• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Wet Slip in Salt Water for a week - Long Beach CA

@Nightmare When i was doing research for wave height/period on the Gulf, and how to interpret that, I found several posts saying that you divide the period by the height. 3:1 or better and it's a pretty smooth day 4:1 or better and it's pretty smooth.

We took our 190 out in 2ft waves at 6sec period.....it was choppy, but not absurd. Did a shade over 30mi on the water one way.

The worst you have there is about a 5:1 on Sat and Sun morning. As best I can tell, it should be relatively smooth those days. Someone with more ocean knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong.

I’ve lived in SoCal all my life. Your trip from LB to NP will be super easy. Sounds like you’re well prepared. We do trips to Catalina in our 212SE all the time. Just leave early if you can so you can open her up and enjoy :)

@Inlikeflinn may have some insight on docking in long beach.

as for doing a day trip to catalina, I would follow these guys. They can’t stop you and may even welcome the company of a boat. They leave at 7:30 and are back by 3:30.

Jetski2Catalina.com - tour operator, jetski from long beach to catalina tour dolphins snorkeling, outdoor adventure ocean tours whale watching
View attachment 157105
I don’t do much docking in Long Beach other than one or two of the restaurants that have courtesy docks but they go quick. LB to Newport can be done on a calm day but hugging the coast can get you a lot of sidelined waves. Best to head out in slight angle then come pack in at slight angle zig zagging down the coast. Make sure to come back to LB before the afternoon winds that start around 3. We usually go from Long Beach harbor along the beach down to rainbow harbor in Long Beach also. Some decent distance between the two locations and all behind the rock water break. In regards to Catalina, I wouldn’t do unless I had twins or a kicker motor and at least 23ft boat that was deeper v and more freeboard than our Yamahas.

That rock barrier makes a huge difference and makes cruising around very easy. There's a ton of Yamahas making the trip across to Catalina - (the San Diego dealer organizes a trip every year from Dana Point -which is a 38 mile trip!).
I personally plan to to do 2 harbors on Catalina for an overnight camping trip - but yes, leave early in the morning and get done before 1-2pm. Meanwhile, once i get my new galvanized trailer - I'll be launching out of Seal Beach and cruising up to Long beach later next month and will give you a status update. (used to launch out of Dana Point when they had a Boat Hoist -which they took down 2 years ago - so that stopped until I ordered a new replacement galvanized trailer as I wasn't going to dip my painted trailer into the ocean water).

BTW - anyone have idea what a well maintained painted shorelander 24 foot trailer sell for?

I'm happy the 2011 came with a galvanized trailer.

The first boat we almost purchased had a painted trailer. I guess the mid 2000s trailers had a design defect. No drain holes in the cross members. Water would seep in past the screw holes and just sit there. That guy's trailer looked pretty bad in the photos. You could see rust stains on the wheel wells. He sent me this photo of the underside.
Rust1.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly - that's why I never put my painted trailer in the saltwater. I live 7 miles from the beach and it kills me not to be able to put the boat in the water when I'm not on a lake. That all changes next month - I ordered a really nice galvanized custom trailer from Pacific Trailers. Can't wait!

So almost done prepping for the trip. I ran into a couple of problems, but everything looks good at this point.

I purchased a Standard Horizon HX890 and got the MMSI Number registered.

I purchased an LED flare for the Night-Time Signal and it came with the Orange Day Time flag. It seems ok for $70, but I wish I could select between SOS and Solid light.

I picked up 2 Unimer U-Cleat snubbers:

I picked up a couple of Flex Seal Tape patches

I got 2 corks from Lowes for the Yamaha Patented bow hole. I also moved the anchor to a rear compartment in case I hit any big waves.

IMG_0264.jpgIMG_0265.jpg

And I finally decided to see how much water it takes for the Bilge Pump to kick on. It turns out it takes a LOT! Especially when the Bilge Pump won't turn on. Turns out my switch is supposed to light up even when the pump isn't running. So I guess it hasn't worked since I bought the boat.
I tracked the problem back to the Bilge Switch Breaker. It is popped and won't reset. I pulled the breaker and installed an Automotive 3A fuse. The light works and the pump works.

A couple of hours after I removed the Breaker I noticed that it will now 'reset'. I think it's a worn-out breaker and high temperatures don't help.

IMG_0274.jpg

I think it took me more time to wrap up the Bimini Top than it does to put on the Mooring Cover. That top and frame is a garbage design.

So far I have been running in the lakes with all of the interior drain plugs closed. Should all 3 of these be open in conditions that could have water over the bow? Or will it all still drain to the back with all 3 closed?

IMG_0266.jpgIMG_0268.jpg

Thanks

The one in the ski locker should be open so water can drain back to the bilge same for the plug in the engine compartment that is vertical (left on your picture). The one one the bottom (right on your picture) keep closed - drains out of the boat (i only open it when on the trailer)

Three Days on the water and everything is going fine. The wall really helps protect tie up location
48A074A8-1271-4FD1-8AF7-A2D3DA22D4B6.jpeg

Yesterday we went down to Newport. Nice ride on the way down, but pretty choppy on the way back. No waves over the bow, but I got sprayed about 5 times.

Dolphins in the water both ways. They were playing in the wake ?
297D7995-F416-409E-A72D-0B68F779D248.jpeg

Fun day on the water. Much less chop than Wednesday. We went through some of the Long Beach Port.

I got to call my first bridge
482566B4-27C5-43FF-B21C-32AE25251D1E.jpeg
The Sea Lions were hanging out on the bow of this ship
CEA8B3EF-3621-47C6-B189-907972FF962B.jpeg
The container ships are just crazy big
739EC265-64C6-44E8-BBD8-71D0756426B6.jpeg
Went past the USS Iowa Battleship
C69314AD-196F-476E-8D35-015C17AE9C8F.jpeg
And when we got back to the dock, someone is parked in my spot. Of course the office is closed. And no one seems to know what to do about it. So I tied up in between A and B. It should be fine as long as there isn’t a BIG boat that needs A.
676A834C-9C0C-447A-82B4-3DDD71F3DB0D.jpeg

Attachments

• 92A241D8-4DC6-43E3-A235-5EF13B7641F2.jpeg
    92A241D8-4DC6-43E3-A235-5EF13B7641F2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
Back