• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for Central Florida advice - Disney & beach trip planning

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The family and I have an opportunity to take the kids on a trip during what is an off time of the school year (early fall), so we thought that lent itself pretty well to hitting Disney World in Florida to avoid some of the crowds. The kids will be 7 (almost 8) and 5.5 years old, so they should love the Disney deal at those ages. It's been a really long time since my wife and I have been to Disney and most of the other parks down there, a lot has changed, so we're basically starting from scratch here planning-wise.

So I'm reaching out here because I know there is quite a few of you that live or have visited central Florida. Our plan is an 8 - 9 day trip, a number of those days at the Disney parks, but we also want to spend some time at a beach location for likely the last part of the trip. I would love as much of the the local's advice as possible!

Here are some questions that I'd like to get some advice/suggestions on:
  1. Any suggestions on specific Disney things to hit or miss from your experience? I'm trying to figure out how many days will be enough/too much for this part of the trip based on that. On the list so far for us is: Disney for a couple days, Animal Kingdom for a day, one of the water parks, Epcot is on the fence at this point and so is Hollywood studios.
  2. For going to the beach, what cities would you recommend looking? I was leaning more Gulf coast, but that's not really based off much. Also I don't want to drive that far (approx. 3 hrs-ish I'm thinking) from Orlando, we will have a car to drive where we want. I was originally looking for a VRBO type place, but most look to want a week's rental, so probably a hotel/resort is better for the 3-4 days we would be looking for. Plus I would like to get out to restaurants, so not much of a need to have a kitchen, etc.
  3. I'd like to get Cape Canaveral in the mix, but that might depend on where the best beach spot ends up being... Also if there is a launch during the time we are there, I would make this a priority. :cool:
  4. Legoland is also on the list as an option, is it worth going to? Both kids love Legos (and I do too), but not sure how it will stack up to Disney (get it!? stack...Legos. ok nevermind :sorry:).
  5. Other ideas/suggestions/attractions to hit?

Steelerville

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since i'm from the area. I guess I will chime in. Cocoa Beach is a great beach to hang out at and you will pass thru Cape Canaveral. The kids will love Legoland, my granddaughter couldn't stop talking about it for days but Disney is Disney - tjhe happiest place on earth. If you can afford stay at one of the resort property's, the fast pass is free or it used to be.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My wife is a Disney travel/concierge agent. I can help you in that department, but most successful Disney trips are planned 6 months or more in advance in order to secure the big ticket dinner reservations. If you plan to go for more than 3 days, we always suggest a day of rest in between. Disney will sap every bit of energy you have. We usually spend a couple of days in Magic Kingdom, about a day and a half in Epcot, and one in both Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom with a rest day built in somewhere. We stay on property and enjoy the perks that go along with that. We always buy the dining plan. If you are planning to stay on Disney property and are interested in her or her company's services, Inbox me. It cost you nothing.....and you will get a customized itenerary for each day. My wifes services are in high demand in the fall, so I'm not sure she could take on another trip, but you wold get great service from any of the agents she refers you to.

Last edited:

MITEASWELL

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
The last few years we've had annual passes to Disney, we live about 20 minutes away and we usually go every Wednesday right after the kids get out of school to one of the 4 parks. The wife and I really enjoy Epcot pretty much a slow pace, still really crowded and without fast pass almost impossible to get on Soren or test track, without standing in line for 80 minutes. Animal Kingdom would be next on our list of favorite places to go at Disney, it's a small park and you can get a lot done with three fast passes. Magic Kingdom is the best, it takes a well planned out day or two to successfully get through that park, for us we will get three afternoon fast passes have some dinner come on home. Hollywood studios is our least favorite park not sure why none of us really enjoy going there. Hope that helps with some Disney info, if you want anymore information on Disney just let me know be happy to help.

Our favorite place to go to the beach is Daytona we stay at a Holiday Inn it's clean quiet reasonably priced, about a mile from the boardwalk we enjoy walking up and down the beach as a matter fact we're going there this weekend.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
BTW......the fall is one of our favorite times to go.....especially if you are there during any of their Halloween celebration. We actually prefer the Halloween parties more than the Christmas ones. Oh.....and after you are hooked on Disney World, plan the Disney Cruise next year. You won't be disappointed.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We went to Disney at the end of the 2014. That time of the year is crazy busy. It was one long line after another.

So here are my tips.

1. Go to SeaWorld. You can see all of it in a day that you would have spent in Disney lines. You can walk into the dolphin and orca shows right before they start and still find seats. The dining choices are terrible but it is so much more accessible than Disney.

