• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ls2000 hull repair

skywalker13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hello, new guy to the forum here (and pretty new to boating as well) and I’m hoping to get some info on a repair. I’ve searched the forum and internet but still having a hard time finding answers.

I have acquired a LS2000 from a close friend that has a pretty large hole in the hull. It’s definitely through the fiberglass and looks like it’s broke through some wood (type of OSB maybe?) on the inside too. Not sure if there’s a space between the two or if the fiberglass actually sits directly on the wood. Anyways, my questions are: does that wood need replaced/repaired? What’s the best way to repair the wood (replace whole board or cut out a clean hole and “plug” it with new wood/epoxy)? What’s the best way to get to the inside of the boat to fix the wood? Once wood is repaired, would I just layer fiberglass from the outside or both inside and out? Or would I repair inside of fiberglass first and then the wood?

I guess to put it simply, what is the best way to make this repair?

Im familiar on working with fiberglass. Just newer to boats and this type of repair. Basically, I would like confirmation so I can attempt this with some confidence that it’s being done correctly and that I have the right idea/not skipping any steps.

I’m looking to attempt this before going to an actual shop or selling it with the damage so please don’t just tell me to take it in somewhere.

Thank you all for any insight anyone might be able to give me. I appreciate it!

Attachments

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
About anything is fixable with enough time and money just not everything is worth it.

Unless you find fiberglass work fun, are emotionally attached to that boat, or on a personal growth mission the hull is not safely fixable within the value of that 20 year old boat.

Find yourself a different boat and sell that one as parts or part it out and sell the parts. Another thing you could do is find another boat hull in need of motors or upholstery lS2000, LX2000, lx210, or AR210 that all shared the same hull and some of the Exciters used the same engines.

I in a way am in the same boat (pun intended) I bought a clean looking AR210 last year for too much money to later find out it has major impact damage in the same spot that had bondo and paint concealing it. I'm currently working on transferring almost everything off of it into a mostly bare LX210 hull I bought. Time and money wise I probably should have parted the boat out. I gess I'm on a personal growth mission to build a boat now.

To more answer your question to fix that you need to cut out all the damaged fiberglass, grind a very generous taper (10x the thickness?) into the good fiberglass preferably on the inside and outside, apply several layers of fiberglass cloth and resen to atleast the original thickness of the hull. Then you can apply several layers of gelcoat over your repair, sand it to shape staring at 320 grit working your way up to 1000, compound, polish, and wax. You can get alot of good information from this guys ytube channel https://www.boatworkstoday.com/

skywalker13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
About anything is fixable with enough time and money just not everything is worth it.

Unless you find fiberglass work fun, are emotionally attached to that boat, or on a personal growth mission the hull is not safely fixable within the value of that 20 year old boat.

Find yourself a different boat and sell that one as parts or part it out and sell the parts. Another thing you could do is find another boat hull in need of motors or upholstery lS2000, LX2000, lx210, or AR210 that all shared the same hull and some of the Exciters used the same engines.

I in a way am in the same boat (pun intended) I bought a clean looking AR210 last year for too much money to later find out it has major impact damage in the same spot that had bondo and paint concealing it. I'm currently working on transferring almost everything off of it into a mostly bare LX210 hull I bought. Time and money wise I probably should have parted the boat out. I gess I'm on a personal growth mission to build a boat now.

To more answer your question to fix that you need to cut out all the damaged fiberglass, grind a very generous taper (10x the thickness?) into the good fiberglass preferably on the inside and outside, apply several layers of fiberglass cloth and resen to atleast the original thickness of the hull. Then you can apply several layers of gelcoat over your repair, sand it to shape staring at 320 grit working your way up to 1000, compound, polish, and wax. You can get alot of good information from this guys ytube channel https://www.boatworkstoday.com/
Thank you for your input! I figured that there was a good chance it wouldn’t be worth the repair. That’s part of the reason why I didn’t want to take it to a shop and spend just as much as it’s worth.

Everything else on the boat is just fine besides that hole. The friend that gave it to me crunched it with his truck, didn’t really have the time to play with it before it got the hole so he just wanted it gone after that. I traded it him a bit of labor for it. He also gave me pretty much all the materials to patch it so I wouldn’t really be put out anything besides time.

