• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for advise on buying a standup Jetski

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thinking about buying a cheap one for some family fun. I know lots about 2 strokes and mechanics, but not jetskis. Any particular things I should look for in terms of condition. I don't mind doing some work but if there are particular parts that are $$ to fix it would be nice to avoid. The ones I am looking at are older. A 1990 550 kawasaki for $1K has come up so far. Any particular years, sizes and brands that have proven to be great. Thanks. Cam.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thinking about buying a cheap one for some family fun. I know lots about 2 strokes and mechanics, but not jetskis. Any particular things I should look for in terms of condition. I don't mind doing some work but if there are particular parts that are $$ to fix it would be nice to avoid. The ones I am looking at are older. A 1990 550 kawasaki for $1K has come up so far. Any particular years, sizes and brands that have proven to be great. Thanks. Cam.
There's a guy here who has two! No boat however, but he DOES have skis!

Hit him up @SuperJetDan

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. That is an excellent how to and exactly the info I was looking for. Are any of the skis known for crank or rod issues? I have an advantage that I live in a cold area (1/2 the year) so most will have less hours. Thanks for he guide. Cam.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Superjet Dan gave a lot of good advice. I've owned a Kaw 440, 550, and an sxr800. I also owned a 94 square nose superjet with a 701 and a 97 round nose superjet. So many awesome skis to own.

When it comes to cheap, you can't beat the fun factor with a nicely modded 440 or 550. Older models are easily found for around $500 typically with a pipe, heads, and some other mods. They're great for seeing if there's an interest - which I can guarantee there will be! Stay away from the 330 (or was it a 340?) as it severely lacks the power with one cylinder. A modded 440 can be a lot of fun, though, and a 550 even more so. Stock I wouldn't look at since you can find a modded one for really the same price.

Stay away from the Kaw 650. I personally think it's like riding a piece of plywood. Although I think the plywood might out corner it! I'm also not a fan of the 750 but that one is more personal opinion. The 650 is more fact haha. The 800 is a great stand up that will excite a lot of new riders since its the easiest to learn on. It's very stable for a stand up and it has a ton of power. But the weight is also there and likes to plow the nose. It's great for high speed and will carve like no other stand up with great power in stock form, but it's not playful due to the weight and it sucks in the surf. They usually start around the $2,500 mark for an older one.

As for Yam... The superjet is King! I never liked the old school square noses. The early models (92 -93) came with a 650cc. Stock form they're dogs. The 94 and 95 models came with a 701cc. Im not sure why I never liked the squares, but in 96 the hull changed to a round nose and the 701cc engine went from a single carb to dual carb. Throw on a pipe, heads, msd enhancer, etc etc etc and the ski really comes alive. I still severely miss my round nose! Superjets are always in high demand so they can fetch a premium. When I sold mine I sold it in one day from listing it and he drove 10 hours to pick it up. I made a $2k profit but I also put a ton of work and labor into it. The FX is also a very fun stand up. It rides like a 550 on steroids. They're difficult to find but every now and then someone doesn't realize what they have and sells them cheap. If you can find one cheap they usually don't last long at all unless it needs a lot of work.

Be prepared to fall in love! Feel free to ask about any you're interested in.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats good to know. I have a shed full of dirtbikes so have the pre-mix and favorite synthetic oil figured out. What do those things weigh? Can 2 strong people lift one? Cam.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The old school 440 and 550 were very light. I'd take a guess around 230lbs. Superjets are around 290 lbs. The SXR is a pig at around 350lbs. They're easy to lift out of a pickup truck. Not so easy to get back in after a day of riding and you're sore! I have a beach cart that makes life easier and in a pinch I could do it alone lifting it in and out of my pickup onto/ from the beach cart.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had a Kawasaki X2 (650 cc), a 550 SX and a first year Yamaha FX1 (701cc in a 550 size body). All were good, the FX was the fastest and most nimble stock but it also had the smallest fuel tank at 3.X gallons. All were easy to move around by just two people. Eventually my girlfriend, now wife, and aching knees and back convinced me to give up the stand-ups in favor of seated models. The performance comparison is like a porche 911 to a Lincoln town car.

If I were in the market for a used ski, which my son and I have talked about getting as a fixer-upper/bonding project, I'd be on the lookout for a Yamaha Wave Blaster I or II (650cc and 701cc, respectively) similar to the one in this the following craigslist ad.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4370656625.html

It's like an X2 (i.e., has a small seat that is not really stable to sit on unless the ski is moving) but handles better and from what I've heard is very reliable. I wouldn't go stock unless the price was right but mods I would want include a finger throttle instead of a thumb operated unit, extended or finned ride plate and an after market top loading intake grate as well as any bolt on parts in the engine compartment (pipes, water boxes, etc.). I learned the hard way to stay away from skis that have been bored out and tuned to perform usually at the cost of reliability (unless you know and trust the person who did the work). If/when a single / freestyle ski dies on the water the rider is floating in the water not on it. At least with most other models you have a place to sit, relatively high and dry until help comes.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The blaster 1 is a 701cc and the blaster II is a 760cc. Awesome ski! image.jpg Not as much fun as a stand up except in the surf, though. Maybe even more fun in the surf than a stand up!

Also the only thumb throttles I've seen were on Doo's. Never saw a stand up or any Yam with anything other than a finger throttle.

If you're looking for a blaster Ronnie I'd stay away from the B2. It had more power but was heavier and nowhere near as fun to ride. I'd also look for one with a b-pipe and heads to start. Try to find one with aftermarket steering (not just the bars this was a weak point) and make sure to check under the rear lip where it meets the hull for cracking. This was common for blaster a used in the surf without reinforcing the lip.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks Skysurfer. I should have realized that the B1 had a 701cc motor since it came out about the same time I got an FX1 (there were a lot of days I wished I would have bought a b1 instead). As you know, riding a single / freestyle ski takes some skill and balance since the steering column move up and down instead of being fixed. Both of my referenced Kawasaki skis and the ones I had afterwards (similar to the one in the attached ad but stock and can't remember the model number now) all came stock with thumb throttles, I remember because it was always the first thing I replaced. Good to know what to look for in the model I'm considering. It may be a winter project for my son and I (just want a good base unit that my son and I can work on together, don't want to replace the engine but don't want a "turn key" model either).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/4391194135.html

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Didn't realize that! It was a while ago since I owned them so maybe they did have the thumb throttles. Or maybe they were converted before I owned them. Now I'm trying to remember if my Sxr had a thumb throttle since I purchased that new. I can't remember!

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thinking of searching for a clean RTR
- js550sx
-superjet. (Squarenose, roundhouse, or new 2013;2014)
- fx-1
-750 sxi pro
standup jetski.

Would like to find a ready to run (rtr) unit. Any opinions, experience, or preferences appreciated.

Plan to just put on the jet Boat swim deck and blast around while wife swims and plays music.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found a 2005 js550sx, stock clean, good shape original graphics still. $850.

Seams like a good deal, any opinions?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like a good price . I would be sure to test ride it before closing the deal.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Honestly that sounds a little high to me. Ideally I'd want a 550 with a pipe and heads, but a stock 550 in mint I wouldn't pay more than $500 maybe $600 for. Unless that price includes a trailer.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the 550. $800. Was pretty clean and started right up. Was not able to water test. Will need to take out one weekend and try it out. Slid right into van.

I understand I could have bought a faster modified unit for the same money but at this point I wanted stock and hopefully reliable.

Now to mount on the boat, maybe on the swim deck.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20150521_162207.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had one of those, reminds me of the good old days. That pic makes me feel young and old. Thanks for sharing it.