPS in airplane mode, netting a battery savings or avoiding unwanted data connection.

I have used my 5S and 6S on recent flights and when seated in a window, I get great reception.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I paid a one time license fee for the basic apps. There were separate licenses fees for the iphone and iPad ($10 and $50 as I recall). There were optional features/maps for an additonal fee ($5 and $15) which I also purchased but don't remember if they were recurring or one time fees. so far it's been worth every penny.

I use the phone on my pwcs and the tablet on the boat. When I'm not using either (which is most of the time) i don't feel bad about having an idle asset since it didn't cost must when compared to a dedicated unit and the device has other uses.