• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Low compression on two cylinders in port engine

Red323red

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took my Yamaha 2011 242 limited s and the port engine will not go past 5 RPM did a compression check and found that cylinder two and three reads 60, 70psi. The boat has over 500 hours. I was thinking of using ENGINE RESTORE to help build up the compression. Does this sound like a good idea?

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do a leak down and see where your losing compression.
I've become very familiar tearing down my 1800 engine these past few days.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No. I think you have a serious problem.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No. I think you have a serious problem.
Well, I was trying to be optimistic for him and have learned how valuable leak down testing is thanks to #WREKS
But yes, those readings are too low and engine has 500hrs. There have been some with more.
Depends on care.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@14SX190 I was responding to the ENGINE RESTORE.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh yeah
That stuff won't work for OP

Red323red

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes out of the water the engine runs fine but when it's in the water it doesn't go past 5 RPMs. I'm thinking the leak is in the piston rings. The shop said it will cause about $10,000 to replace one engine. The boat was going 50mph when I first got it. Last year but now it goes about 30 mph

MiaYam

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes out of the water the engine runs fine but when it's in the water it doesn't go past 5 RPMs. I'm thinking the leak is in the piston rings. The shop said it will cause about $10,000 to replace one engine. The boat was going 50mph when I first got it. Last year but now it goes about 30 mph
What did you end up doing? Im having the same issue. Thanks.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What do the plugs on the low cyl's look like. Black carbon or oil soaked? Pictures of plugs please. The reason I ask is because fuel injectors streaming raw fuel into a cylinder can wash down the cyl walls.......washed walls (no oil) protection causes low compression and wear rings out over long periods of time.

It would take a lot of hours to damage the rings and cyl walls, lack of oil on cyl walls will lose compression and power. Any damage to 2 cyl's should show up on the plugs.