• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost key

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We are at a tented house this weekend. I somehow lost the only key. It was on the float in my pocket and when I pulled out the float, the chain had broke and key was gone. Looked everywhere. Kicking myself because I just read the post about copying keys. I did take the 3 digit code.

I have push button start on the e-series. Is there a way to close the loop on the ignition so I don't need a key? I see 4 wires out of the ignition.

Going to call locksmith first since I did get the three digit code on the key. But if he cannot help, can I essentially hotwire?

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just find a local Yamaha marine service. Doesn’t matter if it’s only outboard service. They usually have all the key codes in stock or can get one overnight.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. That's one of the options but trying to salvage the holiday weekend.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha dealer said it would be a week. Not able to get it overnight.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha dealer said it would be a week. Not able to get it overnight.
Do you have a second at the house someone could copy and overnight? If you bought new call the dealer that sold you the boat see if they could overnight one.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought keys in an emergency from Marine Specialties in New Smyrna. I’m not talking about going to a Yamaha boat dealer. They don’t usually carry keys. Go to an outboard repair service center. They have all the keys. Yamaha outboards use the same number system as our boats.

0FD4EFA7-D826-4B76-ADD8-0D8456143B92.png

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where are you? Maybe someone local from here has the same key#. Or at least we can help you find one.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm good now. My dealer is lending me one from his master set and I'll order 2.

fitzgemman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If you are worried that someone might find your lost key and use it to steal your car, you will have to drive the vehicle to the dealer, who will erase the missing key chip from the car's memory. In this case, you won't be able to start the vehicle with the lost key. Is it possible to turn to private firms because making duplicate keys takes a long time at the "official" sites? May it be tempting to make a remote key replacement? Private firms like Grand Prairie - My Local Locksmith can pick up the code and make a duplicate key, and they usually do it much faster than the official dealer costs much cheaper.

Last edited: