• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking to buy used trailer for 2015 242 Limited S -- looking for opinions on this grand idea

Laminar Flow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought my 2015 Limited S used without a trailer and I need to pull it out of the water and bring it to the dealer for service -- sucked up a huge plastic tarp into my port engine and it's really, really tightly wrapped around the impeller.

Not crazy about spending $3,000 on a new trailer since my only usage would be for maintenance at the dealer 22 miles away and for storage over the winter -- this one is available nearby on Craigslist, assuming it were to be mechanically sound, would it fit a 24' Limited S do you think?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
where do you boat?
is your boat normally in the water, wet slip or on a lift ?

who does your normal maintenance? If you're at a marina I'm surprised they don't have a "loaner" to use,

You could probably get the tarp out yourself buy just pulling the pumps off the back and pulling the impeller out, about a 20 minute job,
you could even pull the impellers if the boat were on a lift if you had a john boat to sit in,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
we'd also like pictures of the tarp in the jet, :oops:

Laminar Flow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The woman selling the trailer has no idea on the details, really. She says a 21' Boston Whaler was on it most recently, so I'm inclined to just bite the bullet and buy a new trailer at this point.

I'm in Washington, DC -- the boat is in a wet slip at James Creek Marina, which doesn't have much in the way of services -- no maintenance, no lift, no ramp, and consequently, no trailers on site for anyone, so no loaners.

I just got the boat on July 4th weekend, so no maintenance has been required yet, this has been my first issue. The closest dealer is Holly Acres Marine & RV about 22 miles south of DC in Woodbridge, VA.

I called them today and it sounds like they'd charge about $600 roundtrip just to come pick up the boat for service with one of their trailers and bring it back for service, then return it to the water, so looking to avoid that -- since I'll need a trailer for winter storage anyway.

I've pulled out most of the "easy" part of the tarp to reach, but there's still a good bit tightly wound around the impeller shaft towards the "front" of the cleanout port that I'm just not able to get.

The attached photo shows how much I've pulled out so far, but I don't have any photos inside the cleanout.

My other issue is that whatever happened in this incident (again, I wasn't on the boat when it happened) the starboard engine is also throwing a check engine warning -- although it pees fine, doesn't list an overtemp warning in the detailed diagnostics screen, etc. so I want the dealer to look at that too.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where are you located ?
That trailer is not made for our Yamaha JetBoat.
If I were to spend $3k I will buy an aluminum trailer.

Laminar Flow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm in Washington, DC.

My "new" option is this trailer for $2,810:

Laminar Flow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
These are the more detailed specs on this particular trailer:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would get a dive mask and steak knife and cut that thing out

Laminar Flow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I thought that would solve it, I sure would. But the Potomac/Anacostia are gross and I don't have a dive mask and that wouldn't solve the check engine light on the other engine so I think I gotta get this thing out of the water and over to the dealer.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Talk to your local dealer and any in a drivable distance. They often have trailers for people that keep theirs on slip.

I got a brand new painted trailer for $1200. I could have got an aluminum for $1500 but would have had to wait a few weeks.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, post on your local FB groups. My neighbor was able to rent a trailer for a week.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I bought a trailer at Dave’s about 10 years ago and they were the cheapest around I could find. Used trailers that are worthwhile are hard to find around here. It seems like your best bet is to buy a new trailer because it is very likely you’ll need it many times over the ownership of the boat. It will also help with resale when you go to sell the boat.

You can also probably pull the pump and get that tarp off yourself if you buy the trailer and have plenty of time to get it removed. You’d also save some dealer fees and just take it in for the overheat issue on the other engine.

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bronze_10 can hook you up. He helped me find mine for less than $3,500. See below for trailer

Laminar Flow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought a trailer at Dave’s about 10 years ago and they were the cheapest around I could find. Used trailers that are worthwhile are hard to find around it. It seems like your best bet is to buy a new trailer because it is very likely you’ll need it many times over the ownership. It will also help with resale when you go to sell the boat.

You can also probably pull the pump and get that tarp off yourself if you buy the trailer and have enough time. You’d also save some dealer fees and just take it in for the overheat issue on the other engine.
I think that's all good advice in your post -- finding the right used trailer is a pain -- and then it's used and will need some maintenance etc. at some point down the road. I hope to keep this boat for at least two seasons, which means two winters of storage on the trailer, and who knows how many hauls out to do maintenance like this I'm not expecting. So I need a trailer and might as well get a good one that will help with eventual resale. I got a good deal on the bare boat itself, paid just $35,500 for a 2015 242 Limited S so there's room to add accessories like a nice trailer.

I am a reasonably mechanically inclined person but i don't have any tools for the pulling of the impeller -- but happy to learn as I imagine it will happen again. I know there are plenty of threads on here explaining how. For this first time, and because of the other engine issue, I may let the dealer handle it, then sort of learn as I go along from there...

Welcome to any and all other thoughts/advice/warnings from the peanut gallery! Right now, I'm going to wake up tomorrow and probably go get the trailer and go from there...thank you all!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It's not hard to pull the pump so I would at least give it a shot. Removing that really shouldn't require dealer intervention. I'm with you on the other overheat issue though, probably best to have them fix it so you can use it.

Laminar Flow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
update here: bought the $2800 trailer and got it to the dealer today in one piece, so we'll see what they say...

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You might to give to “love” to your hull when the dealer is all done.....

GaryW

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Does that trailer fit your boat well? What model trailer is that, im looking everywhere for a trailer for my 2010 242 limited, thanks