• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Low cost options to reduce engine noise?

Mike P

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi guys. Are there any low cost options out there that can reduce engine noise? I've seen some really expensive sound deadening/dampening material and I just figured some of you guys might have experimented with lower cost methods. I have a 2020 195S and the sound isn't necessarily a problem but I'd love to reduce it if it's easy and fairly inexpensive. Thanks in advance for any ideas you have.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had very good luck with open cell foarm from the fabric store. If you are in a high humidity area though you could have issues with it molding. I never had issues in the 3 years I had it in my boat though and it get's pretty sticky in MN summers and the boat sat on a lift. 2 big areas to focus on, perhaps even more so than the engine compartment are the fuel tank hatch and the stern of the boat. The stern of the boat is a HUGE problem because there is a lot of unobstructed space for the noise to bounce around and resonate back there. It acts like a drum. You'll have to take your the tray underneath the cleanout hatch, but I had noticable result creating a 2" foam baffled compartment system in there and covered as much of the fiberglass as I could while leaving about 6" clearance from the so the foam wouldn't get direct contact with any bilge water. The high-density stuff is not what you want for the frequencies produced by these boats. Your mind probably is not going to be blown by doing this, but it is a noticeable improvement.

Mike P

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I had very good luck with open cell foarm from the fabric store. If you are in a high humidity area though you could have issues with it molding. I never had issues in the 3 years I had it in my boat though and it get's pretty sticky in MN summers and the boat sat on a lift. 2 big areas to focus on, perhaps even more so than the engine compartment are the fuel tank hatch and the stern of the boat. The stern of the boat is a HUGE problem because there is a lot of unobstructed space for the noise to bounce around and resonate back there. It acts like a drum. You'll have to take your the tray underneath the cleanout hatch, but I had noticable result creating a 2" foam baffled compartment system in there and covered as much of the fiberglass as I could while leaving about 6" clearance from the so the foam wouldn't get direct contact with any bilge water. The high-density stuff is not what you want for the frequencies produced by these boats. Your mind probably is not going to be blown by doing this, but it is a noticeable improvement.
This is super helpful, thank you so much. Yes, I'm in central Florida so really high humidity but I keep the boat in my garage so maybe that will help. Thanks again!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recommend that you start by resealing the engine compartment hatch if it’s not already sealed well. You can use whether stripping or specific use stripping from places like McMaster carr, but If I’ve found foam pipe insulation (that is split down the side and has adhesive on one edge) works fine and is relatively inexpensive at $2 to $4 per 6’ section. If that doesn’t do enough for you, take a look at the corners that make up the engine compartment and if necessary seal them off as well. Duct tape (preferably on both sides of the joint) would work to close any gaps. Next is fill the space in the compartments next to the engine compartment. You don’t have to use foam, pillows or blankets work just as well. I have installed some sound absorbing foam in the area under the clean out tray but caution you not to put any foam on or too close the the water box/muffler (silver metal barrel connected to the engine) as those get warm/hot.

Mike P

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I recommend that you start by resealing the engine compartment hatch if it’s not already sealed well. You can use whether stripping or specific use stripping from places like McMaster carr, but If I’ve found foam pipe insulation (that is split down the side and has adhesive on one edge) works fine and is relatively inexpensive at $2 to $4 per 6’ section. If that doesn’t do enough for you, take a look at the corners that make up the engine compartment and if necessary seal them off as well. Duct tape (preferably on both sides of the joint) would work to close any gaps. Next is fill the space in the compartments next to the engine compartment. You don’t have to use foam, pillows or blankets work just as well. I have installed some sound absorbing foam in the area under the clean out tray but caution you not to put any foam on or too close the the water box/muffler (silver metal barrel connected to the engine) as those get warm/hot.
Thank you Ronnie!