• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost Keys -easy solution?

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So at one point between the boat ramp and home my wife ended up removing the keys from the ignition for some reason I personally have always left them in unless we are docked overnight. Regardless the key probably flew away (with my amazing jetboaters.net floater on it) or blew out of the boat and I’m wondering since I have no other keys is there a site that offers replacement keys? How do I know which one is correct for me or would it just be easier to call the dealer?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There is a number on my keys and I've found replacements all over, particularly eBay. If you don't have the key that doesn't help but it might be labeled on the ignition somewhere.

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a number on my keys and I've found replacements all over, particularly eBay. If you don't have the key that doesn't help but it might be labeled on the ignition somewhere.
It’s on the ignition. Remove the rubber over it. Loosen the nut holding it to dash and look for number on the silver.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There's a thread in the FAQ regarding this and how to do what @WilCo is suggesting.

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I appreciate the help I think I’m getting closer I don’t see a rubber cover behind the helm 391D2AFC-81F4-4146-802F-6BCB48277853.jpeganywhere I did snap a pic I can read a few numbers on the ignition panel itself but I’m not sure what three numbers I am looking for?

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just recently ordered a spare set just in case something like this happens. Glad you had the paperwork!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I appreciate the help I think I’m getting closer I don’t see a rubber cover behind the helm anywhere I did snap a pic I can read a few numbers on the ignition panel itself but I’m not sure what three numbers I am looking for?
Glad you had it written down, for future reference I think he meant take the rubber boot/nut off the front of the key switch and that will allow you to remove the back portion behind the helm and read the key number,

marmstufl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Make sure your keys are attached to a solid key ring. Few months ago I docked my boat.. as I was putting my keys in my pocket the ring broke mid step and I kicked one keys in the water. Thank God I was able to catch the other one.

Limped home on one engine and learned a value lesson on key ring maintenance and having spares. :D

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Make sure your keys are attached to a solid key ring. Few months ago I docked my boat.. as I was putting my keys in my pocket the ring broke mid step and I kicked one keys in the water. Thank God I was able to catch the other one.

Limped home on one engine and learned a value lesson on key ring maintenance and having spares. :D
That's good advice actually. Was yours a beaded chain?

marmstufl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah, it was a beaded chain.. a very old one. Honestly it was my fault for being lazy about it. I was cursing the heavens when it happened, like "I cannot believe out of all the things on this boat to go wrong... the frigging key chain..."

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, it was a beaded chain.. a very old one. Honestly it was my fault for being lazy about it. I was cursing the heavens when it happened, like "I cannot believe out of all the things on this boat to go wrong... the frigging key chain..."
Mine are on one of those. Time to switch over to a solid ring. Thanks!

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Here’s a good solid ring I found on Amazon they are big which I don’t mind harder to lose.

Once I found the number in my paperwork I proceeded to order six keys should never have a problem again .

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A good specialized locksmith can make a copy of a key for less that $5. Late for the OP, but a good reminder that they are harder to replace once lost. Don't wait until then to get copies made. I keep a set hidden on the boat (won't tell you where :) ) in case I need them. Cheap insurance that has already saved a few trips.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I keep a spare on my household keyring, and a spare in the tow vehicle. That way the fastest I have to go is back to the truck.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yep! I have a set hidden in the boat too in case I lose them on the water somehow.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, two weekends ago our car keys fell in the Marina... The bottom is about 7ft deep, the water is murky, and the bottom soft mud. After trying with a net for a long time we gave up and tried later with a big pick up magnet from home Depot and we were able to find them. It took a long time, I thought they were gone.

No lesson here, floats are too big for those keys. We got lucky. Just don't drop them and everything will be ok.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well duh, Found this in the paperwork awesome I’m glad I kept looking if anyone ever wants to steal my boat here’s the number
What mods do you have on the boat? When's the next time you're taking your wife to dinner?

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What mods do you have on the boat? When's the next time you're taking your wife to dinner?
Ha! Right now just seadek, an onboard tender and a Stoltz roller, only 20 hours though!