• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost Guage Function - 2014 SX190

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Started with the Speedo working intermittently, ultimately stopped completely (speedo wheel appears to be in good working order). Next trip out (speedo still not working) the tach guage started cutting in an out and by the end of the trip both gauges are non functioning. The boat seems to perform just fine, starts, idles, acceleration all appear to be non affected. Battery terminals are not corroded and are tight. I am about to start taking the dash apart and unplug the gauges and check for loose connections. It appears easier to take dash apart than crawling my big butt under the cushion.
I have heard that this was a common issue with Yammies but to my surprise i have not found anybody else mentioning it on this forum.
Suggestions? Causes? Fixes?

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am just starting to learn about marine electronics, so take what I say with a grain of salt :)

Would it be easy for you to check that the gauges are getting power? maybe a fairly inexpensive digital multimeter? If it is getting power, I am not sure how the gauges work, where are the sensors and how are they connected to the gauge.

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i am new to the boating world and i am in no way a mechanic. However, I enjoy wrenching and repair my own vehicles but that doesn't keep me from being ignorant. :) Because the issue is intermittent i am thinking it's electrical issue. Either a bad connection or worse case (hope not) some sort of brain or digital sending unit failure.
My thought process is - Step One: check all connections. Step Two: Open Beer and check forums how to perform a Master Reset on gauges. Step Three: Open Another Beer and check this post to see if anybody has responded with fix.

:) i really don't drink that much beer but having basic items not working properly on a 2014 boat is a little frustrating and makes me want to drink!

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an issue with my starboard tach also. The LCD screen that shows depth/volts/temp/fuel randomly works. You can see the backlight come on when I start it but it doesn't display anything. Once it finally comes on, it works the rest of the day. I talked to my dealership about it over the winter and told them it had done it since the summer of '15 (bought it June '14). Only had 35 hrs on it before the start of this summer. They said I was over my year warranty so I was SOL, but that they could order me a new one. Not much help....

Kind of disappointing...

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
HINT:
Fiberglass in the arm is not cool.The back cushion to the bow seat comes over very easily and allows access to rear of gauges.
UPDATE:
I disconnected ground side battery cable, took dash apart and pulled gauges out, (not much slack in wiring), all gauges appeared to be connected properly, disconnected and reconnected all gauges, put ground back on battery, turned motor over and NOTHING, no gauges.

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you check the fuse box? Maybe a faulty fuse?

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
looking through the manual i found one fuse box... mounted on transom... i checked all fuses there, i checked the accessory fuse but battery master shut off switch. I am kinda ruling out a bad TACH and/or bad SPEEDO because they of course are two separate devices. It has to be some sort of master sending unit.

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anybody have a wiring harness diagram? I don't believe i am getting power to gauge. I think i have a ground fault on the 30amp fuse... Anybody know what that fuse is for?