• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Looking into a Box Anchor.

You kind of run a risk using a carabiner in place of a anchor shackle. That is exactly how I lost my first Slide Box Anchor!!! I used the carbiner to make hookup easy since it didn't fit in my anchor locker. And low and behold, it got caught on the rope somehow and the rope popped it off the anchor....and straight down into Davy Jones locker it went...without the line! Any boating manual, sail or power, would say a shackle is a must on an anchor. But it sure is more convenient with the carabiner.

I dont use the caribiner on the anchor, but rather when tied off to the shore with the spike. When using the anchor, it gets tied to bow eye, as well as a cleat in case it comes untied from there... Anchor end is shackled.

They don't make a medium. The have the baby, which is rated for a PWC, the small which is rated for our boats, the large which is rated for up to 40' boats, and the extra large. No mediums. From their website...
Box Anchor Sizes
The Box Anchor is designed to work with almost any boat size, from personal watercrafts to houseboats and most everything in between.

Baby Box Anchor: Personal watercraft
Small Box Anchor: Offshore / Sport 18' to 30', cabin cruiser to 24'
Large Box Anchor: Offshore / Sport to 40', cabin cruiser to 32'
X-Large Box Anchor: House boats, cruisers longer than 32'
I wonder why they stopped making the mediums? But you're right, they don't list them for sale anymore. I'd say the small one is plenty good anyway.

I got that from what you posted @ratchetdu . I went to look at the pic and saw that carabiner on jaws anchor. I used a carabiner on my bow eye bolt too sometimes as well as on the shore line.

I don't think they have ever made a medium Dennis. Ryan has only made 4 sizes. But maybe he changed his nomenclature at some point and no longer calls one a medium. In the 5 years I have messed with them, never had a "medium" by name.

I don't think they have ever made a medium Dennis. Ryan has only made 4 sizes. But maybe he changed his nomenclature at some point and no longer calls one a medium. In the 5 years I have messed with them, never had a "medium" by name.
I agree. I think its always been "baby", "small", "large", and "Xtra-Large". No medium.

Even though they list the "baby" box is for PWC's, it fits in my anchor locker without having to fold it and that's what I use most of the time. I also carry a folded "small" box under the seat for those few times when the "baby" is not quite enough (not very often). Like @Detonate said, if its ever gets so windy that the "small" is not holding, then I don't want to be on the lake :)

You kind of run a risk using a carabiner in place of a anchor shackle. That is exactly how I lost my first Slide Box Anchor!!! I used the carbiner to make hookup easy since it didn't fit in my anchor locker. And low and behold, it got caught on the rope somehow and the rope popped it off the anchor....and straight down into Davy Jones locker it went...without the line! Any boating manual, sail or power, would say a shackle is a must on an anchor. But it sure is more convenient with the carabiner.
Ironically, the same thing happened to me. I don't know how its possible, but it happened. Since I carry two different anchors I still like the idea of a carabiner to quickly change anchors. So now I use a LOCKING carabiner like this...
petzl_ok_biner_09.jpg

Also using 2 carabiners with the openings in opposite direction will work well....

Hey! I see you have one of the Nite eyes caribiners attached to your set up. I have a couple of those and the best $5 spent. Tying off the bow eye to the shore spike is a breeze with that thing and holds all day.

Good catch. I love that for tying to the boat. Easier to use then the danik hook since it doesn't require line to be fed through it.

@maboat i like that locking clip. I use two anchors and alternate which end they go off depending on if we want shore spike and bow out or stern out from shore. I know I run a risk with current setup. Double opposite is a good idea too but could be a little clumsy.

Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Double opposite is a good idea too but could be a little clumsy.
It's actually a pretty common technique we use for setting up climbing ropes.
gforum.cgi

Easy to setup, and you have a backup! :D

My concern with the screw locks is that being in the water and mud/dirt, they may have a tendency to jam up.

Last edited:
I keep losing anchors in the sunken brush in the cove out behind Mills Creek on Texoma, so I hate to invest in a good box anchor, maybe I'll get one and only use it in cleaner lakes.

Yeah, that stinks. I would save my box if I know there is brush down there. I'm not familiar with that part of Texoma. I thought is was pretty much all sand on the bottom (where box works great!)

Hey @Detonate do you remember that time you dove down to unsnag my anchor which was wrapped around a submerged tree?
OverHere.gif
(Lake Whitney).

I agree. I think its always been "baby", "small", "large", and "Xtra-Large". No medium.

Even though they list the "baby" box is for PWC's, it fits in my anchor locker without having to fold it and that's what I use most of the time. I also carry a folded "small" box under the seat for those few times when the "baby" is not quite enough (not very often). Like @Detonate said, if its ever gets so windy that the "small" is not holding, then I don't want to be on the lake :)
Hey @maboat , do you remember the time we were floating up in the cove on RR, having a brew while floating behind the boats, all rafted together, and your baby box was holding us?:eek: I thought I had too much to drink...when I saw that boat go by! That might have been the time to use either your small under the seat or my txav8r anchor, same as a small almost:winkingthumbsup"

Hey @maboat , do you remember the time we were floating up in the cove on RR, having a brew while floating behind the boats, all rafted together, and your baby box was holding us?:eek: I thought I had too much to drink...when I saw that boat go by! That might have been the time to use either your small under the seat or my txav8r anchor, same as a small almost:winkingthumbsup"
Indeed I do!

Later, you can teach me how you got that video on there! I am struggling with my new iMac just a tad and way behind what I could do on a PC! That was a great evening among friends!

Back