• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for advice on Torch Lake

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Planning on heading out to Traverse City/Torch Lake in June with some friends. We're thinking about renting an Air BnB on the lake (with a dock), but pickings are few and far between, unless we want to pay ~$2K/night with a mandatory 7 night stay (we don't). So, I was thinking maybe in the Elk River area. My question is, would Torch Lake be accessible, by boat, from the shores of the East Arm Grand Traverse bay and about how long would it take?

nesnah2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Torch Lake and that whole lower part of the chain of lakes is awesome. I wouldn't recommend staying ON Torch unless the place has boat lift. That water can kick up quick and it can get ugly. If you can't find a VRBO or AirBnB on the water, there is a marina on Clam Lake that you can rent slips for the week, or however long you are staying.
Bellaire is a great place to stay, and so is Elk Rapids. I have rented houses on the Intermediate River just down from the dam, and on Lake Bellaire.
Check out these websites, and let me know what questions you have. I have been up there a couple of times, and you won't be disappointed.
Chain of Lakes Water Trail
Chain O' Lakes Lake Map Antrim County Michigan Fishing Michigan Interactive™

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Torch Lake and that whole lower part of the chain of lakes is awesome. I wouldn't recommend staying ON Torch unless the place has boat lift. That water can kick up quick and it can get ugly. If you can't find a VRBO or AirBnB on the water, there is a marina on Clam Lake that you can rent slips for the week, or however long you are staying.
Bellaire is a great place to stay, and so is Elk Rapids. I have rented houses on the Intermediate River just down from the dam, and on Lake Bellaire.
Check out these websites, and let me know what questions you have. I have been up there a couple of times, and you won't be disappointed.
Chain of Lakes Water Trail
Chain O' Lakes Lake Map Antrim County Michigan Fishing Michigan Interactive™
Awesome! Thanks! Will check this out!

nesnah2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like I said, if you have any questions just let me know. I'll answer what I can.
I will say that you'll be a little freaked out by how shallow the rivers are, but with a jet boat it's no big deal.

buckley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife and I are owners at Tamarack at Four Mile and launch in Torch at the DNR ramp just south of the lake. Quick trip up the river to the south end of the lake and dumps you off next to the major sandbar.

I don't think you can get from East Bay into Elk Lake. We've driven the boat up that way once and the hydroelectric dam stops you after the marina in Elk Rapids. Keep in mind, you'd have to go through Elk Lake, plus Skegemog, then up Torch River. That's a pretty long trip, the no wake in the river slows you down considerably.

We go to Traverse City half dozen times a year, if you need recommendations let me know.