2. There are early and late fireworks shows at the Disney parks. Most of the parents with kids go home after the first fireworks show. The older late crowd comes in between the shows. If you are are near a ride that you want to ride you may be able to have a brief period of access to the rides during this turnover.

3. Disney allows rides to be booked days in advance using their arm band tracking devices. You want to give away all of your privacy to Disney so you can actually ride a ride.

4. We stayed at http://www.nickhotel.com . It is just as close as the Disney hotels and has shuttle busses You can have breakfast with Spongebob and dinner with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Nick characters hang out at the pools in the evenings and you can be slimed by 300 gallons of slime any time of the day.

5. Take the kids to Bimini in 2016 instead. It is a way better experience for a similar cost.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a nice beach rental in Daytona Beach Shores if you aren't staying in the park. Pm me or get in touch through VRBO.

www.vrbo.com/262293

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have a nice beach rental in Daytona Beach Shores if you aren't staying in the park. Pm me or get in touch through VRBO.

www.vrbo.com/262293
Wow, That looks like a great little place and the price is awesome. We might hit you up for availability one of our trips down there.

@RightStuff Plan to spend twice as much as you think you will. Disney has mastered the cash vacuum. It will be awesome for the kids though. We've gone at all times of the year and learned it's never less crowded, just less HOT.

If you wanna do LEGOLAND, do it this trip before they get any older. My youngest daughter was 9 and not that into it. The 16 year old was super bored.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome suggestions everyone, super appreciate all the info.

My wifes services are in high demand in the fall, so I'm not sure she could take on another trip, but you wold get great service from any of the agents she refers you to.
Thanks for the offer, we do have a close family friend that is also in the travel business and has put us in contact with a 'Disney' expert, so I think we're covered, but I will let you know if that doesn't work out.

5. Take the kids to Bimini in 2016 instead. It is a way better experience for a similar cost.
I did think about that, but the 2000 mile trek down with the boat in tow is just not my idea of a 'vacation' with young kids. :)

I have a nice beach rental in Daytona Beach Shores if you aren't staying in the park.
Thanks for that, but might be too small for our group (not just our family going). I haven't totally written off VRBO options, so thanks for sending it.

Sounds like LegoLand is worth it, so we'll get that into the itinerary as well as a rest day somewhere in there, that's good advice.

We will check out Cocoa beach and Daytona. Both are on the Atlantic side, any reasons why that side would be better/worse that the Gulf side in Sept/Oct? Are the beaches and/or hotels/resorts better on one side than the other?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It's an hour and a half (with only moderate traffic) from Tampa to Orlando so more like 2 hours to get to the west coast from Orlando. If you're doing the parks, you'll be much happier on that side. Trust me, you'll be worn out after Disney with the kids, you don't want to drive an hour and a half, you just want to get to a couch.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We love Disney World, have been several times in the last 4 years.

Your kids are the perfect age now for Legoland, another year or so and your oldest won't enjoy it much any more (that's my opinion).

I've always stayed on property, we enjoy the perks that come along with it.
We did the dining plan twice, one time went all out and I've never ate so well for two weeks before! But it takes a lot of planning and reservations to get your money's worth.

One of the biggest money saving tips I can think of is at any drink place they HAVE to give you a cup of water if you ask for it, we saw so many people buying the $5 bottles of water but if you ask them they will give you a cup of ice water. We took along a couple of the little squirty bottles of koolaid mix to add if we were tired of drinking plain water.

Photo pass is worth it as well, if you link all of your family together with the magic bands you can stop at everyone one of the photographers and get pics taken for that one price. And the pics taken on rides are automatically added and such, it really is a good deal.

We really like the Typhon Lagoon water park, if you can get there before they open the gates, go through the ticket booth and go left down the walkway, there is a second "gate" down there that most people don't realize is there. When they lift the rope, we went on down to the kids area of the park and had our pick of the big covered "pavilion" things for a home base all day long. This is the first time I've ever told anyone about this, I know I'm not the only one that's knows it but it almost seemed like it every time we've been there!

MABrentwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have two kids ages 3 and 6, and we have been twice in the past year. Check out undercover tourist's website - tons of info that will help you plan. Also disboards - a forum with lots of advice. If you are looking for a great family beach town, try Siesta Key. It is about 2 hours from Disney, and we love Siesta Dunes, but there are many condos to choose from. The local aquarium (Mote) has a great activity, where they have a biologist take you out in their boat (not a jet boat, but a decent 23 foot bowrider) into Sarasota bay and let you scoop up animals (crabs, seahorses, fish) and look for dolphins and manatees. Very educational, the kids love it. As for Disney, I would skip Epcot and Universal at this point if you have to cut something out - we only go to the Magic Kingdom, and my kids love it. I like staying at the Swan and Dolphin - all the benefits of a Disney property, but less expensive. Hope this helps a little!

