• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Low Hours Boat Requiring Decision on Engine

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Hello all! I would like to receive advice on the following:

I have a 2010 SeaDoo 210 Wake (430 hp super charged). The boat is at Greenwood Lake NY. It only has 30 hours. The portside engine was, from the current shop I use, determined to be 'no good' because the cylinder walls are out of spec and the decks on the cylinder head and motor are not straight.

Right now, the mechanic would like to swap the motor for an SBT engine. I have heard mixed reviews on SBT albeit that their quality may be better more recently. The mechanic, who is on Greenwood Lake and also has the marina, is confident this is the best solution.

Questions:
1. SBT vs salvage/rebuild this exisitng motor?
2. If option two (rebuild existing) anyone know a shop in the North East that can actually do this?

Photos:
1. Cylanders 2. Quotes 3. Full engine 4. Photo of the boat

Thank you so much for any and all advice!!!!

Attachments

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know nothing about SBT engines so can’t comment on that. If I’d were you I’d be asking a lot of questions about his “no good”. How much out of spec? How important is this spec? Can the heads not be planed to make them fit straight? Why does this problem exist on engines that have only 30 hours? Etc.

The biggest problem with the BRP super charged engines as I understand it is the super chargers will eventually have to be rebuilt which could be expensive. But that could be a ways off with only 30 hours.

The other thing that makes me suspicious is why can’t this mechanic rebuild it? Seems a bit sketchy to me but I’m a little skeptical by nature.

not sure where Greenwood Lake is but the mechanic I take my boat to is very good IMO. He’s at Roberts in Malone.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you go with SBT, buy the two year warranty as well. They sell a one year or two year warranty, it matters. One year is what you buy if you are going to sell immediately, two years is what you buy if you plan to keep the boat.

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Understood, I appreciate the advice!
If you go with SBT, buy the two year warranty as well. They sell a one year or two year warranty, it matters. One year is what you buy if you are going to sell immediately, two years is what you buy if you plan to keep the boat.

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I know nothing about SBT engines so can’t comment on that. If I’d were you I’d be asking a lot of questions about his “no good”. How much out of spec? How important is this spec? Can the heads not be planed to make them fit straight? Why does this problem exist on engines that have only 30 hours? Etc.

The biggest problem with the BRP super charged engines as I understand it is the super chargers will eventually have to be rebuilt which could be expensive. But that could be a ways off with only 30 hours.

The other thing that makes me suspicious is why can’t this mechanic rebuild it? Seems a bit sketchy to me but I’m a little skeptical by nature.

not sure where Greenwood Lake is but the mechanic I take my boat to is very good IMO. He’s at Roberts in Malone.
Got it. Just googled for it, Can-Am, Sea-Doo, & Ski-Doo Motorsports Dealer in Malone NY | Roberts Sports of Malone is this it? I appreciate it, thank you!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Or, do not buy an SBT at all. SBT = COMPLETE GARBAGE. Warranty or not. I am basing this on personal experience, with a 2 year warranty - and only put about 30 hours on it in 2 summers and within one month out of warranty, it blew. They are built NOT TO LAST. Mind you, this was on my LS2000 2 stroke, but once a POS company always a POS company IMO. Failures are legendary. Google it. Then I had a local guy rebuild one and to this day, it is still going. I sold it 10 years ago. The reason the Yamaha blew was becuause I popped an oil line off. This was a design flaw with the 2 strokes where they didn't allow enough play in the line and over 6 years the lines became brittle, popped off (plastic ties - yea incredible) and burned the engiine with no oil This was a common occurrence back them and unfortunately I was one of the first to experience/publish the issue, back on the other yamaha site which had a wealth of 2 stroke knowledge. Take it as you want it, but you have been warned. Don't do it. And why can't your "mechanic" rebuild it? I'd run from this guy.

Last edited:

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Or, do not buy an SBT at all. SBT = COMPLETE GARBAGE. Warranty or not. I am basing this on personal experience, with a 2 year warranty - and only put about 30 hours on it in 2 summers and within one month out of warranty, it blew. They are built NOT TO LAST. Mind you, this was on my LS2000 2 stroke, but once a POS company always a POS company IMO. Failures are legendary. Google it. Then I had a local guy rebuild one and to this day, it is still going. I sold it 10 years ago. The reason the Yamaha blew was becuause I popped an oil line off. This was a design flaw with the 2 strokes where they didn't allow enough play in the line and over 6 years the lines became brittle, popped off (plastic ties - yea incredible) and burned the engiine with no oil This was a common occurrence back them and unfortunately I was one of the first to experience/publish the issue, back on the other yamaha site which had a wealth of 2 stroke knowledge. Take it as you want it, but you have been warned. Don't do it. And why can't your "mechanic" rebuild it? I'd run from this guy.
Noted - I greatly appreciate the advice!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My understanding is that the older supercharger rebuild is about $1,000. Or about $500 if you remove the supercharger and send it away and then reinstall it yourself. (This was the pricing a couple of years ago.) Expensive? 🤷‍♂️ The newer superchargers are suppose to be maintenance free.

Jim