• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lucky 13 ( L13 ) Anti-Cavitation Cone Install / 2016 AR240

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m trying to decide if I need to do this upgrade. I have a ‘14 AR190 and this will be our second season. Will it improve the hole shot enough to make a not so good water skier pop up more easily? My mission is to get my dad up skiing before it’s too late. He used to be a skier in his younger days, but hasn’t been in many years. He’s in his late 70’s and it’s sort of a bucket list thing for him to do one more time. We tried once last year and he couldn’t quite get up. He’s working on his strength. I’d be willing to invest some money if it might help it happen.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I had a lucky13 on my fzs. I spent an entire season tuning it and making nozzle mods. I tried prob 50 different combinations. In the end, i got the best speed and performance from the stock nozzle. I didn't however have any cavitation issues. I did with the stock prop because yamaha impellers just suck for this. As soon as i did the first mod to my ski the stock prop would not hold the power anymore and would just cavitate like a sob. I put on a solas concord and now at about 450hp it still holds with zero cavitation. From all my high perf work on my ski i have learned the best thing you can do for the holeshot is an impeller not changing the cone.

imperialxrat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will let you know what I think once I get it on the water. I didnt really have cavitation on acceleration (that I could tell), but the boat sure dragged in the turns. I was hoping to improve the hole shot. I also added the cobra fins to hopefully help with the low speed “s turns”, and the owner states they help get up on plane quicker.
B78E81DA-3BB6-4A2E-B650-CC41FC7A7EAF.jpeg

Last edited:

imperialxrat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was able to get the boat on the water today and was really pleased with the cobra fins and L13 cone. I felt like I had better acceleration, much better power while in a turn, and the low speed control was noticeably better. I did lose 2mph on the top speed, but I think it’s well worth it. Thanks a bunch for all the help.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick update, year 5 with the L13 cones:

Opened the bases up for maintenance after two seasons, including one season in wet slip.
Zero evidence of water intrusion.
The L13s are well made.

I replaced some of the grease and added some gear lub, put it all back together.
I intended to replace the o-rings but misplaced/couldn't find new ones I bought :eggonface:, so for now I ended up just reusing the old ones; everything looked pretty good.
1648773582411.jpeg
1648773612796.jpeg
1648773622020.jpeg

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Once the gear lube is in with the grease the grease stays fluid and keeps the bearings in great shape now we need to get you to clean the pump housing , is that corrosion or plants growing on it.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Once the gear lube is in with the grease the grease stays fluid and keeps the bearings in great shape now we need to get you to clean the pump housing , is that corrosion or plants growing on it.
It's some tiny barnacles (it's in fresh water) and a bunch of this aluminum oxide iridescent whitish crap, but no obvious pitting when it's scrapped, yet.

I do plan to clean it up, figured will need to cover it then or it will get worse fast.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was just messing with you

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's some tiny barnacles (it's in fresh water) and a bunch of this aluminum oxide iridescent whitish crap, but no obvious pitting when it's scrapped, yet.

I do plan to clean it up, figured will need to cover it then or it will get worse fast.
Nothing a bucket of Starbrite can’t handle.

FE007572-2E65-4A25-8C07-DE23375AB0C7.png