• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for feedback on the 2018 Yamaha 212x

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Asking for a rope to not touch the extended bimini when at idle speeds is really asking a bit too much in my opinion. Geometry for that just doesn't work. I don't wakesurf so I don't know what the rope does in that type of pulling but mine doesn't touch when on the highest setting when tubing (no comments needed) or wakeboarding from the tower once you accelerate off of idle.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's from the 19' boats where @viper15 cut down his legs of the bimini to allow the canvas enough slack to use the other bimini pole settings. There are no issues with rubbing on the bimini. We always put the rope above the bimini and no issues. See this thread for pics of people pulling with their bimini deployed and an illustration I did explaining angles. 2016 AR190 - Can you use wakeboard tower and bimini at same time?

I don't know of any specific 21' bimini issue that is different than other boats, excluding larger X series since it's much larger and different design.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Asking for a rope to not touch the extended bimini when at idle speeds is really asking a bit too much in my opinion. Geometry for that just doesn't work. I don't wakesurf so I don't know what the rope does in that type of pulling but mine doesn't touch when on the highest setting when tubing (no comments needed) or wakeboarding from the tower once you accelerate off of idle.
Absolutely!
the rope will touch at idle any bimini EXCEPT
  1. some ski boats that have the front "half" cover only, off of the tower
  2. 242 E models with the large tower - where the rope goes under

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Mine rubbed on my 212x on shorter wakeboarding rope, not bad but it annoyed me so I cut my middle poles down so I could use the lowest setting on the back poles. Yamaha even says to use the lowest setting for towing and I don't care what anyone says my bimini would not stretch to accommodate that unless I ripped it. I also did a slight mod so I could store the bimini on top of the tower in front of the tow point. From factory the bimini sits right behind in the way of the tow point when folded up :confused:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not the 212x, but same bimini
upload_2018-7-24_11-55-34.png

upload_2018-7-24_11-55-49.png

--

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yeah I've seen pictures like this before. Always wonder what setting they have it on or how that works for them. Some claim to be able to use the lower settings, some like me know that it isn't even close to possible. Some say they stretch over time to accommodate it later on. Not going to claim it is a problem for every boat like mine but I can say 2 things for sure

1. no way my bimini at this point in time would even come close to stretching to the lowest setting as Yamaha indicates.
2. at the highest setting rope would rub when wakeboarding, again not bad but annoyed me - some may not care

we also tend to have a full boat most times out so that may affect the attitude of the boat as well (less angle up toward bow?) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will add that I'm also one of the naughty ones that pull tubes from the tower and before my mod you'd have to go under the bimini, which I didn't like either - now all pulling can go over fine - except surfing which I still go under but that doesn't matter as the rope stays pretty stationary.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I've seen pictures like this before. Always wonder what setting they have it on. Some claim to be able to use the lower settings, some like me know that it isn't even close to possible. Some say they stretch over time to accommodate it later on. Not going to claim it is a problem for every boat like mine but I can say 2 things for sure

1. no way my bimini at this point in time would even come close to stretching to the lowest setting as Yamaha indicates.
2. at the highest setting rope would rub when wakeboarding, again not bad but annoyed me - some may not care

we also tend to have a full boat most times out so that may affect the attitude of the boat as well (less angle up toward bow?) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will add that I'm also one of the naughty ones that pull tubes from the tower and before my mod you'd have to go under the bimini, which I didn't like either - now all pulling can go over fine - except surfing which I still go under but that doesn't matter as the rope stays pretty stationary.
My rear bimini poles (adjustable) I believe are at the middle setting. The bimini might have stretched a tad, but not much. So, I agree, I don;'t buy the "it will stretch" hypothesis.

And, yeah, I also tow EVERYTHING from the tower including tubes. (you know, like they show in Yamaha commercials, lol)
In all seriousness (and I consider myself somewhat of an expert on Yamaha AR towers) those towers are over-engineered for pulling/towing. The way things are built, in my opinion the AR tower tow point will withstand a ton more weight/pull as compared to the lower tow-point (the hook at the stern).
(As along as the force vector is aligned with pulling from behind the boat.)

--

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The rope never touches the bimini on my 2008 212X. :D
I think the bimini on the newer 21' forward swept towers was a bit of an afterthought.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
See I just don’t get this. You have the same boat as me. Before I did the mod my tubing rope had to go under the Bimini and it didn’t touch the underneath of the Bimini if that gives you an idea of how hard it would rub if I put it over it. I believe you but wth - makes me wonder if the Bimini attachment points aren’t consistent across our mode or maybe just mine?

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Only thing that may be different is I use a 75' tube rope. I'll be out this weekend and will snap some pictures if we have anyone on the tube.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Only thing that may be different is I use a 75' tube rope. I'll be out this weekend and will snap some pictures if we have anyone on the tube.
I do too so that’s not it. Not concerned since the Bimini pole mod worked great for me but just kinda weird.

Jeff Jozwi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Is anyone using a wave shaper that goes on the side of the boat? Like Malibu's surf gate. I see lots of chatter about a wedge in front of the jets but not on the side. Thx.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is anyone using a wave shaper that goes on the side of the boat? Like Malibu's surf gate. I see lots of chatter about a wedge in front of the jets but not on the side. Thx.
That's been tried to death along with other concepts but the results have been nil...
A notable exception is @Williamsone46 - he has posted on his sources and other good info in his 242x thread

Pretty much everyone uses the Gantlin wedge.

Oh, and there is @bobbie...! She uses nothing (but ballast) in her 212x. Some say the water in her river flows different, lol.

--

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Absolutely!
the rope will touch at idle any bimini EXCEPT
  1. some ski boats that have the front "half" cover only, off of the tower
  2. 242 E models with the large tower - where the rope goes under
I just bought a 2018 to 212 X and I told the rope that the rope slightly rubs on the bimini. He told me that it supposed to go underneath that's why there's a zipper on it.

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Look at your manual you're not supposed to pull a tube from the tower only from the back hook.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look at your manual you're not supposed to pull a tube from the tower only from the back hook.
LOL. You mean - like in Yamaha commercials?
upload_2018-8-1_0-23-26.png

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He told me that it supposed to go underneath that's why there's a zipper on it.
That's bs.
I wouldn't do it!!!
The zipper is to reach the tow point from underneath the bimini.

--

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
That's bs.
I wouldn't do it!!!
The zipper is to reach the tow point from underneath the bimini.

--
Yep agreed! Total BS! So dumb when dealers tell customers BS like that when they have no clue. Much rather have them just say "I don't know" and even better when they add "I'll try and find out for you". The manual itself states to drop the back of the bimini to the lowest point so the tow rope can be used above the bimini.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
He's confusing the 212X with the 242X. On the 242X, the rope goes underneath the bimini. 212X, it most certainly goes above the bimini. I've used mine a good bit and haven't had any problems with the rope rubbing the bimini, ONCE UNDERWAY. Again, the stern of the boat drops, along with the angle of boat, once you hit the throttle. I muscle my bimini to the lower setting as well.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hold off on the 2018 212x. Seems lots of issues this year but am still researching as to the cause. I bought one in June and has been in the shop twice already and no ETA on fix. Yamaha has great track record but based on what I have found so far it seems some issues have cropped up on 2018 212x and possibly some other models
What are these issues