• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lowrance transducer help

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking for some input on a thru-hull transducer. I have a Lowrance Elite 5-HDI that I'm moving over from our old boat to our new AR195 (super excited!!!). I'd like to ditch the transom mount and go with a thru-hull transducer. I'm told I can still use the transom mount as a thru-hull. But I'm exploring all my options.

How do I know what is compatible with my Lowrance, and any suggestions on what to go with? I've looked around and the variety is mind-boggling, with prices from low, to "OMG I can't believe they charge that much for a transducer!" ... Any help?

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know this is late on a reply. I used the transom mount skimmer as thru hull in my fsh. I used 4200 sealant in the bottom of the boat. Cleaned the hull an made a pocket of sealant to set the transducer in. Biggest thing is making sure there are no air bubbles in it when you set the transducer.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I did find that my stock transducer will do the shoot through method. So I did a similar thing as you and it seems to work pretty well.

Rascalrider

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I did find that my stock transducer will do the shoot through method. So I did a similar thing as you and it seems to work pretty well.
I know this post is from WAY BACK but in my search it popped up!

Where in the boat did you mount the transducer and has it worked effectively?

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mounted it right near where the speedometer is mounted in the hull. I built a small square out of cardboard and taped it to the hull. This served as a pocket, or dam to house the sealant so it wouldn't run all over the place. If memory serves, I used some marine epoxy. I filled the dam I made, then sunk the transducer in the epoxy. I rigged up a clamp to hold the transducer. Not only to hold it until the epoxy set, but to also hold it level so it shoot straight down (hull is angled, so if you put it flat against the hull, the transducer won't shoot straight down). I works pretty darn good. I can tell I lost a little bit of resolution. But I don't go fishing so much that I need all that detail. Bottom depth still works great. The only thing is that it can get a little confused sometimes at WOT - not sure why. But anything below 40mph it works great.

Rascalrider

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I mounted it right near where the speedometer is mounted in the hull. I built a small square out of cardboard and taped it to the hull. This served as a pocket, or dam to house the sealant so it wouldn't run all over the place. If memory serves, I used some marine epoxy. I filled the dam I made, then sunk the transducer in the epoxy. I rigged up a clamp to hold the transducer. Not only to hold it until the epoxy set, but to also hold it level so it shoot straight down (hull is angled, so if you put it flat against the hull, the transducer won't shoot straight down). I works pretty darn good. I can tell I lost a little bit of resolution. But I don't go fishing so much that I need all that detail. Bottom depth still works great. The only thing is that it can get a little confused sometimes at WOT - not sure why. But anything below 40mph it works great.
Would it be possible for you to snap a picture of the setup? Appreciate Your Help!