I liked your suggestion to look at other boat hulls or boats in need of certain parts. That thought never even crossed my mind. I will look into some of those other body styles and see if I can find anything reasonable in my area. I will also look into parting it out as well. Do you happen to know if there’s much of a market for this type of boats parts?

How has it been rebuilding a boat? That does sound pretty fun but tons of work too. From your experience, is it something that a beginner could do or would that not be recommended? I’m new to all of this in boating but I am quite handy in other similar areas.

Thank you for the link to that YouTube page and for breaking down the steps to take. I will go watch their videos and research a bit more.

As for what I thought was a type of broken wood inside, does that get patched on its own separately or should that get repaired with just the fiberglass?

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply. It’s been helpful and I appreciate it!

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Thank you for your input! I figured that there was a good chance it wouldn’t be worth the repair. That’s part of the reason why I didn’t want to take it to a shop and spend just as much as it’s worth.

Everything else on the boat is just fine besides that hole. The friend that gave it to me crunched it with his truck, didn’t really have the time to play with it before it got the hole so he just wanted it gone after that. I traded it him a bit of labor for it. He also gave me pretty much all the materials to patch it so I wouldn’t really be put out anything besides time.

I liked your suggestion to look at other boat hulls or boats in need of certain parts. That thought never even crossed my mind. I will look into some of those other body styles and see if I can find anything reasonable in my area. I will also look into parting it out as well. Do you happen to know if there’s much of a market for this type of boats parts?

How has it been rebuilding a boat? That does sound pretty fun but tons of work too. From your experience, is it something that a beginner could do or would that not be recommended? I’m new to all of this in boating but I am quite handy in other similar areas.

Thank you for the link to that YouTube page and for breaking down the steps to take. I will go watch their videos and research a bit more.

As for what I thought was a type of broken wood inside, does that get patched on its own separately or should that get repaired with just the fiberglass?

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply. It’s been helpful and I appreciate it!
I talked to a couple of shops on mine and sent them pictures and was getting verbal estimates of $10,000 plus to repair it obviously that was a no go. I would gess your repair would be in the same range but I'm sure that varies by area.

Unless the boat was being used recently and regularly before the damage it would be wise to assume everything else on the boat is not just fine as it has two short lived carburated two stroke engines you will have mechanical issues to work out on a 20 year old boat that has been sitting any length of time. It will be hard to find someone who is willing and able to work on a carburated two stroke boat now a days so if your not comfortable doing that kind of work yourself repairs will be expensive even parts by themselves are expensive six mikuni carburetor kits will run $350.

It's going to to take a boat load of fiberglass, resen, gelcoat, and sandpaper to fix a hole like that, usually I find when I take on a new project it takes atlest double the time and money I planned on spending.

As far as a market for parts you can sell anything on ebay, facebook has a ls2000 group, this forum has a classified section, and whatever your local area is.

Parts of rebuilding a boat has been satisfying I don't know I would call it fun I would have much rather been on the water with the boat today vs putting an engine in it today but I was happy for the progress. I dose not help rebuilding a boat was not my idea just the direction it went if it was my idea it would probably be more fun.

As far as a beginner attempting a boat restoration you will need to assess your time, money, skills, and dedication resources it will take more of every one than you think but every one starts somewhere take it one step at a time and eventually you will finish. However a boat restoration is a poor way to be interduced to boating.

As far as broken wood I'm not sure what you mean that looks to be above the floor level so im not sure what all wood is in that area i'm pretty sure it's all fiberglass. But nomatter the case you will have to remove all the broken fiberglass/wood and replace it with new while securely attaching the new to the old. That hole will have to get alot bigger and more intimidating before you are going to find good fiberglass to tie into. Any cracked gelcoat will need removed and anywhere the fiberglass is light in color it is internally broken and will need to be removed and replaced. I would also figure out how to get to the back side of the hole if at all possible to add strength to the inside. It may require cutting holes behind the seats, adding access holes that speakers could be put in to cover or cutting out the anker compartment liner.