• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for reliable tower installer in the IN, KY, OH area - 2017 Yamaha SX195

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello folks. Looking for a reliable installer for a Monster Tower MTK in the IN, KY, OH area. Any recommendation? This will be for a 2017 SX195. At this time leaning towards the Monster Tower MTK. Thanks.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello folks. Looking for a reliable installer for a Monster Tower MTK in the IN, KY, OH area. Any recommendation? This will be for a 2017 SX195. At this time leaning towards the Monster Tower MTK. Thanks.
I'm not too familiar with those new models; in general, Yamaha makes the same hull for SX/AR. You could probably see the enforcements on the inside. I would try to find a tower that would be compatible with the factory mounts - to mount over the factory reinforced hull/cap. If the exact match is not possible, I would mount as close as possible, and definitely install the feet/bases on top of the hull cap, not the sides - gunnels, there is too much flex - freeboard FRP shell is only 1/4" thick in these boats if that.

--

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What he said. The fiberglass on the Yamahas (I have learned) is pretty thin compared to some others. It also has much less wood/aluminum substructure. That is wonderful in that you don't have to worry about a little nick in the gelcoat rotting out the wood in your fiberglass (because there is little or none there). Downside is that when adding something big like a tower or a cleat that is going to take some pretty good forces, it is pretty important to hit the spot they designed for that or plan to REALLY reinforce the area.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Find a company that does fiberglass repairs on boats they may be willing to install it. On the otherhand it's not that hard if a job to do it yourself.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you folks and I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. I may also consider the old style (AR192) tower which is fastened in more points that the forward facing style. Monster Tower offer this style as well which could be a better solution for my situation. Agree with you regarding the reinforced areas of the small 19ft Yamahas.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thank you folks and I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. I may also consider the old style (AR192) tower which is fastened in more points that the forward facing style. Monster Tower offer this style as well which could be a better solution for my situation. Agree with you regarding the reinforced areas of the small 19ft Yamahas.
I would stick with a forward swept one that mount similar to the new boats. I’m assuming over the years they have perfected the proper spot to put this, that minimizes issues. I know I had looked at some older 212x boats and they had spider cracking around the forward mounts.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would stick with a forward swept one that mount similar to the new boats. I’m assuming over the years they have perfected the proper spot to put this, that minimizes issues. I know I had looked at some older 212x boats and they had spider cracking around the forward mounts.
The more I investigated it I have to agree with you. The hull is the same as the AR195 and there are reinforcements already in place that I can use. My next step is to quote Monster Tower MTK (which even though the looks is still growing on me, however, it's a tower designed for wakeboarding and this is the main reason I need a tower, for light use, not professional wakeboarding). I will also quote the Yamaha factory tower. Appreciate the feedback.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The more I investigated it I have to agree with you. The hull is the same as the AR195 and there are reinforcements already in place that I can use. My next step is to quote Monster Tower MTK (which even though the looks is still growing on me, however, it's a tower designed for wakeboarding and this is the main reason I need a tower, for light use, not professional wakeboarding). I will also quote the Yamaha factory tower. Appreciate the feedback.
Absolutely - go with the factory reinforcements for mount sites, no question about it.

Factory towers are massively overpriced, but would be a sure thing. You can not buy OEM towers aftermarket, the manufacturer does not sell them to the public, and the "similar" models have different specs, on purpose - they have different IOD etc., so the OEM racks will not fit, etc.
Sometimes those things come up on sites like co-part (?), boats that are parted out, those are the best deals if you could find one.

I would ask @PaulyB for help, he is well connected.

--

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Sugarcharged ... I was going to suggest buying an OEM tower from the Yamaha supplier but if they won't retail what about taking pictures and dimensions to a fabricator and then having it built then taking it to a shop to have it powder coated or two part epoxied? I have had marine exhaust headers and through hulls fabricated a number of times and those prices were cheaper that retail a lot of the time. :cool:

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sugarcharged ... I was going to suggest buying an OEM tower from the Yamaha supplier but if they won't retail what about taking pictures and dimensions to a fabricator and then having it built then taking it to a shop to have it powder coated or two part epoxied? I have had marine exhaust headers and through hulls fabricated a number of times and those prices were cheaper that retail a lot of the time. :cool:
I understand your comment and suggestion and respect that but I would not feel comfortable pulling my kids on it, just for piece of mind. I probably will go with Monster Tower knowing they have built probably thousands of those and put some engineering behind it. Probably a very good fabricator could build something even stronger but I just don't feel I could trust it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand your comment and suggestion and respect that but I would not feel comfortable pulling my kids on it, just for piece of mind. I probably will go with Monster Tower knowing they have built probably thousands of those and put some engineering behind it. Probably a very good fabricator could build something even stronger but I just don't feel I could trust it.
I think you overestimate Monster Towers, and underestimate your local fab shop. I would honestly trust a local fab shop over Monster.

I've had my tower off and have a ton of pictures of it apart if you want to reverse engineer it you're welcome to come down and have a look anytime. I'm in the Louisville Area.

Photos are here

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Sugarcharged ..... with respect local fabricators I have used took more care, in many cases than mass produced products. I would be far more worried that an aftermarket tower did not match the manufacturer's anchor points on your hull. The beauty of having it fabricated locally is that you could get specific attachment points made for speakers, board racks bimini top etc. Any professional welder versed in aluminum etc. can easily weld you a tower just as strong as the OEM or aftermarket product. :cool:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would confirm that the hull already has reinforcements in place, my SX210 did not have any reinforcements in place from the factory, I had to add my own when I added my tower.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would confirm that the hull already has reinforcements in place, my SX210 did not have any reinforcements in place from the factory, I had to add my own when I added my tower.
Any way you can tell before drilling into it? I have an sx210 as well and have thought about adding.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any way you can tell before drilling into it? I have an sx210 as well and have thought about adding.
You should see where the factory fiberglassed a piece of marine plywood where the factory tower mounts. I have some tips to make your life easier if you do decide to add a tower.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
o
When I made this comment I was still thinking of my 2012 SX190 with the traditional tower straddling the cockpit with two legs on each side, and the factory enforcements where obvious under the hull.
Looking at my 2016 AR240 with forward swept tower, I don't know if any "reinforcements" are actually applied; rather the tower is mounted on top of already reinforced hull cap, which I'm fairly certain is the same in SX and AR models of my boat's vintage.

Either way, the key is to mount on top of the hull cap, which is reinforced and extremely ridgid, at least as compared to the sides of the gunnels.

--