• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost some vitals, need some advice.

rawdub44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, I just bought a 2008 SX230 HO from a guy and I think he kept it in the water the whole time he had it. It had a lot of corrosion on the jet pumps but the impellers looked good. We took it out on the lake to pull the kids on the tube. When I started to plane out it started sounding funny and vibrating. I knew from this site that the situation was about to go from sugar to $hit real quick. And it did. I noticed it didn't want to go to the right and the steering wheel was binding when turning to the right. I stopped, looked, and saw that the port side steering deflector and reverse gate were GONE. They bent the steering cable when they left too. I'm thinking about replacing both steering cables, scupper valve (with a stainless one) and damn near everything from the impellers out. The corrosion is absolutely horrible. Any advice is appreciated.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Suggest that you pull those pumps out to assess. You seem to be on the right track with the rebuild plan. Good luck and keep us posted.

you can start looking around at yamahasportsplaza and the net to source parts.

rawdub44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm gonna check that yamahasportsplaza out. Thank you!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm gonna check that yamahasportsplaza out. Thank you!
you bet! Once you get the part numbers then Google to see if you can source them at the best price. The starboard pump may be able to be cleaned as is. Good luck!!

rawdub44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put new bearings and seals in the pump housings, and replaced everything from the impellers out. I learned the hard way about not seating the clean out plugs on my first trip out. On my second trip out I learned about sucking a piece of wood into the impeller. On my latest trip out everything was gravy. We even went out to Blackbeard island from Shellman Bluff here in Georgia. The steering is getting stiff so I'm gonna try to lube up the cables and see if that helps. I been doin' a lot of lurking and learning. Thank all of you guys, it has really helped me out more than y'all know.