• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Looking for our first boat - advice?

NYboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi everyone,

As the title says we're looking to purchase our first boat. Aside from going out time to time over the years with friends and browsing forums we're essentially rookies, but have always wanted to be out on the water. We are in upstate NY with easy access to some awesome lakes with friends and family close by. The kayaks just don't cut it anymore..

As of now we are looking for a used jet boat (2015 or newer?) that can carry 4-6 people and/or tow a tube or two. We have considered a pair of jet skis although we think the ability to go out and relax on the lake will be limited by them. The AR 195 seems to be a great fit for both size and price. A 210 would be great as well but pushes the price tag a bit. Yamaha's seem to be the most abundant, most discussed, and very reliable but we aren't tied to one brand. We're hoping to be around 20-30k but this is flexible. Thinking of putting 25% down, and financing the rest.

Now my overly cautious self is most concerned about buying a money pit. I get it, these are depreciating assets. I assume an operating cost + depreciation of about 3k a year or I should say season as the warm weather comes and goes rather quick up here. Likely get 20-30 hours of run time a season. Is this realistic? Do dealers really gouge you on trade in value if we decide to upgrade or sell? What I want to avoid is being severely underwater on the value if we realize it's not for us or we can justify an upgrade down the road.

We appreciate any suggestions and/or advice. Thank you!

But a used one, so your do not get a new depreciation. That being said my main concern right now is how stable is your income. If you feel secure with it then this is year is great year to buy a boat.

Yamaha jet boats are not money pits in the sense that you are thinking off. Now the voluntary mods is a different story.

I know this guy who purchased a 240 for $35,000. 3 years maintenance cost consisted of 3 oil chances. Boat related costs ( not including a new truck or vacation or fuel ) is roughly $20k.

Welcome!

How much boating experience do you and your family have? If you've only been on a boat a few times and have never really taken one out for the day on your own I'd suggest taking care of the theory with a US Power Squadron course: America's Boating Club | Power Boat Courses

Before buying, try as many boats as you can. If you don't have many friends with boats, a good way to do this is with rentals. Pontoons are easy to handle and a great safe way to learn if you don't have an experienced boater who can come with you and show you the ropes. I'd much rather learn how to dock using a beat-up rental than my own.

New boat, old boat, it doesn't matter; they all cost money to keep on the water but from going under water! We're out $5000 this year so far, no counting depreciation and that's only with 10 hrs worth of usage (insurance, bought a few boards, lifejackets, wetsuits, tube, battery, charger, it adds up really fast!)

My personal opinion is that cars & houses can be financed, as those are needs, but toys should be bought in cash. The problem with financing is 1 year later, you could be under on the loan if you buy from a dealer and then sell/trade to a dealer.

If you are dead-set on buying vice renting this summer, my advice would be to buy something for $5000-$8000 that's in running condition (have someone competent test the engine compression) and then see in a year. Much of the gear you buy in the 1st year would be usable for your 2nd boat and the potential depreciation on a sub $10 000 boat will be negligible. On a $22 000 loan over 5 years at 5%, after the 1st year you still owe over $18 000. Ask yourself this: If part way through the summer you had an unplanned $1000 expense, would that stop you from boating? BOAT: Break Out Another Thousand (I kid you not ....)

For 4-6 people and water sports, the 18 to 20 foot range is ideal. In my youth, we did a lot behind a 16' with a 75 HP 2 stroke outboard. Do I have any more fun with 250 hp? I can't say for sure.

That being said, you are in a fantastic area in terms of water. There's lots of boat rental places which would allow you to try different types and sizes to see what works for you. Even spending $2000 on rentals is nothing compared to buying, insurance, maintaining a boat.

If you do buy and have not been around boats, please consider getting it inspected by a mechanic who can also test the compression and download any codes from the ECU. An engine replacement could really ruin your summer.

Last edited:
Welcome! Definitely agree with what they both said. It is likely you will spend more in mods than you will in maintenance. Heck, storage will likely cost you more, especially if you do maintenance yourself (lots of resources here for that--see the FAQ at the top). And insurance. And...

Look at a 21 footer...

Fill in your location on your profile and check the member map. You may find several people willing to give you a trial on a jetboat...

Thank you all for the prompt replies! To answer a few questions...

Experience wise - my s/o and I grew up going out on relatives boats most summers, maybe as much as 5 days each year just going out to drop anchor or tube for a bit. They were anything from a 30'+ cabin cruiser to a 16 to 20' o/b. We never piloted, but completed the boat safety training courses early on. I plan to redo this anyways. Any rentals over the years were pwc. So I guess I can say the experience is there being on them, just not owning and operating. Our idea for a 195/210 comes from the past experiences riding on boats of similar size. While we believe we could get by with a shorter boat, we want to avoid any buyers remorse.

