• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Looking for under water shim material

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I need a 4.75" x 2.5" or larger shim for an underwater LED. It needs to slope 10 to 15 degrees across the 2,5 direction and be made of material that will not be harmed by constant water exposure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Use plastic lumber, Starboard or a cutting board(s). Cut it out the use a belt sander to shave the slope.

I have sloped this material by putting the belt sander upside down in a vise and gradually shaving the slope. Sometimes I'll screw a small chunk of material to the top side in order to hold and control the piece.

Go to Home depot and get some free samples of Azek. It's solid PVC so water won't be a factor.. I did this in the spring for a project I was working on.

x2 on the belt sander. Cam.

I used a piece of PVC house trim that I got at Lowe's for my shims. Cut it on a table saw and fine tuned it on a belt sander.

I used a piece of PVC house trim that I got at Lowe's for my shims. Cut it on a table saw and fine tuned it on a belt sander.

That is a good idea. I can run a piece of pvc 1x4 through the table saw with the blade at an angle.

This may have to wait until after Bimini.

That is a good idea. I can run a piece of pvc 1x4 through the table saw with the blade at an angle.

This may have to wait until after Bimini.
You can checkout my work in Bimini and see if you like it.

Ha ha...were turning boaters into woodworkers here! Well, plastic workers at least! Skills...once earned, can be applied for a lifetime! Nice work gentlemen!

Some of this specialty plastic and acrylic is pricy!

King Starboard is HDPE.

Back