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am a Disney Vacation Club member and go quite often. I highly recommend staying on property if possible. Take advantage of the early entry into the parks" extra magic hours", you can walk onto a lot of rides during that time and then you can skip out during the middle of the day when it is the busiest part of the day (and hottest) and head back to the room for a break. You can set up your fast passes for later in the day after your break when you get back to the park.

LEGOLAND I have not been to, but it is very close to where my parents live and I hear very good things about it.

As far as which coast to go to, the only thing I would keep in mind is the waves are much bigger and rough on the east coast. The west coast is very calm. That might make a difference for your relaxation while at the beach. The west coast you can sit in your chair with a cocktail and supervise your kids. You may not feel comfortable with that on the east coast.

Have a great time and let us know if you have more questions.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last year we took my 3.5 year old boy to Disney the last week of October. The weather was great and the lines were no where near as long as they are in the winter. October can still be frying hot here so keep that in mind when packing! We stayed at the Art of Animation resort on site. The area we stayed in was Nemo and Cars themed -- great times and photos! We took our time an explored what we could and did not rush or overload the poor kids head. We only stayed a few days as we have the benefit of coming yearly if we would like. Take a trip to Downtown Disney for dinner and sites one night.

As for the beach location, you could reach Naples in 3 hours so you have a lot of possibilities on the Gulf Coast. I would pick something around Sarasota/Venice.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last two weeks in October or first two weeks in November is must, or anytime before thanksgiving really. We've vacated for 15 years plus at this time and never experienced queues. Its a pleasure to go and I hate crowds.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Last two weeks in October or first two weeks in November is must, or anytime before thanksgiving really. We've vacated for 15 years plus at this time and never experienced queues. Its a pleasure to go and I hate crowds.
NOT thanksgiving week though. Most Florida schools have the full week off. I know all of them here in the panhandle do.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We won't be going that late in the year (Sept/Oct time), but good to know if someone else is looking at this...

Thanks again for all the ideas, keep them coming if you have any more. I'm sure I will have more as we get closer and get some things booked/reserved.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@RightStuff - just to throw in my two sense: I just came back from an Orlando vacation. We visited Disney earlier this year in January and my 9 y/o son liked it but was't that amazed by it. Apparently we all grew up with the Disney characters, our kids... not so much. He absolutely loved LEGOLAND though!! However his favorite, and it will depend on what characters your kids like, is UNIVERSAL. Both parks are a blast!! They have some great resorts on site as well. The rides are fast and fun and the Harry Potter section is mind blowing on the details. The kids can buy a "magic" wand and they have spots where they can take those $50 sticks and make things move and create "magic". He had to visit each little place.

I think the parks to go to really depends on your kids taste. Big rides? Favorite characters? Animals? Sea life?
(btw, if you go to SEAWORLD, stay at the resort. You get to swim with dolphins. Then get a reservation to eat at the Shark Grill. Upscale dining INSIDE the shark tank.) (BUSH GARDENS also has some very fast and fun rides).

yes - my family are all adrenaline junkies when it comes to our roller coasters.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Get the Disney app for you phone,, it tells you tons of info including all the wait times for the rides and you can plan your rides that way. I spent 5 days there early last spring, I full day per park and we still didn't see everything. That was plenty for me but everyone else enjoyed it. We also spent one day at Universal studios. If you go there spend the extra money and get the fast pass, that was awesome. We rode over 20 rides that day, sometimes I know I rode the ride 3 times and seen the same people in the main line still waiting for the first ride. I liked Disney for the detail and design of the park but if you want rides Universal was way better in my mind. We rented a condo about 5 miles away which wasn't to bad. We took a cooler each day with some sandwiches and snacks to save a few bucks. They have pretty good size lockers right inside the entrance of each park. I don't remember the exact size but they are listed on their website. Good luck and have fun.
I think the Gulf side beaches are awesome. The sand at Siesta Key Ray beach is like baby powder,, simply amazing. But when your from Minnesota, any beach is amazing so we might be easily amused.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I live 5 min from LegoLand on the lake. It is a great park for the young ones.. if you want to visit a beach do st pete the gulf side for sure. its 2 hrs from disney but much nicer than the atlantic side.