• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking to buy my first boat

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I'm looking to by my first boat. I just recently sold 2 jet skis (well, one jet-ski-2002 Kawasaki 1100Zxi, and one waverunner-1997 Yamaha GP1200, both 2 strokes). I'm currently looking at two options. One is a two owner 2007 Yamaha AR230 HO with roughly 400 hours on it and they are asking $17,000 for it. The other is a one owner 2011 Seadoo Challenger 180 with roughly 70 hours on it and they are asking $15,000. I know nothing about jet boats, besides the fact that they are essentially big jet skis. Can you all help me out as far as which boat might be better or which one might be the better value. I do know that the supercharger on the Seadoo has not been rebuilt yet. As far as I can tell they have both been fairly well cared for. Dry docked/Trailered when not in use. The Yamaha has been run exclusively in salt water and the current owner says he's flushed it and washed it after every use. The Seadoo has been used almost exclusively in freshwater (3 times in brackish water). Like I said, I'm brand new to this scene so I'm not even really sure of all the things I should be looking for or questions I should be asking, so I need a lot of advice. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me out.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was in a similar position and went for the Yamaha. It's More boat. Check them both out anyway.

Rdavis0207

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depends alot on what ur doing with them. I've been on both. The seadoo blew an seal or gasket during my rental so wasnt a true run but it was very small and we only had 4 ppl on board. I love my sx230 much more room and much bigger to handle the waves of the bay. Can't compare the power because seadoo wouldn't power up. My 230 has great power and the engines and constantly referred to as bulletproof. The 17k sounds pretty cheap due to where the used market is right now. Do a test run with both and see how they feel but I'd be surprised if the 2grand difference was enough to steer you away from the bigger yammy. Make sure you inspect the trailer, get service records if available

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone know the difference between the AR230 and the SR230 (same model year: 2007)

Rdavis0207

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Should just be the the tower on the ar

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone know the difference between the AR230 and the SR230 (same model year: 2007)
dwilkins69
Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:49 pm
2012 Contributor

Basically because the items that were options on the sr are now standard on the sx(bimini top, berber carpet, depth sounder, filler cushins, stereo transom remote). There is another detail I found out about. With the sr u could only put both buckets in forward or reverse. With the sx you can have one in forward and one in reverse giving you more control over the boat. Also, don't forget about the spiffy new paintjob.
Found this on YJB, however it applies to 2004.

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just came across a 2012 SX190 with 83 hours. Guy's asking $20,000 for it. Obviously a lot goes into pricing and value, but does that sound reasonable (if the boat operates as it should and comes with what it's supposed to)?

Rdavis0207

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Current market id say so as long as it's in good shape and runs well. Obviously try to get the price down. I'd have it taken to a shop after the test run to have it all checked out and be sure to inspect the trailer

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Current market id say so as long as it's in good shape and runs well. Obviously try to get the price down. I'd have it taken to a shop after the test run to have it all checked out and be sure to inspect the trailer
Is it common for sellers to deny a water test without the buyer having cash in hand? Or should I take that a red flag?

Last edited:

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is it common for sellers to deny a water test without the buyer having cash in hand?
In my opinion it's not uncommon. When I sold my last boat I was only giving tests to serious buyers, and a seller knows you're serious if you have the money ready to go. If you are buying, the water test should be the last thing you do. A price should be agreed upon and you know you want the boat, on the water and making sure it runs how it should is the last step.

No seller wants to go through all the effort only for you to afterwards say, "eh I like it now let me see if I can get the money together for it."

IndySX190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have some limited experience but I rely on the experience of some good friends. Yamaha seems to be the boat equivalent of Toyota for cars. They just seem to go forever with only regular maintenance. I'm sold on their quality.

As for a water test, I wouldn't want to take every tire kicker out on the water. It would be to confirm a deal that's pretty much done.

Good luck!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Is it common for sellers to deny a water test without the buyer having cash in hand? Or should I take that a red flag?
As the others mentioned, you can take it either way. We talked to a seller who had what sounded like a good deal until he waffled on a water test. When I pressed him on it being a requirement with cash in hand or no deal, he then stated he had another buying coming tomorrow to buy it sight unseen. That was a big red flag as he sounded like a used car salesman.

Not saying anything is wrong, but just watch for red flags. If the boat is good, he'll be happy to take you out for a 5 min spin to prove it.