• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost power to one engine.

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
So while we were out on the water yesterday we were on our way back running about 40 when I lost all RPMS on the port engine. Put it in idle right away and shut it down. Prior to that I felt like the engine sounded off but nothing specific. Just running rough. No engine codes just immediate loss of power.
Did not try to restart it limped home on one engine. Haven’t pulled plugs yet. Impeller is clear. Minor marks on wear ring but nothing major. (We had a small stick stick last season)
Have a friend coming over later who is a seadoo mechanic but just wanted to brain storm on what it could be.

Attachments

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would suggest pulling the pumps. Might be something in there that you can’t see. I’ve mentioned in other threads that I believe the splines get out of sync somehow. Just pulling the plugs and inserting the shaft again sometimes takes care of it all.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Your threat title says you lost power but you go on to say you had no rpm’s. Did you lose power? That’s a different thing.

Just in case you haven’t pulled them before, here’s a video.

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
RPMS dropped all of a sudden to 0 in that one engine. I killed it right away. Super charger is locked up. Plugs are fine. Season is done. It’s under warranty but only for another month and local shop can’t get us in until end of July. Hopefully it didn’t break apart and it’s a complete engine rebuild. I shut it down pretty quick so fingers crossed. Sure wished it would have been the plugs.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hang in there. Someone is going to chime in with a solution. The season just started!

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Thank you for the positivity. Just frustrating because our service dealer can’t even get us in until end of July. Of course the warranty expires end of July. Hahahaha

MD23679

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Do you remember the engine temps when you were going 40 ? Above 200 ? Below 210 ?