We will be trailering to and from and storing outside in the summer and then enclosed for the winter (unheated for $10 a foot). Is heated highly recommended even after winterization?

I will definitely look into having someone with more knowledge than I inspect everything before purchasing. I won't pretend to be a know-it-all, I've done routine maintenance on vehicles and small engines in the past and thats it.

I'd like to think mods at first will be the essentials for safety, and then a handful of items for tubing/relaxing. We are not big spenders, which is partially why this process has taken the better part of 2 years of consideration. Like many have said, this is a toy, not a need. The bug may bite me one day but I don't anticipate spending thousands on extras when we're just starting out.

As far as financing, this is a very valid point. We are looking at between 3.6 and 4.3% for 4-6 years. I need to verify with the lender about early payoff, but there's a good chance we will likely just finance and then pay it off shortly down the road. Truthfully, 40k would fit our budget still, but we see no need to spend that much for what we are looking for just starting out. Could we buy it out right now? Sure. However a small part of me abundantly prepared for anything COVID can throw our way. No concerns about job loss or otherwise, but as we have seen so far no one can predict what will happen.

Just a follow up message looking for some advice. I have a few leads on leftover 2019 AR 195s and an AR 210 along with a Scarab 215.
The Yamahas are listed at sticker and I haven’t discussed pricing yet as I’m curious what is a reasonable expectation for discount is on a 2019 now? I know it’s possible to negotiate add-ons to offset little to no discount so what would you suggest be the best approach to working out a deal and/or highly sought after add-ons?
On the other hand the Scarab I got down to just over 15% off MSRP with no add-ons. This brought the scarab close to the price range of the AR 210. I find the Scarab to be much “nicer” but limited info on forums and limited service locations nearby make me think twice.

I appreciate any suggestions or insight. I think a leftover 2019 is my best bet right now. Thank you!

I can't speak for Scarab but Yamaha makes boats that are very reliable and really aren't "money pits". They don't require a ton of expensive maintenance. ALL boats (well, not sailboats) use fuel at a rate that may startle the unititiated. It is not at all difficult to burn through 40-50 gallons of gas in a weekend of boating. Aside from the cost of the boat itself, if you intend to spend a lot of your time running (and especially pulling tubes), fuel will be your largest cost line item.

I would also suggest getting the largest boat you can afford/tow/store. the 210 is a great size and will let you comfortably bring along extra people. Nothing wrong with a 195 at all but I'm a fan of bigger myself. Boats seems to shrink considerably once you're out on the water.

One question: Do the waters you will be boating have any significant floating debris or floating/subsurface vegetation? Both of those items can make jet drives be a bit of a hassle. Just something to take into consideration.

Hi
Welcome aboard.

I was in you position and after having deal on 2020 SX190 go South thanks to Covid and everyone buying up the 19', I found a gem in a 2014.
While its not new and has the newer bells and whistle is still a 19" and has the 1800cc engine.

The SC models are gas guzzlers. I hated towing with my FXSHO because of it and long rides I carried gas jik.
The NA is a much better choice in my opinion
I paid 18100.

You need to do due diligence and water test any used boat, Take someone familiar with you are new to how jet boats drive/steer

Seller was nice. Let me do compression test after water test and engine had even numbers across all 4cyls. Needed a new lock for rear hatch and new bow light cover but its mint otherwise
It nice too if you have garage are planning to keep it in. In Florida we have Hurricane braces and it just clears it.

With regards to Scarab/Chaparral they took over Seadoo boat line and they electronics are plagued and their skis sink due to carbon seals.
Yamaha FTW every time.

I can't speak for Scarab but Yamaha makes boats that are very reliable and really aren't "money pits". They don't require a ton of expensive maintenance. ALL boats (well, not sailboats) use fuel at a rate that may startle the unititiated. It is not at all difficult to burn through 40-50 gallons of gas in a weekend of boating. Aside from the cost of the boat itself, if you intend to spend a lot of your time running (and especially pulling tubes), fuel will be your largest cost line item.

I would also suggest getting the largest boat you can afford/tow/store. the 210 is a great size and will let you comfortably bring along extra people. Nothing wrong with a 195 at all but I'm a fan of bigger myself. Boats seems to shrink considerably once you're out on the water.

One question: Do the waters you will be boating have any significant floating debris or floating/subsurface vegetation? Both of those items can make jet drives be a bit of a hassle. Just something to take into consideration.

check out this video.

Back