• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for wakeboard gear for my family

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi,

I don't know a thing about wakeboarding so I'm looking for some advice. I'm just looking for a decent gear that beginner could easily use and still could use as they transition into intermediate level.

I'm looking for 2 boards, 1 for adult (120lb & 160lbs) and another for my kids ages 11 & 12 (~100lbs but growing fast). I was looking at below boards on Amazon but could tell if they are good or bad.

Adult
http://www.amazon.com/Hyperlite-State-Wakeboard-Remix-Bindings/dp/B00J6WVTM6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_468_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GTGNZ2CDEP5NQM1RZYQ

Kids
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FMFPZDK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UV7KP6RF443Q

I was also thinking about getting a tube for kids and their friends. Anyone have these and do your kids enjoy it?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I3CO5M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Do you think these could fit the bill?

Thank you in advance.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Costco carries some good starter wakeboards. We have one and it seems to be the only one that gets used. Cam.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Hyperlite State is a good,solid board. I started with a really basic board, then quickly had to upgrade, getting something like the State will prevent that and save some money in the long run.

Look at ropes with adjustable lengths, as you progress, you'll want to take line length and speed into account. Also, start slow, you should be able to pull a rider at 16 mph, depending on size.

Also check out evo.com and boardco.com.

Have fun.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and placed order for all of the gear I had in my cart.

I went with below for wakeboard rope. It was much more expensive than other ropes but this one seems to be specifically designed for wakeboarding.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OF926E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02

I also purchased below for knee boarding and tubing.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YI9RG92?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FE5PCY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02

Just wish one rope could serve all purposes but I got the impression that wasn't the case.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kneeboarding and wake boarding will use the same rope with a handle.

Tubing, you'll want a rope built for that purpose, so you should be set to start out and have fun.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the clarification. From information I read it sounded like you want some stretching on kneeboard but no-stretching on wakeboard. I may need to see if I can return the one I bought for kneeboarding.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those are good prices on the ropes, may as well keep the kneeboard rope. I use my wakeboard rope on the kneeboard and I'm not sure it makes a difference. It's always good to have a second handle anyway and who knows, you may want to ride double.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's good point but had I known I would have opt'd to just have the wakeboard one. It would be less clutter in the boat as well. Thanks for the information & advices. I appreciate it.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have that wakeboard rope and IMHO it's a great rope for the $. I'd also recommend always having a second rope on hand if you're planning on board sports. Ropes can have a tendency to get "sucked up" in the pumps sometimes. It can end a day of fun if you don't have a backup on hand.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@itsdgm Thank you for your input. If the rope gets sucked up in the pumps doesn't that damage the engine?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm Thank you for your input. If the rope gets sucked up in the pumps doesn't that damage the engine?
Not in my experiences. Usually the rope gets sucked up while the boats circling back to the downed rider or while at idle speeds waiting for the "hit it". So the rope has grabbed hold of the shaft and brought the engine to a gentle stop. But results may vary ;)

I used to want ropes that had cool colors that I liked. But often those colors were hard to see in the water. I bought that Airhead lime green rope just because I knew that it would be hard not to see it in the water. IMHO, the uglier the rope color, the better. For visibility that is.